It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Anyone have Anxiety/Panic attack disorder?

Does anyone here have severe Anxiety/Panic attacks? I have had these since I was little. But they started to get worse in my last year of HS I was then put on medicine. Which is working good for me. My question is has anyone had Anxiety disorder before they had Fibro? What is so bad is my attacks seem worse since I was diagnosed or I have really bad pain the pain brings on the attacks Anxiety is also a Fibro symptom. I even wake up in an Attack dizzy heavy breathing. it's horrible.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User
Re: Anyone have Anxiety/Panic attack disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny89 View Post
Does anyone here have severe Anxiety/Panic attacks? I have had these since I was little. But they started to get worse in my last year of HS I was then put on medicine. Which is working good for me. My question is has anyone had Anxiety disorder before they had Fibro? What is so bad is my attacks seem worse since I was diagnosed or I have really bad pain the pain brings on the attacks Anxiety is also a Fibro symptom. I even wake up in an Attack dizzy heavy breathing. it's horrible.
Hi snowbunny
I would suggest having your B12 levels checked and you Homocysteine and UMMA ,CBC and Folate as a deficiency can cause anxiety problems and a load of other mental issues......I used to wake up in the middle of the night in a panic for no reason nothing had triggered it and it would last for hours at a time and yes it is horrible.......Always ask the doc for print outs of your tests as symptoms can start at 500...........If you levels are in the high upper area you can look at something else but it is a good place to start
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

I have no idea what all that stuff you just mentioned is. for years I have always woken up in an attack not all the time. It's also a side effect of one of the meds I'm on. sometimes If I don't sleep and then sleep for too long then I wake up in a panic. I have livid dreams sweating and all that.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-22-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny89 View Post
I have no idea what all that stuff you just mentioned is. for years I have always woken up in an attack not all the time. It's also a side effect of one of the meds I'm on. sometimes If I don't sleep and then sleep for too long then I wake up in a panic. I have livid dreams sweating and all that.
what I am suggeting to you is that you may have a Vitamin B12 deficiency it can cause all the symptoms you are experiencing the things I listed are tests for Vitamin b12 it can cause serious damage it affects multiple systems in the body but is very easily treatable you can serach for it anywhere to find out more about it it mimics a ton of things...Per haps its not your problem but I thought it would be good suggestion for you to look into As a lot of fibro symptoms are the same and to a lot of doctors if your CBC tests are all normal as no anemia then they dont even bother testing your B12.... undiagnosed for most of my life until recently for me it is genetic problem ..........YOu could think about having your hormones tested too
Good luck

Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
(male)

jkollar HB User

Well, this is my first post so I hope I do ok.

I have been having panic attacks since I was 30 (I'm now 53). They are the worst. At that time, I had no medical reason for having them, it just came on all by itself. Fortunately, I called a pyschiatrist who diagnosed the problem on the first visit. Unfortuately, I suffered for years with them but I did have medications that helped.

In my case, I found that Xanax worked very well in knocking down the panic attack but it usually takes about 40 minutes for the med to take affect. I also found that taking .5 mg once a day in the morning takes the "edge" off and I have been mainly panic free for the last 20 years. I should mention I also take prozac which does help me. YMMV.

Recently I came down with osteomylytis in my left leg which is extremley painful. I was put on 180mg of oxycontin and 50 of oxycodone (as needed for breakthourgh pain). I was in horrible shape and lost 28 pounds (I once weighed 188). Three months into treatment, I came down with panic attacks once again due the pain, stress of potentially losing my job and other stressors. I spent a week in hell hoping they would go away but they didn't. I was ready to check myself into an in patient detox center since I thought it was the pain meds causing the problem. Fortunately I was "intercepted" by my PC physcian (she actually called me at home!) and had me see her the next day. She put me on Clonazapam which ended the panic attacks and I have been able to remove the Oxycodone and reduce the Oxycontin down to 30mg per day. I'm doing quite well actually.

Point of the story is that even if you get the panic attacks under control, there is no gaurentee that they won't come back. Life throws wierd stuff at you and it may cause a recurrence. Just remember though, and I had forgotten this, there is a lot of help out there. Panic attacks don't last forever, and there are some excellent treatments both medical and non-medical that can help. I highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist that specializes in panic attacks. There is no reason to have to suffer the effects of panic attacks on a constant basis.

Last edited by jkollar; 02-28-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I take b12's everyday. The nurse did say my vitamin C was low and is common in most women. I don't know if that means anything. I'll ask about the b12 when she calls again. Thanks!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-22-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkollar View Post
Well, this is my first post so I hope I do ok.

I have been having panic attacks since I was 30 (I'm now 53). They are the worst. At that time, I had no medical reason for having them, it just came on all by itself. Fortunately, I called a pyschiatrist who diagnosed the problem on the first visit. Unfortuately, I suffered for years with them but I did have medications that helped.

