It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
(male)

vince10 HB User
Taking Provigil For Fibro With Good Results

I have been taking Provigil for three months now for my extreme fatigue caused by my Fibro. So far it has worked great. Although I am starting to have to increase the dose..I no longer fall asleep in the middle of the day. Although it is expensive, this med really does get rid of the fatigue.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Re: Taking Provigil For Fibro With Good Results

Is this prescription? I've never heard of this but I am newly diagnosed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
(female)

DemonFairy HB UserDemonFairy HB User

It's a terrific med - mental clarity and awakeness, without the ickiness of things like caffeine. It doesn't feel like an "upper", it just feels like you're awake. Unfortunately, at something like $9 pill, we (my partner and I both have FMS) can't afford it. Reboxetine was helping, but Pfizer pulled the extended open study w/o warning and took away everyone's meds. This will make you laugh, they did it because THEY said it didn't work (we patients felt differently), and we were supposed to just merrily move on to Lyrica, which sucks in a variety of ways, but mostly importantly, doesn't work for most of us.

Anyway, sorry to ramble (no mental clarity w/o Provigil or Reboxetine), but yes, I think Provigil is a GREAT drug. We once had a doctor who got us a 3 month supply of samples from his drug rep for us. Unfortunately, decided to retire/take a sabbatical/travel the world/who knows, and we had to go back to our original doc who won't try to help in those kinds of ways. We still have a little bit of Provigil left (we've tried to ration it), but if I could get it w/o selling both kidneys, I would. If I could sell just one kidney, I would use the money for Provigil and Fentanyl patches. Alas, selling kidneys is illegal, so no more Provigil for us. If any of you are able to try it, especially if your insurance pays for it or you can afford it, do try it. We were very impressed.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
(female)

sandradee0303 HB User

I wonder if anybody has insurance that covers it....... Sandra Dee

Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
(female)

jann71 HB User

This is one medication that I would LOVE to have. I sent away for the coupon they offer for a free 7-day trial of it and it is awesome. Sadly, my insurance won't cover it either and it's extremely expensive. I mean very, very expensive. No way the average person could afford it. I wish I could because I really liked how much it helped me. It gave me lots of much needed energy and improved my mood a lot. I didn't have any side effects that I know of.

From what I've read about it, it's not supposed to speed up the heart, or raise blood pressure, or anything like that. What I read says it works on the "awakening" part of the brain. It's labeled for people with narcolepsy and severe sleep apnea. But it would be a great help to those with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if only it were more affordable. I asked my pharmacist about the cost (and nearly choked when he told me lol) and if maybe they would eventually come out with a generic form of it, and he said there was a patent for a generic good until 2010 but of course they could always renew it and extend the time.

Hopefully a generic will come out soon and will be more affordable. It's such a shame that there is a medication out there that would be a great help to people like us but it costs so much we can't afford it. Just plain sad and disheartening.

Last edited by jann71; 03-02-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
(female)

Roxysunset78 HB User

My mom has CFS and she was place on Provigil and she is doing great. And her insurance does cover it. She is doing realy good. Now my mom does not have Fibro...so this might not have help. Sorry if it didnt. I am new to Fibro and in here to.

Closed Thread