It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

lori120 HB User
Pins & Needles or skin stinging pain or radiating heat?

I was diagnosed many months ago with fibromyalgia along with a couple other things. Besides muscle twitching and spasms, I started to have pins & needles in my finger tips. It progressed!! Now I suffer daily with pins & needles that turn into what feels like hundreds of electrical shocks that feel like burning. This happens throughout my entire body. I also have heat skin sensation without having fever. Anyone experience something like this? Any ideas?

The following user gives a hug of support to lori120:
Apolonius (04-30-2011)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Pins & Needles or skin stinging pain or radiating heat?

oh honey you are singin my song. I went through this horribly and could not get an answer on this board or anywhere. Get the book Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain by Devin Starlanyl. everything will fall into place. It is called chronic myofacial pain. You have nerve entrapment. See a pain mgmt doc that treat fms and cmp. call ahead. Mine listed fms and cmp as the first 2 problems that she treated. she was great. Don't let anyone tell you this is just fibro and you have to live with it. aint true my dear. Hope you take me advice. You will feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

lori120 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebuddy61 View Post
oh honey you are singin my song. I went through this horribly and could not get an answer on this board or anywhere. Get the book Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain by Devin Starlanyl. everything will fall into place. It is called chronic myofacial pain. You have nerve entrapment. See a pain mgmt doc that treat fms and cmp. call ahead. Mine listed fms and cmp as the first 2 problems that she treated. she was great. Don't let anyone tell you this is just fibro and you have to live with it. aint true my dear. Hope you take me advice. You will feel better.
Can you tell me how you were treated? Is it possible to have nerve intrapment throughout the entire spine? My pain is from my scalp to toes!

Are you saying that there's hope for me?? Has your treatment helped you?

Thanks!
Lori

Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Lori120 - I too have those pins and needles, stinging pain and radiating heat... Sometimes it feels like I have red ants on me and then someone is slicing me with razor blades on top of that. I too have fibro and chronic myofascial pain along with many other illnesses. I didn't think I would ever get rid of the pins and needles. Sometimes that is due to neuropathy pain... My pain doc prescribed neurotin for that... He started out with 100 mg 3 x a day and increased it to 300 mg 3 x per day... I am not saying I don't ever have the pins and needles anymore but it is not nearly as bad as before... It doesn't help the radiating heat that feels like ants and razor blades but the tingling is not as bad. Something else that helps with the tingling in my feet is that I keep my tennis shoes on almost all day and that helps them not tingle so much. Just a thought. Jenn

Old 11-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori120 View Post
Can you tell me how you were treated? Is it possible to have nerve intrapment throughout the entire spine? My pain is from my scalp to toes!

Are you saying that there's hope for me?? Has your treatment helped you?

Thanks!
Lori
There is hope for you. You are going to get better. you just need to know how to take care of yourself and how to manage you medical care.

If you got the book, it would be such a help in understanding fms and cmp.

Yes there is hope for you. definitely. Yes my treatment has helped me to the point that i am almost symptom free. I will list the treatments but you need to remember that we are all different. sometimes it doesn't even make sense, just suddenly we get better.

For CMP chronic myofascial pain:
trigger point injections (not tender point) by a pain mgmt doctor. trigger points can entrap nerves and refer pain. and you can have chains of these babies from head to foot; i did.
physical therapy to release trigger points. (at the same time period as injections, lasted for about a year)
chiropractic adjustments because the muscles in my back were knotted and my spine needed adjustments. (I would go have the trp injections and then go to the chiropractor so what he did would stay put. for about 6 months)
tens unit on my neck, shoulders, back and buttocks helped when i took long rides in the car. lasted just a few months.
One thing that really helped with the cmp was socks filled with warm rice from the microwave and draped over my shoulders. Sitting up straight. Not overusing muscles groups. like holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder.

Finally it was the trigger point injections done under xray, they are the size of a pea, she injected each one. that was about a year ago. I am doing so well.

I think for me the cmp hit and then the fms. lots of people have cmp without having fms and vice versa. Just don't ever think it is all the same.

treatment for fms: stopped multi-tasking, driving fast, listening to loud music, doing too much in one day. wearing soft clothes. staying warm, keeping it simple because the least amount of anxiety/stress would throw me into a flare, taking naps, taking vitamins, I can't remember every single thing i did.

