It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
(female)

suni19 HB User
Doctors not helping with short term disability

Hello fellow sufferers! Sorry to see that you are here, as I know Fibro is no fun to live with on a daily basis.

My regular doc took me off work for 2 months due to chronic fatigue, and fibro. However, the problem I'm running into is no doctors wanting to fill our forms or talk with my short-term disability company. Has anyone else faced this problem?

There is simply no way I can work in this condition right now. He has referred me to a Rheumy doctor, he's ran tests so waiting for the results. The process of not having money is only making my stress greater.

I work in customer service, and cannot imagine treating my customers this way. I feel that part of treating me is working to get my insurance to pay so that I can concentrate on getting better.

Would love to hear from anyone else that has been through this or has any suggestions on how to find a doctor that will deal with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
(female)

puppybreath HB User
Re: Doctors not helping with short term disability

Hi Suni: I had the same problem. My dr. wouldn't sign my family leave statement so I looked for a new dr. I found one and she signed it, but as things got worse for me she started getting political and difficult. When I asked her to sign my short term dissability form she lectured me on how awful my life will be on dissability, as if I could do something about it. It's not always an easy road and every dr.'s different, you just have to keep looking and be honest with them. Don't let their pre concieved notions get you down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

suni19 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply! I've had this problem with a total of 3 doctors now. I have another appt. tomorrow so will go from there.

It's really frustrating...one doctor said I wouldn't be a productive member of society if I were on disability. Huh? I've been working and paying taxes since I was 12 years old! Really ticked me off! I would love to just be well enough to work, but wouldn't we all?

Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

chilyrabit HB User

Hi sun19 and everyone else!! As I have mentioned on other threads I am a secretary and a very busy one at that! Thru my job I am able to be a member of a support staff union for a school district. I was fortunate that our contract allowed us to take off work up to 1 year w/o pay but w/ benefits (pretty much unheard of I know).

I still had to get my doc to sign off of everything. I had already exhausted all of my vacation, personal and sick time as well as my FMLA time (which I took on an intermittent basis). I had been seeing my doctor for several years and had a well established relationship. He signed off of my short-term disability as well as my year off of work. We discussed this at length and agreed that I just needed to get my health to a manageable state.

That is exactly what I did. The closer it came to going back to work, the more I made myself sick and I was doing relatively well at the time. When I left work I had a boss who barely gave me any work to do (big change from now) I was told to deal with it. It seemed that nobody really cared.

My husband said that he wanted me to try to go back so I didn't lose my health insurance and we would take it one step at a time. Well, I went back to a new boss (the old one retired) and this one keeps me busier and I could have ever hoped for. It ended up being the best thing I could have done. Being busy helps me to keep my mind off of the pain.

Don't get me wrong. I still have my flare ups and my bad days and bad hours and so on.... My memory is absolutely horrible. I write everything down on a tablet that I keep with me at all times. I am on meds that I can take at work and work and because of my built up tolerance level, I can drive as well (just don't ask my husband or son about that).

I have 2 bosses not actually and it's great. I found that for ME, I NEED to have that constant human interaction. I need and want to be as busy as possible. I still miss days. I just missed a bunch during a recent flare up.

Finding this board has proven to be extrememly helpful to me as well. I can't see you all or touch you all but I know you understand like only a fellow FM sufferer can. For that I am extremely greatful to know that anytime, anyplace, 24/7 365, someone is going to be out here and answer me.

My intent in telling my story is not to pass judgement on any one who feels that he or she needs to take time from work. That my friends is not my job. Only YOU know your own body. That is you. We are all individual. I got what I needed and returned to work. I still take time when needed. My only thoughts that I would express to anyone interested in disability or quitting work.....have you considered all of the pros and cons. Have you exhausted all of the doctors that you are able to? Will you lose your health insurance? Do you have family members that are involved that rely on you?

Those are some of the questions that my husband and I discussed when I didn't want to come back to work. I was not forced in any way. If you knew me; you would know that nobody could force me to anything. I wanted to share them......if they helped you -- great. If not, please just disregard.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

suni19 HB User

Thanks for your response and sharing your story. I have always worked (since I was 12), so I know what you mean about needing the interaction and contact with people. I would love to return to work, and hope that someday I will. I just know right now, that I can't.

I took a leave of absence due to my health issues. I'm in the service industry and they don't want you to miss any time from work--period. Unless you have leave and schedule it 3-4 weeks in advance. My health has been such that I haven't been able to work, I was taken off work by my treating physician.

I've never ran into this problem with short term disability and I've worked with many many doctors over the years. It seems like once they hear Fibromyalgia or pain....they just write it off and don't really want to be bothered.

At least I guess I know what I'm up against.

Thanks again, and I hope your health continues to improve.

Closed Thread