It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
people with Anxiety disorders are prone to Fibro

I had an appointment with my anxiety doctor today and told him I was diagnosed with Fibro and he told me people that have anxiety disorders are prone to getting Fibromyalgia. Did anyone know this? I was surprised at this. I definably think this could be why I have Fibro!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
Re: people with Anxiety disorders are prone to Fibro

I have never heard this..but yah..I guess I can relate.
I was dx with Anxiety a few years back after my hysterectomy. Hart palps, dizzyness, almost fainting..I am on xanax for that. They said the anxiety was probaly triggered by the Hysterectomy. (though I did have hart palps prior to the hyst, but it got severe after the hyst.)

Im thinking this Fibro is a Domino Effect

The Following User Says Thank You to djl For This Useful Post:
Jeronomo (05-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi ya x years ago l read some books on anxiety etc when l was having it myself. What l learnt was when you leave anxiety and the likes stress etc thats when you start with mysterious pains etc it eats away at you the longer it goes untreated or dealt with then you start getting other symptoms its hard to describe but if you get the chance do some reading Claire weekes is really good (old australian author l think) good luck x

Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Have never heard that. Which came first the anxiety or the fibro seems to be the question for me. I have never had anxiety so I can't relate and I am certainly not judging, but having fibro can certainly cause anxiety. Anyway I think it could be the old chicken or the egg argument. Very interesting.

Glojer

Old 01-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Totally with you!! Which came first??? What l dont agree with is doctors blaming everything on to stress/anxiety/depression!!! I know l feel fine until im in pain and then l will get fed up or anxious after weeks of been stuck in doors in agony grrr

Old 01-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I had terrible anxiety prior to getting fibro;however I think I have had chronic fatigue most of my adult life.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Niecsey so with you on that one. When docs don't want to or can't figure out what is wrong, it seems they use multiple choice.
A. Stress
B. Depression
C. Your not getting any younger
D. All or any combination of the above.

When they say this, the grade I give them is F minus.

Glojer

Old 01-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would like to add some other letters of the alphabet to that F but lm a Lady lol x Yea when they have no idea get the pen out and prescribe the anti d's!!! If they felt this pain the would apologise!!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Your doctor apparently understands the connection. But did he explain things beyond the tendancy? Carbohydrate intolerance which comes with Hypoglycemia (a common FMS problem) causes hunger tremors, pounding heart, panic attacks, faintness, fainting, intense hunger pangs, severe sugar cravings. The FMS part of the spectrum causes impaired concentration and anxiety. So you have double trouble if you have Hypoglycemia along with having FMS. When hypoglycemia is the main culprit, symptoms are experienced even in the presence of normal blood sugar because of the extensive endocrine and metabolic imbalances brought about by months of insulin-induced stress. Anxiety/panic attacks can be a complicated issue which a lot of doctors do not have the knowledge to correct, therefore patients may have only a partial relief. I'd suggest inquiring with your doctor the next time you see him. Maybe he can help you sort through the issues that have caused your anxiety to provide better medical application and diet changes.

Kirstee

Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

I get all those symptoms with Anxiety too. So yea I knew about it. I had Anxiety for years so it very well could of caused my Fibro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstee View Post
Your doctor apparently understands the connection. But did he explain things beyond the tendancy? Carbohydrate intolerance which comes with Hypoglycemia (a common FMS problem) causes hunger tremors, pounding heart, panic attacks, faintness, fainting, intense hunger pangs, severe sugar cravings. The FMS part of the spectrum causes impaired concentration and anxiety. So you have double trouble if you have Hypoglycemia along with having FMS. When hypoglycemia is the main culprit, symptoms are experienced even in the presence of normal blood sugar because of the extensive endocrine and metabolic imbalances brought about by months of insulin-induced stress. Anxiety/panic attacks can be a complicated issue which a lot of doctors do not have the knowledge to correct, therefore patients may have only a partial relief. I'd suggest inquiring with your doctor the next time you see him. Maybe he can help you sort through the issues that have caused your anxiety to provide better medical application and diet changes.

Kirstee

Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

It seems as if I was born with anxiety. I've always been a nervous wreck and the panic attacks don't help either.

I've always felt that I'm hypoglycemic but tests say I'm not...I just get so ill if I don't eat and it seems I eat ALL the time but I can get the 'right' food to stop me from eating so I just keep eating until I eat something that stops my tremors and sick to feeling and fainting feelings.

If anyone has any useful info on the above I'd really appreciate it.

