It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

Mstic1 HB User
Fibromyalgia and Premature Menopause

Hi everyone,

I am 40 years old and have fibromyalgia. I went off birth control pills in March of last year (I was 39) and immediately starting having menopausal like symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, heart palpitations, anxiety, etc.) I completely related all of this to going off the pill and was told by my OB that it might take awhile for my system to normalize itself. Well my last period was in November and have now been told that I am in menopause. I have been doing alot of research on premature menopause and surprisingly found that it could be related to fibromyalgia.

As anyone ever heard of this or understand the connection?

Thanks,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Premature Menopause

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticWingz View Post
Hi everyone,

I am 40 years old and have fibromyalgia. I went off birth control pills in March of last year (I was 39) and immediately starting having menopausal like symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, heart palpitations, anxiety, etc.) I completely related all of this to going off the pill and was told by my OB that it might take awhile for my system to normalize itself. Well my last period was in November and have now been told that I am in menopause. I have been doing alot of research on premature menopause and surprisingly found that it could be related to fibromyalgia.

As anyone ever heard of this or understand the connection?

Thanks,
Mysticwingz
Did youo develop Fibro symptoms after coming of the pill or before as perimeopause can cause sever symptoms in some women...I have B12 deficiency although I have sorted that out but I am also in perimenopause I have stayed on the pill as it helps aleviate symptoms..The anxiety I get withh perimenopause feels different to the B12 anxiety it is really horrid......
So perhaps its the upset in hormones taht gives the fibro symptoms...Justa thought

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
(female)

soozbeme HB User

Mystic ... I went through what you did - minus the BCP's, but the menopause started at 40. I got all of those crappy symptoms and I could have dealt with them if that was all that happened. I started gaining a lot of weight. Tried HRT but didn't work for many reasons. Then the Fibro started. Little things at first and now 11 years later - full blown. I always thought it might relate to the change (or lack thereof) of hormones, but never knew for sure. All I know is that my health went downhill from there. Sure hope you're not following in my footsteps. It's been a rocky road

Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I didn't know this piece of information. I started menopause around 40 myself.

Kirstee

Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

I started with the menopause thing around 40 also. I could never use birth control pills, they made me too sick to my stomach. When they did find 1 that didn't make me sick, I got pregnant with my 3rd child. They took it off the market, too many oops, that was over 30 years ago. I took 1 estrogen pill and cried for 2 days, never took anything again. I've had hot flashes for ever and when I got through the whole menopause thing I found out that a lot of it was due to the Elavil or other antidepressants. I am 53. I also was 9when I started my periods. One of my sisters is 51 and she's only had the symptoms for 2 years, so I think it's different with each individual. I took the menopause bit as it's a normal process, not oh God it's so bad. I used to take an over the counter thing called Soycare, soy is good for high cholestral and hot flashes too. I did and still take an ice pack to bed, if I do get hot, I just put it against the small of my back and it helps. I'd like to see how different people answer this thread. It's really an interesting subject.

DeBeachSiren

Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi again,

I have an appointment tomorrow with a nurse practitioner who specializes in hormone replacement (using bio-identicals).

I am going to ask her if she know of any connection between fibromyalgia and hormones.

I will let you know what I find out.

Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

ngtstrm HB User

This really is a very interesting subject. I am eager to hear what the NP has to say about a connection.

I too started having menopausal symptoms around age 40. At the end of last year, Aunt Flow came for an intense visit that lasted 49 days; in spite of all the meds my OB/Gyn could throw at her, she just wouldn't leave. I was faced with the immediate choice of bleeding to death or having a hysterectomy (and ooverectomy, for other reasons). As I’m alive, you can guess what I chose. But I’ve had a lot of trouble with “surgical menopause” – primarily the most awful mood swings I ever experienced... or my husband ever experienced either, the poor fellow . I’ve also had one of the worst flares that I’ve ever had since I was dx’d with fms over a decade ago. (The flare may have started before the surgery, but Aunt Flow was more… insistent, shall I say? I just can’t remember!)

I’m doing HRT, but I hadn’t heard of “hormone replacement (using bio-identicals)” ‘til now. Would someone explain this to me, please? If it means that I would be taking something more akin to what my body produces, I’m all for it. (I’m trying to go more “natural” in my diet… why wouldn’t I try it with my meds and/or supplements, if possible… ya know?)

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

Mstic1 HB User

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update on what I have found out on this topic.

It turns out that Fibromyalgia can have something to do with a hormonal imbalance and premature menopause.

I met with the nurse practitioner last month and after reviewing my lab work (FSH of 68)...she said that I was most likely in menopause. She did write me a prescription for 2 bio-identical creams (Bi-est and Progesterone) which I picked up from a compounding pharmacy (my insurance covered both so I only paid $20 each..yippeee!). I am suppose to use the Bi-est every day of the month in the morning and then add the progesterone from the 1st to the 14th of every month at night.

I started on the Bi-est on March 14th and just started the progesterone on April 1st. So far I have noticed some small improvements. My hot flashes have died down, my night sweats are almost gone, I feel a bit more relaxed, my shoulders don't hurt as much and I am sleeping much better. Since this whole thing started last year, I have developed acne on my cheeks and along my jaw line. She said that the progesterone should help alot with that so I am really hoping she is right.

I am really looking forward to feeling good again. I have been dealing with this since December of 2007 and I am ready!

Hope you are doing well,
Mstic1

Last edited by Mstic1; 04-07-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Closed Thread