HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Anyone with Fibro and Obese considering or have had Lap-Band placed? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/641511-anyone-fibro-obese-considering-have-had-lap-band-placed.html)

Mora 10-13-2008 09:14 PM

Anyone with Fibro and Obese considering or have had Lap-Band placed?

Just wondering if anyone is considering the Lap Band and your thoughts. I am not inclined to have a by-pass that will change nutrient and medication absorption.

fireflyfields 01-21-2011 05:26 AM

Re: Anyone with Firbo and Obease considering or have had Lap-Band placed?

I actually was wondering exactly the same thing. I am overweight, always have been and probably always will be. I struggled to lose weight when I was healthy- it was extremely hard no matter what I tried (weight watchers, prescription meds, etc) But since I am not quite super overweight no doctor has ever suggested it.

Now with fibro I cannot lose weight, even things that used to work have no effect on my body. Last spring I was having a good spell and was walking 6 miles at least 5 days a week sometimes more and cut all all sweets and really cut my portion sizes way down. I lost nothing. Not one pound. In fact each time I go to the doctor I seem to gain weight each time.

Not sure though that I want to attempt something so drastic because I am wondering if it will actually work, how the changes could effect the fibro, and if it will stay off. And I am sure there is not a doctor out there that could tell me!

mimee 01-21-2011 10:58 AM

Re: Anyone with Fibro and Obese considering or have had Lap-Band placed?

[QUOTE=Mora;3760377]Just wondering if anyone is considering the Lap Band and your thoughts. I am not inclined to have a by-pass that will change nutrient and medication absorption.[/QUOTE]

I had lapband surgery towards the end of 2008 and have lost 120 pounds so far. It is by far the BEST thing I have ever done. It has not been the "easy" way, as some people thing, but it has worked for me and several other family members. I would do it again without any hesitation.:angel:

caribear 01-21-2011 12:13 PM

Mimee, have you noticed any changes in your pain since the weight loss? I have been struggling with my weight all my life, and of course doctors love to give you the line about "if you'd only loose weight, you wouldn't feel so (insert symptom here.)"

mimee 01-21-2011 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=caribear;4666364]Mimee, have you noticed any changes in your pain since the weight loss? I have been struggling with my weight all my life, and of course doctors love to give you the line about "if you'd only loose weight, you wouldn't feel so (insert symptom here.)"[/QUOTE]

Funny you should ask that - I just returned from the rheumy and was talking to her about this. I have always been overweight as well - and I'm hoping to lose an additional 100 pounds. I have just recently started noticing a difference in the pain ... but it's not anything great. I need a double knee replacement which will hopefully happen later this year, but until then I don't see much relief in sight. My job is stressful and that just adds to it. I will say that my "attitude" as a whole is much improved ... I think I don't have that "hopeless" feeling every time I step on the scale.

caribear 01-21-2011 12:28 PM

Well I'm glad it's helped somehow. Congratulations, I know it couldn't have been easy. I'm proud of you for all you've done, and I wish you luck in the future.

mimee 01-21-2011 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=caribear;4666378]Well I'm glad it's helped somehow. Congratulations, I know it couldn't have been easy. I'm proud of you for all you've done, and I wish you luck in the future.[/QUOTE]

I hope you find your answer as well! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

fireflyfields 01-22-2011 10:28 AM

Yes thank you so much for your input. And it is interesting that it has helped some but not a huge difference.

I agree-- I get a lot of - if you could just lose weight from a lot of people. I desperately tried with weight watchers and walking 6 miles 5 plus days a week for over 6 months to no avail last year. Did not even lose a pound. Doctor has nothing to say-- they look at you as though you aren't telling the truth. Nothing could be closer to the truth people!

:)