Take Care All

Belle~

Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle that sounds awful. I have a tendency to eat when I'm stressed, or when I am flaring. When I feel good however I try to eat things with a lot of fiber that can fill me up. Mostly fruit and oatmeal is a great one for me. I know that isn't always the best for fibro, I think protein is suppose to be the best, but find what works and stick with it I always say. I'm kind of a boring person that way!

Glojer

Old 01-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Belle! Glojer is right. Eating a low carb, high protein diet is the way to go. It is human nature to eat stuff until the shakes stop, but this can cause an extensive train reaction that is hard to stop. 4-6 meals per day, small amounts, high protein, little sugar, no caffeine at all (caffine fuels panic attacks caused by high carb eating), will be much more beneficial and will help you stop the vicious cycle of mindless eating. I've been where you are and I totally understand. But until you can focus on a better eating plan, you will continue to have trouble. BTW, you will have more energy and will lose weight, the panicky, shaking attacks will be much easier to manage.

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 02-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

When i was diagnosed with fms and cmp 4 years ago, i had 8 years of psych to send to ssdi, i think i was approved due to mental illness, including anxiety. I got sick in March and started trigger point injections in June. I waited way to long and the muscle pain and entrapped nerves got wors and worse.

I think what triggered my fms was the cmp and what triggered all that was stress: I was rushing around at work,, multitasking all day. (Which by the way I don't think God meant for us to do, me anyway). I drove fast with the raido blaring every time i drove. I was getting up at 4:30 am to work out before work and kickboxing after work. wasn't eating enough and weighed in 124 at 5'7".

I sat under an a/c vent which made the cmp worse. fibro started with fog, the cmp in my back to where it hurt to sit down and answer the phone which was my job. I banged my palm on my car shifter because it would jam every morning in the cold and then one day the numbness in my hand stayed for awhile.

Soon i couldn't stand the smell of hairspray on my worker sitting far away, let alone perfume. I couldn't tolerate the tags in the back of my clothes, and my clothes had to be soft. I woke up achey but then ok. I thought it was the old mattress.

One day i was driving to work after banging my palm again, and the numbness spread down my arm. then the side of my face, then down my leg and then swooped down the other side. I was driven to the ER and had a ct of the brain to rule out stroke and then again to rule out ms. I was immediately diagnosed with fibro and the neurologist. When i asked what it was, he told me it was too complicated to explain and to read up on it
I had vicious knots all through my back and neck, so i was also sent to a pain doc who called my psychiatrist because he thought i was crazy.

I couldn't move my head due to the cmp. He *****ed my palms with a needle which i couldn't tolerate and cried even more (and hurt for days afterward) He offered to give me injections thinking i would say no. I said to do it. he injected some trigger points and i had some relief. Then fibrofog. I couldn't remember my coworker's names or what their job title was. And i was the operator that transferred calls. i couldn't remember how to schedule. I never learned it. I used cheat sheets all day. Soon, my coworker started helping me and covering for me.

I started to have pain like the flu and weakness to where i would huddle in my chair. I would sit in my hot car in the summer heat for relief from the a/c. It was like a giant heating pad. I saw my pcp who immediately diagnosed me with fibro and gave me percocet and ultram and told me to get exercise and drink noni juice. I could barely move let alone exercise.
and he refered me to my wonderful pain mgmt doc who I still see for cmp. I would cry every time i went and she referred me to a different psychiatrist. Finally, I had to draw her a complex picture of where my pain was. She understood immediately that i had chains of trigger points from my neck down my legs. She put me on physical therapy and a trigger point treatment scheduleI

It was also about this time thati started having burning sensations in patches on my skin. and it was about the same time that he told me to stop working which i was devestated about. I took 600 mg neurontin to relieve the burning and it helped some.

Deep depression with crying bouts set in. I was bedridden. The burning would move in waves down my body. All of this time i had shooting pains down my legs that i later learned was nerve entrapment from the trigger points. Of all my symptoms, this was the worst and i had it all the time, all day long. I also had this weird thing where small and large muscles would lurch uncontrollably.

none of the books i read covered cmp, fibrofog, or burning skin. I could only tolerate a soft sheet on my body and my underwear and a soft t shirt. i couldn't tolerate a/c at all and it triggered the burning and also flu like symptoms.

I holed up in my room. no a/c and no loud sounds which I also couldn't tolerate. My husband and son would be watching a cardinal game on and i would try to wach it but couldn't take the noise of the crowds, etc.I had my bedroom windows closed, but i could here the locusts so loud that it felt like they were in my ears. The fan in my room which my husband had to have on to be able to sleep sound like an airplane propeller.

I couldn't tolerate spicey foods and the smell and finally was only eating baby animal cookies.

