It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

applecollector HB User
Angry Colonoscopy and FM

I had my first and last Colonoscopy this week It was a gastro clinic so they don't put you under but give you IV med's normal amount is 50 they gave me 100mg and I felt that thing all the way through my colon, I was in tears and thought I would die.

Dr said next time out patient at hospital so they can put me under. With my Fibro I have I very very high pain threshold NO JOKE

I had always heard the procedure itself did not hurt---someone lied

good news is no polyps or lesions

I had had the procedure where they put the light down you mouth to look at stomach etc and barely remember that--but also that was before the major FM started::

Last edited by applecollector; 03-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

fibro-worn HB Userfibro-worn HB User
Re: Colonoscopy and FM

I also had colonoscopy and endoscopy done this week and have fibro. Had it done at a out patient surgery center and didn't feel a thing during either procedure.Was given an iv with meds and was completely unaware of what was going on. Was not feeling well the next day because of the fibro was in a major flare. Muscle aches and pains. Glad it is all over with. Did have a couple polps removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
(female)

applecollector HB User

my meds where IV pain meds for ---- I have said the pain was worse than childbirth.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I am shocked that the doctor felt you should have the colonoscopy done this way! Of course it hurt. Huggies to you.

Kirstee

Old 03-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
(female)

ngtstrm HB User

I'm with kirstee. It is an outrage that you had to go through this!! I've also had both done - the colonoscopy I still have to have every few years as a polyp was found the first time. And, as soon as they know I have fibro, IV sedation becomes a given. If the facility doesn't offer it, I don't go there - even if I have to change docs! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! But, if it becomes a medical necessity later, please remember that IV sedation should be an option for you (you won't feel it), so get it done if you really NEED it... with IV meds, 'kay? Best wishes!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
(female)

applecollector HB User

Ok when talking about IV meds what do you mean?

they did put in the place for IV (just no bag) used syringe to put it in with and kept having to give me more.

When I had the one done at same place upper GI I didn't have any problems and bearly remember the procedure.

But when you can feel every inch that thing is going it is not fun

Old 03-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
(female)

ngtstrm HB User

No, honey, it's definitely not funny when you feel it the whole way. There wasn't anything fun or easy about your experience. I remember my first colonoscopy, they (for some reason) gave me IV meds from syringes into the IV port (same as it sounds like for you), but not enough to fully put me out (as they should have). So I kept waking from all the pain and discomfort of my bowel being distended with air and instruments. Then someone would say "look, she's awake" (usually after I couldn't stop a moan ), someone else would look at me, do something with the IV and I was out like a light. I think this was actually my first sigmoidoscopy (only shows first part of bowel).

On the other hand, the procedure where he found the polyp was a piece of cake for me. They attached an IV drip bag to me and, when they had finished my interrogation (all those quesitons!), they gave me a hit of what they call "don't care shot" through the IV and began the drip. It's called "don't care" for a reason, man, 'cause I couldn't have cared less. If they'd asked me for a brain tissue same, I'd probably have told then yes! :giggle: Then, when the doc was ready, they added that day's anesthsia cocktail to the drip. I was out in 2 seconds... and didn't feel anything until I awoke. So if you ever had to do it again - it could save your life - then ask them about how they do the sedation or ask to speak to the anesthesiolgist before starting or, even, maybe before scheduling the procedure. I just don't want to see you develop a phobia against something that could save your life... kwim? My doc told me that I was extremely lucky - the polyp he had found would not normally have been found until I was 50, and by then it would have metastasized into cancer and would have riddled my bowel. So, though I really hate them (mostly 'cause of the "go lightly" to the potty brew that you have to do beforehand ) I still go when it is time... just to be safe. Take care and be healed, my dear. Keep me posted, 'kay?

Closed Thread