It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
(male)

conanld HB User
Awful Leg and Buttox Muscle Aching

Hi all, this is my first post.

I am posting on this board because I have a condition that doesnít seem to perfectly align with any particular category, but may most closely align with Fibromyalgia. Frankly, I donít know it is but I have to do something about it because it is driving me crazy.

I have two doctors and neither one have been very helpful. One just says that it is muscle inflammation and that it will eventually go away, while the other one actually thinks that I am using this as an excuse to not exercise. This latter mind set is absolute nonsense because I do exercise and I want to exercise more, but I am being stonewalled by this terrible aching problem. This condition has been around for over a year at least.

The pain feels exactly like a severe flu muscle ache pain, but it seems to be primarily localized to the buttocks and the rear upper part of my thighs. It is a deep ache type of feeling.

Ironically, other than perhaps feeling a bit weak when itís really bad, it doesnít really bother me much when I am exercising. Itís not until the nighttime and especially very late at night (like 2 or 3 am) that I wake up multiple times in agony. Things like Ibuprofen used to help with getting me back to sleep, but now it has much less effect. I have to get up and try to stretch the ache out of the muscle areas, and sometimes with the Ibuprofen I can get back to sleep and sometimes I simply cannot.

Most doctors when they look at me just assume that I am healthy, because I look athletic, but unfortunately I have borderline high blood pressure, and unusually low levels of HDL so I am trying to get my Blood pressure down, as well as raise my low HDL levels, because both are significant cardiovascular risks. The trouble is that I simply cannot do any kind of aerobic exercise more than 1 day in a row (including just walking), because the muscle ache just becomes too great the next evening.

Any thoughts about what this might be, or how I can approach dealing with it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

MidnightDiva HB User
Re: Awful Leg and Buttox Muscle Aching

I have that a whole lot too. My Dr. told me it's the fibro. Heat seems to help mine just a little. Maybe one of your doctors can refer you to a rheumatologist.

My primary Dr. always acted like my hurting was no big deal and just blew it off. He always told me to take advil. A nurse practitioner was the one that listened to me and sent me to my rheumatologist.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
(male)

conanld HB User

Thank you for you reply. I'll have to try the heat treatment as soon as I send off this note

I have an appointment with my primary doctor in a little less than two weeks, so I'll ask him about a referral to a rheumatologist. Up until now, I didn't even know what specialty dealt with this problem.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDiva View Post
I have that a whole lot too. My Dr. told me it's the fibro. Heat seems to help mine just a little. Maybe one of your doctors can refer you to a rheumatologist.

My primary Dr. always acted like my hurting was no big deal and just blew it off. He always told me to take advil. A nurse practitioner was the one that listened to me and sent me to my rheumatologist.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
(male)

conanld HB User

Wow - the more I read about Fibromyalgia, the more apparent it becomes that I probably do have this problem. For example in addition to my awful aching, these are some other problems that I have that can be symptoms of Fibromyalgia:

Severe sleep problems.

Migraine headaches.

Extremely dry skin combined with an itching or crawling sensation.

Pain in my neck and back (that I just assumed was related to spinal degeneration but maybe not).

An odd sort of tingling in my hands (just assumed it was related to higher blood pressure).

Frequent Acid Reflux.

Feeling of stomach bloating, even after the smallest of meals - like half a cup of soup.

Recent difficulty in swallowing my vitamins (never had that before until recently).

Extreme sensitivity to certain smells and loud noise. Something burning in the oven will send me over the edge!

No cold temperature sensitivity, but I do have heat sensitivity to an extreme!

Difficulty focusing on nearby objects (like someone I may be talking with for example). I just assumed this was related to borderline high blood pressure or pre-diabetes, but maybe it isn't. I just recently had my eyes checked, and they were perfectly fine. My blood pressure really isn't that high, nor is my blood sugar level.

Occasional mental confusion. For example, should I take this exit or that exit off the freeway when I am in an area where I haven't been for a while.

Well if that isn't enough to shake a stick at, I guess I don't know what would be.

LD

Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Are you on statin medication? Some of your symptoms indicate it could be a statin problem.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
(male)

conanld HB User

No, I'm not taking anything like that.

The only medication that I was consistently using was Amitriptyline, and I finally got off of it about 2 weeks ago after many years of use. I was building tolerance and had to keep increasing the dosage.

I never did like it, and it caused me to gain unwanted weight. It also caused extreme night sweats, next day lethargy, and occasional heart arrhythmia. I really did need to come off of it because the side effects for me were just too dangerous. I made the decision to do so however, not my doctor.

