It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
(male)

cpilotw HB User
Celebrex and Cymbalta...TMJ too?

After taking Lexapro 10mg/day with increased anxiety, I told my general physician who has been seeing me for years and years (and who actually diagnosed my mother with cancer and helped her throughout until the end) that I needed to switch to something different. It does help that he will soon be my Uncle, too.

I was in the waiting room and saw some brochures on the other side of the room. I picked up the Cymbalta brochure and one of the conditions it treats is fibromyalgia. Which to me, seems promising. I took the Celebrex for the first time last night and will take one again this morning to start the regular dosage of 1/day and then take the Cymbalta 30mg for 7 days then 60/mg a day after that.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Also, I am going to get intouch with my oral surgeon because I've always had mouth/jaw problems so I want to be sure I have TMJ, as that can be a suspect in the pain that I am having as well. My father's girlfriend had TMJ and said that once they relieved that pain, the pain in her body seemed to reside as well. It's hard for me to chew gum for very long, my jaw never feels relaxed in any position.

We will see. Any help in taking Celebrex and Cymbalta as well as any info or progress you've seen with it will be greatly appreciated...and any info on TMJ diagnosis would be great, too.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Celebrex and Cymbalta...TMJ too?

hi cp,
welcome!
ah, celebrex. love what that little capsule does for me. i have been on it for several months now and my tmj, r.a., o.a., fibro, etc. feel so much better. i know it is this pill because i have to quit it for certain procedures and i really feel the difference!!!
never took cymbalta. i am one of the fortunate few who do not have depression with my fibro. i cannot imagine how hard that must be.
oh, and with celebrex if you are not in pain you don't have to take it. cool. as far as i know it is the only as needed non steroidal anti-inflammitory around. i could be wrong. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Last edited by bluelakelady; 11-26-2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: probably misspelled a word, but can't find the how in my head. giggle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
(male)

cpilotw HB User

Did Celebrex cause any upset stomach or diarrhea symptoms when first taking this med? I noticed last night when I took it, I had a slight stomach ache...nothing too bad but today I took it this morning and it's making my stomach upset and not to gross anyone out...but diarrhea too. I see these as common/less-serious side effects but does this go away with time?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
(male)

cpilotw HB User

Someone? Please.

I'm experiencing dry mouth, some nausea, and diarrhea. This day 1 with cymbalta and day 2 with celebrex (as mentioned above, I took celebrex last night as the dr. told me during my appointment yesterday).

Last edited by cpilotw; 11-26-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

did you take it with food? my bottle says to take with food. i had the delightful symptoms you describe at first. still get the dry mouth and sometimes the liquid stools.
i am not a fan of cymbalta. my daughter used to take it. she never ate and felt crummy the whole time she was on it. now she is on something different and had put some weight back on and laughs about her new desire to eat. she's just a little thing.
i would suggest you call your doctor. it's always okay to say "try something else doc".
with starting 2 new meds at the same time it is going to be hard to tell which pill is doing what.
hope you feel better today.
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 11-27-2008 at 05:57 AM. Reason: add a sentence.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
(male)

cpilotw HB User

Well, I called my doctor yesterday and he said for me to try the Cymbalta only today and no stool later, then take the Celebrex. I am trying to Cymbalta alone first. Just took it in the midst of eating breakfast. If I have a stool later than it will be because of the Cymbalta.

My luck with this drug so far...well, I don't know. It's only day 2. From what other people say, I'm kinda afraid to get on this medication. Though, I am willing to give it a try. I feel like my heart is still racing a bit, much like what the Lexapro did for me. Though, it might be just my anxiety in hoping this drug HELPS rather than causes me more heartache and disappointment. I am not sure as to if I gave Lexapro a fair try.

Last edited by cpilotw; 11-27-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
(male)

cpilotw HB User

So far today, no stool. I felt like something was brewing. I just took the Celebrex and it's quarter til 5 CST. So we will see. I'm praying to God that this combo will work.

Though, one concern I have is the anxiety still. It seems like it's the same as I had with the Lexapro...maybe it's from if waiting for it to work...more like hoping.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
(male)

cpilotw HB User

Anyone? Please help with your input.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

hi kiddo,
i may be wrong but i am thinking i recall it takes about a month to notice any benefit from cymbalta. as for celebrex helping with pain, you should notice that after a few days. right now i am only taking it if there is pain.
i am so sorry you have to cope with heart racing anxiety. all i can offer is to breath deeply and slowly when that happens. i have a breathing exercise i do when i need to remember to breath properly and relax.
3 breaths in the nose and out the mouth
3 breaths in the mouth and out the nose
3 breaths in and out the nose
3 breaths in and out the mouth
some of the girls here use it too. the focus on breath and the exercise takes ones mind away from the fear and pain. not to say it stops it. just the oxygen getting in fully i think is what happens and our tissue says yipeee, air!!
peace my new friend, peace,
blue

Old 11-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi cpilotw. I don't have any experience with cymbalta, like blue I don't need depression meds. I did take celebrex several years back and I remember it working quit well. My doc even up my dose to two a day if needed. I no longer take it but I don't remember having any trouble with my stomach or intestines. I do have IBS but don't remember any problems. I also took it with food as I do all my meds, except the ones that specifically tell you not too.

Try blues breathing exercise to help with your anxiety, I do it every night to help me relax to fall asleep. I use it a lot just to get myself to slow down with my sometimes hectic life. Try it it works!

Glojer

Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

Cymbalta was a nightmare for me. Celebrex, Ultram, (any of these arthritis type medicines) messed up my GI tract something awful. I got bloated, pain and when I could do #2, it was explosive. So see we all are different. You have to see for yourself, but it does take a while to get into your system like Blue said.

Sometimes we get anxious when starting something new. Do like Blue says breathe easy and relax. I get these anxiety things rarely, but when I do I just keep thinking to myself to calm down and it'll be over soon.

I wish you well.
DeBeachSiren

Closed Thread