It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

soozbeme HB User
Question Gabapentin - Does It Help?

My doc wants me to try Gabapentin (again), but when I did several years ago, it seemed to build up in my system to the point where I became nauseated was vomiting. It could have been food poisoning, but I though it was the Gaba so I stopped immediately. He still swears by it - that it helps many of his fibro patients.

I'm just wondering if anyone else here takes it - if it helps and if they've ever had weird side effects like mine or could not tolerate it.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
(female)

4kids4me HB User
Re: Gabapentin - Does It Help?

I've been on Gabapentin for over a month now and I haven't had any side effect like what you're describing. I can definitely tell you that it's been working wonders for me. While it doesn't take care of all of the pain, or anything else, just getting rid of that flu-like feverish feeling was wonderful for me. The only side effect I get is at times a groggy/spacy sensation, but not very often. I'm on a pretty high dose too. 1200mg 3X daily. I hope that it works for you. I take many other meds in addition to the Gabapentin to help with other symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Hi, I was given gabapentin for sciatica. It helped. I was told that gabapentin is the little brother to Lyrica. It is given to those that have epilepsy. When I could no longer take Lyrica my doctor put me back on gabapentin. I was also on both of them together. The only trouble I had with gabapentin is that if I took it 3 times a day, I would start biting the inside of my mouth accidentally. I cut back to 2 a day and it helped.
Have a great day.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
(female)

puppybreath HB User

I tried taking it, but it made me feel like I was tripping on LSD. I couldn't handle it, but I can't tolerate plaquinel either.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
(female)

iamtooyoung HB User

I have just started taking 300mg gabapentin and was afraid I would experience these horrible side effects everyone has been talking about but I haven't at all... that's the good news. Bad news...it hasn't helped my severe sciatica... yet. I hope it will and I hope it helps you too

Old 05-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
(female)

LadogaLink HB User

Hi, All. A couple of months ago I found a link between hypothyroid, for which I've been treated for more than 40 yrs, and fibromyalgia, for which I was treated for about seven years. However, I just gave up on meds for fibromyalgia because they made me sick with additional symptoms, and never brought complete relief for the fibro. Around nine yrs ago the fibro symptoms just sort of disappeared, after having had them for at least 12 yrs. Didn't know how, certainly didn't care; just glad they were gone and rejoicing at my good luck. Since I'd been treated for hypothyroid for years before the fibro symptoms surfaced, I didn't pay much attention to the article, thinking it certainly didn't apply to me. However, a couple of weeks ago, I really began digging for more info, because I read that some docs think there's a definite link between the two, and that Armour thyroid, a dessicated thyroid extract, usually from a pig, does a better job than the synthetic drugs in alleviating a lot of the hypothyroid symptoms, which included the same ones I'd had when I'd been told I had fibro all those years ago. Bells really rang! I dug out my bank statements to see when I'd begun going to an endocrinologist who had put me back on Armour, after being off of it for approx 30 yrs. The timing coincided. A few months after being on the Armour my fibro symptoms had disappeared. Maybe it's all a fluke, but I had never been able to make any connections to any other reason for the fibro having just disappeared. I now think that anyone with fibro should have a full panel thyroid study, not just T3 and T4, by someone with a fantastic reputation for dealing with hypothyroid and adrenal insufficiency, because the two are related. The best test in the world is useless if the doc doesn't know how to interpret the results; it takes a special doc to have the patience and tenacity to keep working to get the condition in sync. Choosing the right dr is the key; any dr can order the tests, but only the right dr can help you. I can remember my despair when I was trying every possible answer to ease the fibromyalgia. Hopefully, others can share my good fortune and be spared some of the physical and mental anguish. Before you make another fibro med increase or change, please consider my experience. Best wishes. If anyone has a similar experience, I would love to hear about it.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Oops, I already replied to this one, I wrote the same stuff, FIBRO FOG!

Last edited by JacquelineH; 05-24-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Closed Thread