It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Fibro and Knee pain

Does anyone else have knee pain along with fibro? The doctors keep telling me to exercise, and I used to, especially I loved walking. Now I can't do it because my knees have gotten so painful. The doctor said the cartilage is wearing down and I have tendonitis, the right knee is the worse. I tried the shots, didn't do anything.

It's not too bad if I don't do much, but I want to be more active. I can't even walk my dog without pain! The doctors keep saying exercise helps fibro, but with this knee pain EVERYTHING I tried hurts, including PT, swimming, and stationary bike. I can only stretch. But I need to do some type of cardio.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

JessTeets HB User
Re: Fibro and Knee pain

i have this same exact problem. i always hear exercise exercise. but i cant! you obviously can't exercise if you cant walk. Im sure that happens to you. I also swell very badly. they say thats not fibro though. im currently up in the air for an auto immune disease..and a bunch of other things. i also get rashes but they are a little weird. as far as the knee thing goes...i always go buy those patches you can put on your knee that warms up. they seem to help a lot. mine is worst at night and at morning. it actually wakes me up quite a lot so they have me on a sleeping medicine because I was staying awake all night from pain. When i exercised I did tae bo. It really helped as long as I was able to move my knee lol. My knee locks up too. If im in a position for to long its very very painful to move it. do you have these problems??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

Rits9 HB User

I have the same thing with knee pain. I had knee pain before I got fibro but it was the wear and tear and many injuries from playing soccer. Shots used to help before but I got one a couple weeks ago and it didn't help . I feel like an eighty year old women. It's so frustrating. Well I can't dwell in the past I have to continue to find what works for me. Good luck to you and wishing and praying for a pain free day for all of us.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

Rita27 HB User

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, my knees swell and get red and the pain at night is horrible. I also take a sleeping medication. Sometimes when I wake up it's better, other times, esp. if I did too much the day before, the pain is worse.

I think that TaeBo would be the worst thing, but I'm no expert. My doctor said anything where you are putting weight on the knees will hurt more. I also have low back problems, so that's why the sitting on the bike and even swimming hurt me too.

I really am so upset because I can't do ANYTHING.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
(female)

chilyrabit HB User

my knees (mostly the left) hurts in spurts. i typically don't swell and mine doesn't change in color. before i was dx'd with FM, i decided that it was probably arthritis or something....never really asked the doc. I was thinking about Rita27 and your knee issues. if the doc said that your cartilage is wearing away, have you considered taking one of those OTC remedies that claim to help your body rebuild its cartilage? they say that once it's all gone (the cartilage) then that will be bone on bone with no "padding" so to speak in the middle. that happened to my gram and she said it was horrible pain. anyway, just a thought. hope all goes well for you and all of those other painful knees out there!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

gentle moves in a pool of water is good therapy.
Since swimming for you is too painful, you may need to slowly move around in the pool. any movement in a pool is less impact to the knees and such.
Hope this helps a bit

BeHappy2

Closed Thread