It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

daisymae9368 HB User
question about fibro

Hi, I am new here but not new to being sick. I need an opinion from others who have been diagnosed with fibro.

It seems to me that fibro is what you are diagnosed with when they can't find anything else. I was told about 5 years ago that I had fibromyalgia. The doctor said she came to this conclusion because she could find no other cause for my symptoms. Things are now getting worse and I have no insurance so there is no hope for new testing or treatment. I wonder though if I even truly have fibro....or is it something else. I want to post some of my symptoms and see if anyone else can relate.....

It first started very simply...I had episodes of feeling like I was coming down with the flu. I was about 28 at the time. I would run a low fever and ache all over. After a day or 2 I was ok and wouldn't have it again for a few weeks. After a year or so of this I suddenly one day developed joint pain and felt so sore all over my body...I was about 30 at the time and to this day this has never left. It happened almost overnight. I also developed extreme fatigue at this time and still have it today.

I went to my primary care doc I had at the time and he found nothing except a positive ana test. He sent me to a rhuem...This doc told me several things, he said I had psoratic arthritis, anyklosing spondalitis, hashimotos disease, and possibly fibro. I had all the symptoms of Lupus except a rash on my face so he said no for lupus.... He gave me 2 meds...vioxx and azulfadine...both made me horribly sick and I had to stop them. I then sought a second opinion. This next doc found nothing...not even fibro....he said the x-rays of my bone degeneration at the joints was just due to my age....I was only 30!!!! I had the bones of a 50 year old.... so on to another doc....

I saw several and everyone gave me different dx and said the other docs were wrong. To date I have been dx's with the following but had other docs say I had none of this.....

Hashimotos
RA (possible) but I had no rhumetoid factor
fibro
anyklosing spondalitis
psoratic arthritis
osteo arth
depression....of course I was depressed....I was sick
cfs
ebv

and probably a few I can't remember

The main things I do know is.....I am in pain, all my joints hurt...all of them. Sometimes they are swollen. They pop all the time. My muscles are achy all the time, I am always tired and sore. My back is awful and I have walking problems. I have gained alot of weight due to past meds and just an intensely severe appetite...I can barely turn my neck because of pain and stiffness,,,,I itch all the time, my skin is so dry it cracks, my hair is thinner and it falls out alot. I run fevers for no reason between 99 and 101. I can barely get out of bed because of stiffness every morning and it takes hours before I can move around comfortably. I have skin rashes like nothing I have ever seen. Pimple like lesions...smaller than a boil that last for months...one has been with me a year or so now....sometimes they drain but mostly they are just painful.

That covers all my major symptoms. As far as testing I have had I know my ana is pos. I have a slightly elevated thyroid but it is still well within normal range, Rhuem factor is neg as of 2 years ago...x-rays showed degeneration in both wrists, knees, and hips....mri showed possible hernated disk in lower back, mrsa tests were neg on rash, I have never had psoriasis...which is key to psoratic athritis.... I have a few of the tender points associated with fibro but not all

Oh...I am very clumsy lately...dropping things...tripping...and walking sometimes I lose balance...that is in the last year....

Thanks to anyone who might could help....maybe I do have just fibro but maybe not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: question about fibro

Positive ANA, fevers, joint degeneration, it really does NOT sound to me like you only have fibro. It sounds like some sort of autoimmune disease they can't quite pin down. It's possible that one of the anti-rheumatics would help you an awful lot if you could find a way to pay for it.

Closed Thread