Meds for cmp: percocet, ultram, flexeril which also helps me sleep.
Meds for fms: neurontin and ultram for burning skin sensation. (see this is a definite fms symptom, for no reason by brain is receiving/sending pain messages. )
Meds from my psych: xanax then valium, wellbutrin, abilify, lamictal which also helps me sleep. (fms is cns, that means brain and that includes depression. and depression can cause more pain and so can anxiety, so my brain had to be treated too.)

this is not a progressive illness. Some people don't get better and some get worse. but it is not a given that you will get worse. fms is central nervous system. cmp is muscular trigger points.

I just wish that you would order the book because it would help you understand so much better. there are all kinds of misinformation floating around out there.

right now at the onset, i would rest, but don't lay in bed all day. and find a pain mgmt doc that treats fms and cmp. Mine was referred by me from my neurologist. Try not to be anxious. I was freaking out and it just made the fms so much worse.

I could say more but it would be easier on the both of us if you would just get the book.

I really hope that you are feeling better soon. I must admit that i had to quit working 2 weeks after onset. I couldn't move my head or neck. My back was like a weight lifters, all muscular because of the trigger points contracting the muscles. I had trp injections. but i didn't stay with that doc, because he didn't believe in fms. he thought i was crazy. Happens alot with fms. Because it cannot be explained. Well, it can but it is very complicated and some of it is based on theories.

Let us know how you're doing.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

lori120 HB User

I'm going to order the book. I have a real problem with panic for the last year and I found it to be getting worse. My liver enzymes elevated and had to go off of most of my meds. I also had to get off of my cholesterol drug, Lipitor. Now my cholesterol is high again. My liver enzymes went down a bit but recently went back up..and that after I went off other toxic meds. I'm taking xanax and nexium now. I know I need other meds, but how can I possibly take them with elevated liver enzymes? That's one reason I'm panicking. If there's a pill that can help me, I can't take it. I feel I'm in a catch22. In order to heal one condition, I have to make another condition worse? I can sure use something like neurton and a pain pill!

Thanks for your kindness!
Lori

Old 11-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

BriansMom444 HB User

Hi,

I have to just ask if what you feel is the same as me & also if this can be Myofacial pain Syndrom. (Im not familiar w/ it)

Heres a few weird things but hey, ya never know what someone else gets!

I woke up the other night & felt a funny skin sensation on my lower arm (the inner side). It felt like when I touched it like broken glass was there. This feeling actually woke me up..........when rolling in bed, i felt it & got up. Thats the best way i can describe it, It lasted a few days and now its gone. I would only feel it if I rubbed along that area?

Also..........heres another strange thing. Same, kinda comes & goes. When i walk & my foot is in a certain position, I get an electric zap in one spot on the bottom of my foot. It feels like a nerve pop. Strange!!

Curious to know what you think. Im actually gonna post this too.

THX!

Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

BriansMom444 - The electric zap is a very good description of what happens to me. This shows up most when I first get out of bed in the morning. It is in both feet. When I walk it makes it even worse. Once I get my morning neurotin in me it usually lets up but not always. I do wear my tennis shoes all day. I wear the mule type that I just slide my foot into so I don't have to worry about shoe strings as the fingers don't work as well anymore.

I am also very sensitive to many materials and fabrics whereas I didn't use to be. If there is a wrinkle in the sheets, it will wake me up. Just silly things like that... Jenn

Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
(female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User

I know this is an older post, but I just read it and wanted to give you an answer on the electrical shock feeling on the bottom of your feet. I had the same thing, at the time that I had it I was a sales rep and was on my feet most of the day in heels. I went to a podiatrist and was told it was a Neuroma (not sure that is the correct spelling) It's an irritated nerve that gets inflamed from too tight of shoes or shoes that aren't good for your feet. I had both nerves removed and it never happened again. You described it exactly how I use to describe mine, so it's probably the same thing. Hope you've worked it out for yourselves.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
(female)

ebakos HB User

Hi, Just found this post, I am new to the group. I have been going crazy with the pins/needles/burning/aching first started in feet and then hands, and now progressing. I am waiting to see a neuro. but in Canada it can take time, as well as thinking of paying to have a mri done. I had a diagnosis of fibro years ago, and have suffered from aches/pains/stiffness but nothing like this tingling pins/needles. Also I think i am going thru menopause as well. Any other gals find that fibro got worse thru menopause? I am curious about this book you mentioned, so will try to look it up.....just going crazy here! Went on vacation, and the heat seemed to flare it up worse, the tingling and fatigue. At least i was able to sleep lots......thanks for listening,
ebakos

Closed Thread