It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

blackdog5 HB User
Pain under the fingernails

I am experiencing a pretty weird symptom. At times I feel like there is extreme pressure under my fingernails, especially my thumbs. This is causing some substantial pain and it affects the feeling for how hard I am gripping something. When this happens I drop things a lot. I have never read anything on these boards like this. Does anyone else get this?

Male 46 years old

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

Serenity81 HB User
Re: Pain under the fingernails

I sometimes get achy and stiff in my hands... almost a swollen feeling. My doctor told me that it could possibly be an indication of Reynaud's because I guess with having FM, we're often times more prone to autoimmune disorders.

I would definitely mention it to your doc.... just in case it's something more serious like a nerve issue.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

I've read a lot of stuff over the 17+ years of this and I've never heard of this one. I've got a friend with Reynaud's and she says if feels like frostbiten fingertips. Are you diabetic? Just wondering since it sounds like a nerve issue. I go through periods of not being able to grip things, but it's because my hands are stiff. I agree, you'd better get this checked out. Best of luck and let us know what you find out.

DeBeachSiren

Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
(male)

blackdog5 HB User

I am not diabetic (I get checked every 6 months or so because it runs in my family). My dr just kind of shakes his head when I tell him some of my symptoms. He is a great dr and tries everything he can to help me with this. I feel his frustration because he really wants to help. I really think these boards are very helpful because we may have to figure out what works for us by ourselves. I appreciate the feedback and I have found much help here already. It's kind of strange to be one of the few guys posting here but I believe there are many more but they are hesitant to come forward because this is considered a "woman's disease". I think if every man with fibro came forward there would probably not be such a big gap in the statistics between men and women.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

deltastarr HB User

I wonder about the pain under the nails being fungus type situation. I get pain under my toenails when fungus appears there. Those kinds of fungus can grow in anyone...especially those with sluggish thyroid, diabetes, or in one that eats more sugar than needed. I have sluggish thyroid and had "goodies" around the Holidays. That can do it. I do daily bubble baths and foot soaks...no matter how clean, those kinds of nail fungus problems can happen. Can happen in feet from wet sneakers, sweating, spa shower floors. Finger nail type, I haven't heard of so much but is possible, I suppose as Fibro seems to cause lots of "things" in the body to behave differently. Nails being brittle, hard, thick, discolored, split/break easily can be sign of fungus problem. It does cause painfulness. There are some over the counter type remedies. Hugs and Blessings.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
(female)

MTangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog5 View Post
I am experiencing a pretty weird symptom. At times I feel like there is extreme pressure under my fingernails, especially my thumbs. This is causing some substantial pain and it affects the feeling for how hard I am gripping something. When this happens I drop things a lot. I have never read anything on these boards like this. Does anyone else get this?

Male 46 years old
I have pressure under my fingernails but mostly both of my thumbs. It's slightly painful but more uncomfortable than anything. I have noticed that my hands and arms will feel cold at the same time. I woke up one morning and one of my hands was freezing and seemed to take quite a while that morning to go away. It's only happened a few times. It happened again last night, so I did a search online to find out if it was a symptom of something and ran across this forum and your post. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in April of this year. I'm not sure what to think, but I'm going to let my doctor know.

Closed Thread