My doctor prescribed it to me in order to control my migraine problem.

It may however have covered up some of my muscle pain that is now apparent without the medication.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiraven View Post
Are you on statin medication? Some of your symptoms indicate it could be a statin problem.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

"The only medication that I was consistently using was Amitriptyline"

Be sure to keep your copies of your medical records together, especially psych drugs. ssdi denies benefits for fibro most of the time. I got mine on the first try because i had 7 years of psych notes/meds/treatment.

Just a thought.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 AM   #8
(male)

conanld HB User

That is a very good idea, and I have already started keeping records of not only what I take, but how I feel on a day to day basis.

I have radically changed my diet, and perhaps just as of yesterday, it is finally starting to have a positive effect. I am on a diet similar to, although not quite as tight as a diebetic's diet.

The inflammation in my legs and posterior has gone down some, much to my relief. The pain is still there, but at least it isn't as unbearable as it once was.

Apparently, there is some relationship between the body's neurohormonal function and inflammation. I am pre-diabetic, so perhaps my neurohormonal system was out of balance, thus resulting in a possible immune related inflammation response.

I'm also experimenting with these two things. I just started taking them both last night:

Serrapeptase & Nattokinase.

They are both supposed to help with bodily inflammation. I should know more after a couple of weeks or so as to whether they help or not.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebuddy61 View Post
"The only medication that I was consistently using was Amitriptyline"

Be sure to keep your copies of your medical records together, especially psych drugs. ssdi denies benefits for fibro most of the time. I got mine on the first try because i had 7 years of psych notes/meds/treatment.

Just a thought.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

There are lots of other meds to try for migraine preventatives. I suffered all my life, badly, until I was put on an anticonvulsant and mood stabilizer. Beta blockers work, too.

Exercise - can you get to a pool? Aquatics and swimming are good for the kind of exercise we can tolerate.

Is your doctor open to experimenting with migraine meds?

Let us know how it goes.

Seaturtle

PS I get pains in my legs and flanks, too. Not in my butt per se, but on the sides on my hips. I also have RLS, though.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #10
(male)

conanld HB User

I used to suffer from migraines to a much greater extent than I do now. I was taking amatripytaline for the migraine prevention, but I hated taking it because of all of the bad side effects it had on me.

So far, I have been off of it for about 3 weeks, and I am feeling better, and have not had a migraine relapse. I was also taking Immitrex for those occasions when a migraine got out of control.

I do not have a pool anywhere near my home. The closest one is probably 35 miles away.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hi,

There are lots of other meds to try for migraine preventatives. I suffered all my life, badly, until I was put on an anticonvulsant and mood stabilizer. Beta blockers work, too.

Exercise - can you get to a pool? Aquatics and swimming are good for the kind of exercise we can tolerate.

Is your doctor open to experimenting with migraine meds?

Let us know how it goes.

Seaturtle

PS I get pains in my legs and flanks, too. Not in my butt per se, but on the sides on my hips. I also have RLS, though.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

LilliePup HB User

Hi, Your initial deep muscle pain in buttocks & upper thighs mimics my pain from 10 yrs ago. I was packing to move and I kept complaining about the pain in my butt & upper outside of the thigh. It was as if I had never exercised in my life and just did a marathon.

Anyhow, similar to you, I began to realize that many of the misc problems I had had for many years might all be part of FM.

I am interested in the idea of amitriptyline for migraine. I have taken a small dose (25 mg) for 2+ years to help me attain restful sleep. I now wonder if that is why my migraines have lessened.

Evening to night is tough for me too (just when I try to relax). I do find that if I force myself to exercise, I do feel better. It's that pivotal point-- just a bit but not too much! The pool therapy sounds good; yoga and pilates help too.

I also have gotten help from keeping my vitamin D level above 50 (please get your level checked!) and taking Calcium/Magnesium before bed.

I was on tramadol before and trying not to need it again, but I do take Diclofenac for inflamation due to Myofascial Pain.

Keep as active as you can!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Yes you can do other things and one would be to get rid of those two nuts that call themselves doctors. Go to a Spine Clinic and/or Sports Clinic and have them do some tests one of them being...EMG (Electromyography), Nerve Conduction Studies. If you need a referral get one of these <removed> docs to at least write you one. I can't believe that the two doctors aren't believing you but you aren't getting a good night sleep so you need to keep searching for a diagnosis and then you can get an appropriate treatment. At least at a Clinic they generally have all the doctors that can address whatever problem you might be having and they have the a day surgery if you need a cortisone shot to alleviate the pain. Well anyway keep looking for someone to do some testing on you because that pain is not fun. Good luck.