In my case, I found that Xanax worked very well in knocking down the panic attack but it usually takes about 40 minutes for the med to take affect. I also found that taking .5 mg once a day in the morning takes the "edge" off and I have been mainly panic free for the last 20 years. I should mention I also take prozac which does help me. YMMV.

Recently I came down with osteomylytis in my left leg which is extremley painful. I was put on 180mg of oxycontin and 50 of oxycodone (as needed for breakthourgh pain). I was in horrible shape and lost 28 pounds (I once weighed 188). Three months into treatment, I came down with panic attacks once again due the pain, stress of potentially losing my job and other stressors. I spent a week in hell hoping they would go away but they didn't. I was ready to check myself into an in patient detox center since I thought it was the pain meds causing the problem. Fortunately I was "intercepted" by my PC physcian (she actually called me at home!) and had me see her the next day. She put me on Clonazapam which ended the panic attacks and I have been able to remove the Oxycodone and reduce the Oxycontin down to 30mg per day. I'm doing quite well actually.

Point of the story is that even if you get the panic attacks under control, there is no gaurentee that they won't come back. Life throws wierd stuff at you and it may cause a recurrence. Just remember though, and I had forgotten this, there is a lot of help out there. Panic attacks don't last forever, and there are some excellent treatments both medical and non-medical that can help. I highly recommend seeing a psychiatrist that specializes in panic attacks. There is no reason to have to suffer the effects of panic attacks on a constant basis.
wow 40 minutes? If I take a pill right when I feel an attack coming on It works pretty quick. But If I wait it can take up to an hour. Mine too comes out of the blue sometimes. Or If I have to go somewhere like the doctors I'll be anxious. Sometimes I get pain in my chest or arm and that brings on the attack. I lived with attacks without med's for years It just has gotten worse since the Fibro thing. I have bad days and good days. If you ever need to talk send me a pm. I know exactly what you are going through.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Jaykollar,

I have had panic disorder w/agoraphobia for over 35 years. I struggle with it all the time. Lamictal has helped mel Prozac didl and I use Xanax, too. If you put it under your tongue and dissolve it, it will click in in about 20 minutes. Tastes awful, but I don't mind that because of the relief.

You might indeed to for some medical testing. But I know that chronic panic disorder does happen.

The other thing you might seriously try is some behavioural stuff. Medication, or a series of tapes that teach you to bring yourself down, yoga, learning to breathe correctly, can go a long way.

It has helped me, too, not to panic over the fact that I am having an attack. I just acknowldge it - "Oh, here comes another attack, ok, attack, just come on in." This seems to lessen it; I know I will go through it and come out of it.

I hope you can find some lessening of them. They are just hell. I've found that medication is absolutely necessary in order to be able to start on the behavioural things.

You have all my sympathy and empathy. It can get better, though. If it can for me, it can for you.

Seaturtle

Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Another things to consider is hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is a common FMS ailment, and it can cause severe anxiety and panic attacks. In chronic cases it can cause diarrhea. Eating low carb, no sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol will help reign in the panic attacks and give you more energy.

Kirstee

Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
(male)

Hal Mathew HB User

Hello Seaturtle, et al - My name's Hal. I have been totally recovered from panic disorder and agoraphobia for 17 years. The bad news is that Xanax is about the worst thing one can use to eliminate panic. But that's also the good news, because once you're off it (definitely under a doc's supervision) the anxiety it creates will go away and you'll be dealing with the actual, curable anxiety. I was on 3 mg/day of Xanax for about 8 years. I was also using a lot of alcohol. I started having panic attacks at age 10 and was severely agoraphobic by age 19. I was 48 when I sobered up and 49 when I finally conquered the panic etc. There is no one dramatic way to do this. I started a peer support group by putting a little notice in the newspaper and several people joined - all with their own ideas. One woman attending had cured herself through a program she bought, and her tips and ideas were of great help. The thing that got me over the top was her saying that we need to trick our minds into not fearing panic attacks. Once you no longer fear panic attacks you'll never have another. 17 years later that's still true for me. So I was feeling great but still had the dumbfounding phobia of traveling - a conditioned reflex. I'd plan a trip, say 15 miles away from home, and when the day arrived for the trip I was so anxious that I couldn't even get that far. One day a brilliant friend of mine showed up at my door and said, "we're going to Butte (MT - 60 miles away)." She let me drive her car and about 20 miles out I sort of blasted through this imaginary barrier and I was FREE! I can travel anywhere now. Driving solo across Nevada was the acid test which I passed. My advice: read everything you can find and at some point you'll find something will click for you. There are medications that can offer some numbing, but medication is really not the answer. And, believe me, I would have considered murdering anyone who tried to take away my Xanax. There is an on-line forum "The Anxiety Release Method" that is quite good. I bought the book (I think you have to buy a program to get into the forum, but it's worth it), because believe it or not, once I healed myself I got a job as a mental health social worker and had several people on my case load with panic/agoraphobia. Google that, Google this, Google everything. This is your job - to be cured - so treat it like a job. Please remember that all this huge fuss and consternation is only about a normal physiological reaction to some stimuli (and you all know that the trigger is not always apparent.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-28-2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address in the public forums - instead, use the private messaging system

Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Mathew View Post
Hello Seaturtle, et al - My name's Hal. I have been totally recovered from panic disorder and agoraphobia for 17 years. The bad news is that Xanax is about the worst thing one can use to eliminate panic. But that's also the good news, because once you're off it (definitely under a doc's supervision) the anxiety it creates will go away and you'll be dealing with the actual, curable anxiety. I was on 3 mg/day of Xanax for about 8 years. I was also using a lot of alcohol. I started having panic attacks at age 10 and was severely agoraphobic by age 19. I was 48 when I sobered up and 49 when I finally conquered the panic etc. There is no one dramatic way to do this. I started a peer support group by putting a little notice in the newspaper and several people joined - all with their own ideas. One woman attending had cured herself through a program she bought, and her tips and ideas were of great help. The thing that got me over the top was her saying that we need to trick our minds into not fearing panic attacks. Once you no longer fear panic attacks you'll never have another. 17 years later that's still true for me. So I was feeling great but still had the dumbfounding phobia of traveling - a conditioned reflex. I'd plan a trip, say 15 miles away from home, and when the day arrived for the trip I was so anxious that I couldn't even get that far. One day a brilliant friend of mine showed up at my door and said, "we're going to Butte (MT - 60 miles away)." She let me drive her car and about 20 miles out I sort of blasted through this imaginary barrier and I was FREE! I can travel anywhere now. Driving solo across Nevada was the acid test which I passed. My advice: read everything you can find and at some point you'll find something will click for you. There are medications that can offer some numbing, but medication is really not the answer. And, believe me, I would have considered murdering anyone who tried to take away my Xanax. There is an on-line forum "The Anxiety Release Method" that is quite good. I bought the book (I think you have to buy a program to get into the forum, but it's worth it), because believe it or not, once I healed myself I got a job as a mental health social worker and had several people on my case load with panic/agoraphobia. Google that, Google this, Google everything. This is your job - to be cured - so treat it like a job. Please remember that all this huge fuss and consternation is only about a normal physiological reaction to some stimuli (and you all know that the trigger is not always apparent.
why is Xanax bad? It's the only thing that will calm me down when I'm in a severe state of panic.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
(male)

jkollar HB User

Hi Snowbunney and Hal,

3mg per day of Xanax IMO is relatively high. I've had panic attacks that had almost gone away until I had a recent illness (osteomylytis) that caused so much pain and required so much medication that I had for lack of a better term a mental breakdown. Lasted about 5 days. Until that time I was on .5 mg of xanax in the morning which worked well for me.

However, my mental breakdown was a totally new experience for me. I basically lost it and xanax at high doses (3mg per day and above) only provided temporary relief. This lasted about 5 days until I was given a prescription for Clonazapam which broke the cycle. I took .75 mg 3 times a day, dropped the xanax and was told I could take an additional 1.5 mg of clonazapam for break through anxiety. I had to take advantage of that a couple of times.

Bottom line was it worked! Clonzapam from the way it worked for me eliminated the anxiety for long periods of time right from the get go. Clonazapam did not mess with my mind as much as xanax especially after I got used to it. I was not "wiped" out like I would be if I was taking 3mg of xanax per day.

Something to think about. Xanax IMO is good for low levels of chronic panic and for periodic breakthroughs, but for higher levels of "chonic" panic you need something else. For me, that was clonazapam.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
(male)

Hal Mathew HB User

Hi - Xanax is "bad" only insofar as it has such a quick turn-around time - 7 hours, versus somewhat longer acting Klonopin and Valium. That means after 7 hours one starts to get that edgy feeling because your body wants it. All the benzodiazepams create a physiological need after only a fairly short time of use - about 3 weeks to a month. The withdrawal experience feels just like the anxiety feeling we're medicating. It's actually dangerous to go off it abruptly after extended use; a doctor should advise you while coming slowly off it. Yes, the "benzos" provide short term relief, but one has to experience a lot of anxiety while coming off these medications. I depended on benzos for quite a few years, but now that I'm free of panic and agoraphobia, I know that taking (in my case Xanax) was getting in the way of ridding myself of panic disorder. It's possible to use the medication only once in awhile - a day or two a month, say - without getting physiologically dependent. That's the ONLY way I would advise using benzos. Google benzodiazepam and you'll learn a lot. Hal

Closed Thread