It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Fibro and Lupus? please help!

When I was diagnosed with fibro I had some blood work done for Lyme disease, Rheumatoid arthritis and Lupus {which came back positive} does this mean I don't have Fibro and just lupus? I heard a lot of people that have fibro have lupus. Can you die from it? I'm a bit freaked out!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
(female)

deltastarr HB User
Re: Fibro and Lupus? please help!

Geepers, It seems like there are so many diseases/illnesses that have over-lapping symptoms like Fibro presents. MS is another one that has some similarities. Lupus treatment has improved and there are so many new and different ways to treat some of those kinds of illnesses nowadays. I know of at least 2 pals of mine that were diagnosed a long time ago and they are managing quite well. The one lady runs a full time business and has for years. Sending hugs and Blessings your way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltastarr View Post
Geepers, It seems like there are so many diseases/illnesses that have over-lapping symptoms like Fibro presents. MS is another one that has some similarities. Lupus treatment has improved and there are so many new and different ways to treat some of those kinds of illnesses nowadays. I know of at least 2 pals of mine that were diagnosed a long time ago and they are managing quite well. The one lady runs a full time business and has for years. Sending hugs and Blessings your way.
I have no symptoms of lupus just the muscle pain. I was talking to my friend who have had lupus for many years. And she said just because the ana test is positive does not mean anything. Some people test positive and have it some people test negative and have it. But the fact that I hardly have any symptoms means I don't have it or I have a mild case. I still think I have Fibro I had all the tender points when I was tested specially my back. I have more symptoms from Fibro then I do Lupus. I'll know more Feb 13th!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

Snickers60 HB User

Snowbunny are you saying all the test came back positive: for lupus, RA and lyme ? I don't understand.

Perhaps you just had a high sed rate.

I have all the symptoms of lupus, even the butterfly rash on my face occasionally, but have never tested positive.

Let us know what the doc says after the 13th when you go. Should be interesting.

It's a mixed bag for sure.

Blessings and Health, Snickers60

Old 01-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers60 View Post
Snowbunny are you saying all the test came back positive: for lupus, RA and lyme ? I don't understand.

Perhaps you just had a high sed rate.

I have all the symptoms of lupus, even the butterfly rash on my face occasionally, but have never tested positive.

Let us know what the doc says after the 13th when you go. Should be interesting.

It's a mixed bag for sure.

Blessings and Health, Snickers60
no Lyme was negative. But the lupus ANA screening test came back positive. But the only symptom I have of Lupus is muscle pain. I never had the rash or anything.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
(female)

deltastarr HB User
Smile Re: Fibro and Lupus? please help!

Yep, those dang tests....I have been confused for years relevant to the tests. I had blood tests years ago and that doctor said I had Lupus. Years later, I had 2 other docotors say I didn't have Lupus judging from test results they performed.. I feel like you in regard to it all...I feel sure my problem is Fibromyalgia. I have found websites that have LONG lists for symptoms for FM and I have or had ALL symptoms for ages. I have had skin rashes and joint/muscle aches but again, FM can cause those. Another time it was thought my problems were schleraderma (sp), then told it wasn't.Geepers already.I think Fibro pretty well covers what is really going on for me. The "trigger point" test really "proves" a lot...blood tests, I'm never so sure of already. Yikes, I get so cornfused! If you don't feel like you have any of the Lupus symptoms, that IS a good sign I would think/hope. Hugs/Blessings, deltastarr

Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yep, those dang tests....I have been confused for years relevant to the tests. I had blood tests years ago and that doctor said I had Lupus. Years later, I had 2 other docotors say I didn't have Lupus judging from test results they performed.. I feel like you in regard to it all...I feel sure my problem is Fibromyalgia. I have found websites that have LONG lists for symptoms for FM and I have or had ALL symptoms for ages. I have had skin rashes and joint/muscle aches but again, FM can cause those. Another time it was thought my problems were schleraderma (sp), then told it wasn't.Geepers already.I think Fibro pretty well covers what is really going on for me. The "trigger point" test really "proves" a lot...blood tests, I'm never so sure of already. Yikes, I get so cornfused! If you don't feel like you have any of the Lupus symptoms, that IS a good sign I would think/hope. Hugs/Blessings, deltastarr
It's so confusing. All my symptoms point to Fibro I have more Fibro symptoms then Lupus. The only symptom of lupus is muscle pain. OMG scelederma. THAT IS FREAKY. OMG i'm so afraid of that disease don't even watch the movie "for hope" scared the crap out of me.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
(female)

deltastarr HB User

I have been mixed up and "creeped out" by the various test results and doctors opinions through the years, for sure. The way I look at it all now is that I must have Fibromyalgia for sure...all those other diseases...well, I figure Ida been long "gone" by now....yet, like the Energizor Bunny, I take a lickin and keep on tickin. Have felt so crappy and in pain for so many years, yet, somehow...I'm still chuggin along. Sometimes, when I'm having a really BAD, major FM flareup, I get scared somewhat. Especially when it feels like deep inner organ pain...yet, sooner or later it lets up. For over 20 years its been a merry-go-round like that yet my ole bod keeps on keepin on, so, I gotta figure it is the FM thingy. But, I do have my moments...scary ones. I don't like when I get that pain in the left rib as it does feel like a heart thing....yet, I take my blood pressure/pulse and it is normal. That bone pain in that area can really be crappy/creepy. Hugs/Blessings. deltastarr

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I have been mixed up and "creeped out" by the various test results and doctors opinions through the years, for sure. The way I look at it all now is that I must have Fibromyalgia for sure...all those other diseases...well, I figure Ida been long "gone" by now....yet, like the Energizor Bunny, I take a lickin and keep on tickin. Have felt so crappy and in pain for so many years, yet, somehow...I'm still chuggin along. Sometimes, when I'm having a really BAD, major FM flareup, I get scared somewhat. Especially when it feels like deep inner organ pain...yet, sooner or later it lets up. For over 20 years its been a merry-go-round like that yet my ole bod keeps on keepin on, so, I gotta figure it is the FM thingy. But, I do have my moments...scary ones. I don't like when I get that pain in the left rib as it does feel like a heart thing....yet, I take my blood pressure/pulse and it is normal. That bone pain in that area can really be crappy/creepy. Hugs/Blessings. deltastarr
This is exactly how I feel. I have had this pain for almost 2 years I thought I was dying but hey i'm still here. I was diagnosed with Fibro. I still think I don't have lupus because of the pain and where it is. I do have high bloof pressure due to being overweight and my anxiety. I'm sure if the doc thought It was serious she would tell me. I don't take my blood pressure and pulse at home. that would drive me crazy with my anxiety.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
(female)

deltastarr HB User

I've heard that eating oatmeal can help lower cholesteral levels and that taking in foods rich in potassium can help lower blood pressure. My New Years resolution was to start and try eating more of those kinda foods. Potassium foods, oranges, bananas, sweet potatoes, o.j. to name a few. I have a "sweet tooth", so now I try and only buy those soft, fresh oatmeal cookies with raisins in them. Will see...I have gained too much weight from FM, sluggish thyroid and lack of exercise because of pain. Hugs/deltastarr

Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I have had fibro diagnosis for several years now, but recently after seeing my Rheumie, I noticed he had marked lupus as a diagnostic code on my office paperwork. I really did not think much of it until I started reading and it seems that the Plaquenil treatment I have been taking for about 9 months now is also used for lupus. I also had some immune studies that were indicative of lupus and some symptoms I had discarded, such as circular lesions that resembled chicken pox, that I could not attribute to the FMS. I really can't talk to the doctor unless I go in, so I may have to go in just for a talk session to clarify. But I have always felt I had something systemic, not minimizing the FMS symptoms, but realizing that my symptoms overall did not fit FMS only. It is challenging when we have several syndromes, health issues.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hmm. see I have no lupus symptoms at all! I will find out more when I go to the doctors in Feb I hope.

Closed Thread