It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Angry My arms hurt so much!

The pain in my arms is terrible. It's been going on for weeks already. My shoulders, biceps, elbows, wrists, even my fingers (especially by the thumbs). It's a constant ache, but then I get sharp stabs of pain sometimes, which I really can't take. I have swelling also.

I often think that I have RA instead of fibro, but the doctor keeps saying no. I think they have better medications for RA because my sister has it and she is doing great. You wouldn't even know she has it! I'm totally miserable all the time. I want to just cut off my arms already! Another weekend when I can't get anything done because of pain!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
(female)

ruzalily HB User
Re: My arms hurt so much!

Rita, I can SO relate! My neck, arms, wrists, hands and fingers have hurt on and off so much for the past month I too want to just take them off. And I also think that I have an arthritis too because of my symptoms. I have the genetic marker for psoriatic arthritis, so maybe it's associated, but no positive ANA or RA. I sleep in wrist splints to keep my wrists straight, and I think that it makes a little bit of a difference. You may want to try it. I hope that you (we!) can find some relief soon. My thoughts are with you. Lily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

just wanted to pop in what works for me. arm pain can come from trigger points in your upper back between your shoulders. i get trigger point injections for this...the last 2 i had were in sept. and i am still doing well.

hope you both feel better soon..take care, bevann

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

jessbcuz10 HB User

WHat do they inject you with?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
(female)

skbrmom HB User

What are you taking for your fibro pain? My daughter takes a daily liquid vitamin called VM-100, and a magnesium malate supplement. Heat makes her feel worse, so we keep her bedroom cool. We have had much better luck managing her pain and her sleep difficulties by using the natural products versus any prescription meds. Your local natural foods store could be a great source of info and supplements. My daughter seldom suffers from too much discomfort and is able to sleep most nights. I hope you find some relief soon!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

I agree with the magnesium supplements.

We on here have various results with different treatments. Herbal things do not agree with me and cause gastric problems. I'm so glad that it works for so many.

I agree with the trigger points. You may have myofascial disease with the fibro. I've gotten lots of trigger point injections and they help to stop the pain cycle, but don't last very long for me. I do better getting deep tissue massages, you may also try myofascial release too. I'd rather let the massage therapist really get into those trigger points and break them up. If you have ropes of gristle-like knots, that is myofascial tissue. When you for instance take the skin off of raw chicken and there's that real thin silverylike membrane over the meat.......that's the myofascial tissue. So you can imagine, we are covered with that tissue from head to toe. My sister is a PT and when I go back home to IL to visit she gives me the whole massage thing. She said when she breaks that tissue up on the bottoms of my feet she says it crackles and pops like rice krispies cereal. I have one of those sherherd's hook things with the knobby ends here and there, that way I can get into the between the shoulder area myself.

You might try using moist heat and then lying on a tennisball or cut up pool noodle and rocking back and forth on it. That way you control the amount of pressure. When you get used to it press your body harder against the tennisball, etc.. Maybe you could get a trigger point guide and it will show you what set of muscles are in spasm and where the referred pain goes. I've found that invalueable, it goes with me on trips. I also have a shower head that I can change to different water flows, I love it. I get into the shower with hot water pulsating on my neck and shoulders and feel so much more relaxed. I know that sometimes just touching your skin barely hurts a lot, but for me because I have fewer trigger points that I'm not quite as sensative.

I wish you well.

DeBeachSiren

Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
(female)

Rita27 HB User

Thank you for the suggestions. DeBeach, I am going to ask my doctor about that myofascial disease. I do get those tight bands, but not necessarily where the pain is. I do take quite a few supplements with the magnesium, fish oil, calcium and Vit. D and multivitamins and Vit. B. I also drink Tonic water to prevent cramps and recently started gelatin, which someone recommended to me for my knees.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Hi you all. Most of my muscle and soft tissue pain is in my arms,shoulders,across my upper back,neck (front & back) down my arms to my fingers, my chest area. I haven;t hit on anything yet that gives me relief from this, I wake up like that can barely use my arms to sit up in bed. I can hear the back of neck crackle from stiffness.

Today my biggest problem is my fibro-meno head or I should say my head feels full and my face hurts and I can't think. I have to be able to think today-I have some very important research to do today and I could just go back to bed or sit and space out all day.

Don't you just wish you could take your arms off? I would like to do what Rosie O'Donnel does and hang from a bar-I don't know what it is but she showed it on the view and I want one.

Here's to a day with a clear head and no sore arms! Ya, right oh-cheerio

Closed Thread