Last edited by HBMod07; 11-02-2008 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Do not make inappropriate comments about doctors

Old 11-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

I do not have fibro but happened to see the heading of this
thread. I am a dancer and have osteoarthritis everywhere but
have had a similar problem with buttock pain and upper thigh
pain but mine was on the outside of the upper thigh. If yours
is in the back of the thigh, this might no apply. Mine was from the sciatic nerve being pinched. It runs through a notch
in the lower lumbar spine and across the buttocks and then down the thigh and across the foot to the toes. It is the longest nerve in the body and is often pinched or tweaked for
one reason or another. I know about nerve inflammation but
not muscle. Just a thought...also you might try stretching
and not exercising....you can do this laying down....try to
stretch out the psoas muscle and the pirmiformis muslce.
Often muscles are very tight and grip the nerves running
through them...exercise just tightens them more ....look
up stretching these muscles and maybe it would help. Karen

Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
(male)

conanld HB User

According to my neurologist, there is no more effective medication for migraine than amitriptyline. The dosage that you are taking is right within the theraputic range too. It did help for me, but I just didn't like the side effects of the medicine. Still, it wouldn't stop all migraines, perhaps only about 60 percent of them in my case.

Lately, my muscle ache has been haphazard, which is a good thing because it used to be a constant pain at night, and even often during the day. I have significantly changed my diet to mimic a diabetic's diet, and I am taking every conceivable inflamation reducing supplement that I can think of to help manage the inflammation.

With luck, maybe it will fade entirely

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliePup View Post
Hi, Your initial deep muscle pain in buttocks & upper thighs mimics my pain from 10 yrs ago. I was packing to move and I kept complaining about the pain in my butt & upper outside of the thigh. It was as if I had never exercised in my life and just did a marathon.

Anyhow, similar to you, I began to realize that many of the misc problems I had had for many years might all be part of FM.

I am interested in the idea of amitriptyline for migraine. I have taken a small dose (25 mg) for 2+ years to help me attain restful sleep. I now wonder if that is why my migraines have lessened.

Evening to night is tough for me too (just when I try to relax). I do find that if I force myself to exercise, I do feel better. It's that pivotal point-- just a bit but not too much! The pool therapy sounds good; yoga and pilates help too.

I also have gotten help from keeping my vitamin D level above 50 (please get your level checked!) and taking Calcium/Magnesium before bed.

I was on tramadol before and trying not to need it again, but I do take Diclofenac for inflamation due to Myofascial Pain.

Keep as active as you can!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
(male)

conanld HB User

Exercise generally aggravates the condition, while not exercising seems to reduce the pain. I think that it is definately in my muscle, because I do a lot of stretching, and I also attempt to squeeze the muscle tissue with my hand. It feels like the muscle tissue itself is inflammed or something like that, because the feeling is both pleasant and unpleasant.

Still, I cannot rule out the possibility of a nerve issue, because I have had nerve issues before with my neck and my back. The muscles surrounding those nerves in my neck and back could get quite inflammed, although the pain sensation was a bit different from the ache sensation associated with my buttocks and upper rear thighs.

For my buttocks and thighs, it is as if there is a lot of lactic acid built up in the muscle tissue, but yet there is a difference. In other words, it's not really the same as a typical sore muscle feel from too much exercise. It's more like a deep muscle ache that simulates the feeling you get from a bad case of flu.

LD

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyblondied View Post
I do not have fibro but happened to see the heading of this
thread. I am a dancer and have osteoarthritis everywhere but
have had a similar problem with buttock pain and upper thigh
pain but mine was on the outside of the upper thigh. If yours
is in the back of the thigh, this might no apply. Mine was from the sciatic nerve being pinched. It runs through a notch
in the lower lumbar spine and across the buttocks and then down the thigh and across the foot to the toes. It is the longest nerve in the body and is often pinched or tweaked for
one reason or another. I know about nerve inflammation but
not muscle. Just a thought...also you might try stretching
and not exercising....you can do this laying down....try to
stretch out the psoas muscle and the pirmiformis muslce.
Often muscles are very tight and grip the nerves running
through them...exercise just tightens them more ....look
up stretching these muscles and maybe it would help. Karen

Closed Thread