I also had extreme fibro fog. could no longer drive. the only place i went was to my doctors and it would take hours to get ready and i would cry at every visit. I had to take a blanket and wear my soft clothes.

I tried to cook but burned the food. I could not heat up a can of beans, i swear. i tried and I burned them. I would try to sort the bills and it was so overwhelming and confusing that I had to just put them away. the stress of it triggered more pain.

ofcourse at this point my husband and kids were doing everything around the house.

Sometimes the burning pain was so bad that i couldn't take a bath. i never dried my hair.

I was in a hopeless, weeping depression. i found the **** "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial pain" by Devin Starlanyl. This book covered every symptom I had except the burning skin. This book saved my sanity. I was beginning to feel like I was going mad.

This post is all jumbled and i am tired of cutting and pasting, but i think you get the general idea. i guess it helped me to write it out. i am much better now, I haven't flaired in a few months. It took 4 years of all kinds of treatments to get to this point, but I would say the trigger point injections was what healed my body.

As far as fibromyalgia, i agree with the people who say it is a central nervous system illness. Which explains all my weird symptoms including the depression and anxiety. the brain is the the central nervous system boss.

I think there are a lot of people walking around with cmp who just think it's fibro and don't get trigger point injections. You don't always have to just live with the pain or take a pill. I have experienced a healing or a remission due to intensive treatment.

I work part time now and have to really monitor my stress level and go with the flow.

Well i guess i covered it all. Kind of jumbled but I got tired of cutting and pasting. for some reason, my laptop key board jumps around.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosebuddy For This Useful Post:
Dovemaster57 (06-26-2012)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

Rosebuddy61
Wow I just read your story and a lot of things you said....A light bulb went on with my story. I hope I can post these things to you on this sight. Well here goes.
My story us somewhat the same as I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, CMP, TMJ,Epstein Barr Virus, CMV etc, etc, I have been suffering with this for over 9 years now and have not got any single bit of relief from anything. I had failed Fusion surgery in 2003 on C5/6 6/7 with bone spurs and arthritus. I had gone to every kind of therapy, family doc. and homeopathic docs. sacral cranial therapy, massage therapy, st. john's neuromuscular therapy, acupuncture and finally this top Neurosurgeon said he could help me. When I woke up after the surgery with pins and plates and cadaveur bones in my neck I still had the exact same pain and my 3 year headache. Nothing was different. I am going to shorten this extensively as you can look at my posts under Suboxone withdrawl which I just went through for pain meds. my family doc. had me on and didn't want to be on them any longer. I didn't want to mask this strange illness I want to find out what was or is causing it. My story is also under "Chronic Pain" and "Insomnia". Just type that at the search bar at top of the boards.
Anyway I am drug free and am in so much pain I can't take much more. I am under the care of a Pain Mananagement Doc. again who did on my last appt. 3 weeks ago now some injections all across my shoulders and up my neck and that helped for about 1 week. I am in agony again and tomorrow I go to a new neurologist that the pain mgmt. doc has sent me to, to help with my pain. They are going to work together. This Friday I go for test shots for "burning of the nerves" in my neck and eventually in 2 more weeks will go under radio frequency to burn the nerves. I have had this done before and it helped for about 6 months and then the nerves grow back in again. I will go again two weeks later and have the other side burnt.
I have radiating pain all across my shoulders up my neck into my occiptal area and right around my forehead, in front of my eyes, beside my nose, in my jaw, in front of my ears. etc. etc.
I am sorry if my post seems jumbled. My story like yours is very very long and I am at my wits end. I have probably left a lot out but read my other posts if you have some time please.
Nobody else listens to me. I do have support from my family but....that is wearing thin. My husband can't handle it any more and we are becoming more and more distant. I just went through withdrawl and am still reeling from it, have insomnia, am in so much pain and like you, I can't stand hairspray but need it for my straight hair and it makes my head 10 times worse. I can't stand perfume, I have always thought I was allergic to it. When we stop at duty free I get sick walking through there or in the perfume aisle of a store. I can smell everything so strong that I can't stand it. I can't stand seams in my clothes and tags on my shirt and it is just getting worse.
Sorry I will stop now. A lot of your story seems like mine.
What do you think. Please explain your injections to me to see if that is what I am getting.
I take nothing for the pain but "neurontin and Cymbalta". I am very very anxious and depressed of course because of all of this pain that just won't go away.
Take care of yourself and thanks for writing that post, it made me feel like I am not alone in a lot of the things that I am feeling.

Lyn

The Following User Says Thank You to ANGELINMICHIGAN For This Useful Post:
Dovemaster57 (06-26-2012)
Closed Thread