It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
(male)

GregJ HB User
Muscle hardening

I'm 25. Over the past few years I have been both severely stressed, but also unusually active (which was always very painful, and only up until last year, when I stopped gym activity) at the gym as it was all I had to hold onto. My muscles haven hardened greatly, with a rock-hardening occurring around all my joints. My knees have recently become a pretty serious issue. Is this hardening calcium phosphate? What should I think of this? The hardening is where I feel all of the tension and tiredness when I try and go upstairs, right around the joints. It's almost like it has sucked a bunch of muscle tissue toward the joint, hardening it. It's quite bad. It's most severe for my age, I'd say.

I'm always very tired, have constant aching to some degree, and get muscle twitching pretty badly.

Last edited by GregJ; 03-10-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
(female)

4kids4me HB User
Re: Muscle hardening

I dont' really know much about muscle hardening, but I do wonder if you've been to a doctor and told him of your symptoms. If you haven't make a list of all of your symptoms so you don't forget any. Some of what you've said sounds like FM, but not sure about the muscle hardening. I'm pretty new to this myself, and I'm 27, so not much older than yourself. Oh, and by the way Hello and welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
(female)

chilyrabit HB User

Hi GregJ!

Welcome to the board. It sounds like you are really going through a tough time. I'm curious if you have seen a doctor and what he/she said if you want to share and if you have any kind of support system in place?

I personally have never heard of muscle hardening as a symptom of FM. You could however have comorbidities.

Are you working at all? Keep in touch. There are a lot of us out here all the time. This site has helped me tremendously.

Wishing you some relief,

Kim

Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
(male)

GregJ HB User

There's no doubt it's all related to the stressful period of time I had and the fact that I handled it with excessive exercise. I would always go the extra 5 miles, if you know what I mean, trying to prove to myself that I was strong,a and subconsciously pursuing endorphins. I'm treating the stress symptoms with acupuncture with very satisfactory success, but my body remains very beat up, and the very frequent muscle twitches of late became icing on the cake that something must be very wrong with my body. The hardening is the type that most people get as they get older (according to the masseuse I do my best to see), but that I have a great deal more of it at a very young age, particularly around my knees.

I'm a college grad who worked straight out of college, but that was the center of the stress which I regrettably bull-headed my way through, only making it all so, so much worse. I'm trying very hard now to get work after being out of it for two years with these circumstances.

I do have a support system, albeit a limited one.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Wow. The only muscle hardening I've heard of is what they try to do to at Physical Therapy that's a no-no. Interesting.

DeBeachSiren

Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
(male)

GregJ HB User

It's calcification, according to several sources.

I guess the same kind of stuff that happens all around your body, feel around your metacarpal bones, around your ankles, or around your face even, that buildup that has occurred over time, that feels as hard as bone but is clearly not bone. Hardened muscle. This is just severe, and occurring significantly around the joints, pulling the muscle downward toward the joint in it's density.

When I start to work it loose and away from the joint, I get significant relief, but it's hard work for me or anyone that has to do it.

Closed Thread