It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

1debbie HB User
HOW DO YOU KEEP WALKING, Nevermind RUNNING???

I have tried to keep doing my yoga for some stretching to stay flexible and moving, but I am so crippled from all of this new and growing Fibro pain I am becoming immobile. I have a treadmill, and several weeks ago was able to at least walk quickly, and alternate with running for one mile. Now I am out of breath, and I hurt so bad I feel like I am dying when I try to just walk at a steady rate. I am new to this and obviously this flare keeps getting worse, and none of the meds. they are throwing at me are working, and I can't tolerate many. Am I screwed for the rest of my life now? Is life going to just be pain, and over. As it is my husband walked out on my son and I this past Aug. after a 30 yr. marriage. Talk about trauma. HE went through a mid life crisis, and now look at me. Who is going to want a woman with a son and Fibro?? In Nov. I was starting to try to put my life together again. I am considered a very attractive woman, tall, slender. Started to eat better, exercise, I was a yoga instructor, started classes again, was a therapist, started job hunting, started walking, started socializing with single men. Now I can't even walk a block without getting winded, and my body is changing. What does the future hold? I was depressed enough. Now I run to Dr.'s and no one knows what is wrong. They think it's Fibro, but it could have been bone CA, now it could be Muscular Dystrophy. I am developing a peripheral neuropathy, and I am in excruciating pain 24/7, and unable to sleep through the night most nights. Is there hope for me, for walking, and for life after Fibro., as a single mom??? Thanks for listening.... 1 Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: HOW DO YOU KEEP WALKING, Nevermind RUNNING???

Hi Debbie, I understand about exercise thing. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week, then I cut to 3, then 2, switched to swimming and 15 minutes or so on the stationary bike. But I still had so much pain and the exercise was making my knees and back horribly painful. So now I have not gone to the gym in months.

I am overweight, but I was when I was working out also. The only thing I do now is walk the dog, and I walk slow, for about 10 or 15 minutes a day. It's all I can handle now. I do some stretching and I recently got a yoga tape. A lot of the moves I can't do because of the twisting and bending of the back. I only do what I can.

If you are slender, I would not go overboard with the exercise. As long as you can still walk around the house, and maybe do some walking at a steady pace a few times a week or whatever. Don't stress about it because it makes everything worse. I used to worry, but now I tell myself I am doing the best I can for now. You have enough problems.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita27 View Post
Hi Debbie, I understand about exercise thing. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week, then I cut to 3, then 2, switched to swimming and 15 minutes or so on the stationary bike. But I still had so much pain and the exercise was making my knees and back horribly painful. So now I have not gone to the gym in months.

I am overweight, but I was when I was working out also. The only thing I do now is walk the dog, and I walk slow, for about 10 or 15 minutes a day. It's all I can handle now. I do some stretching and I recently got a yoga tape. A lot of the moves I can't do because of the twisting and bending of the back. I only do what I can.

If you are slender, I would not go overboard with the exercise. As long as you can still walk around the house, and maybe do some walking at a steady pace a few times a week or whatever. Don't stress about it because it makes everything worse. I used to worry, but now I tell myself I am doing the best I can for now. You have enough problems.
I posted about the exercising thing the other day. I just walk down the street and I have so much pain. I'm trying to start out small. But I was in so much pain I could barely walk. Today I took a day off. you just need a break. i know I have to excersize but it's so hard.

Last edited by SnowBunny89; 03-16-2009 at 05:06 AM.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
(female)

ngtstrm HB User

Hi, Debbie honey. Has anything you’ve tried helped you with any of your symptoms at all? I worry about you a lot and wonder how you are. Are you still going to see a neuro? Have your symptoms gotten worse over the last week? Have you gotten any test results that might shine a light on what's really happening with you? I really wish I knew someway to help you.

Which style of yoga do you do? Is there one that you could do that would be a better fit for how your body acts now? What about a different routine? Through my thread “Seeking relief through stretching?”, I’ve gotten a lot of gentle beginner stretches that are helping me… maybe something there could help you, so please check it out if you get a chance. Also, goldenwings, has a great routine for upper body pain (neck and shoulders) that I’m sure she’d send to you if you asked. It has helped me tremendously with my neck and back pain issues.

If there’s anyway I can help, please let me know. Meanwhile, know that I’m thinking of you and would like to help as best I can. You’re a strong, beautiful lady, so just keep on keepin’ on, beautiful lady!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

(((debbie))). The only exercise I get now is if I have the strength to walk around the house (indoors) I try to keep walking..start in LR around through the dining room..through the kitchen down the hall and back...and do it over again...

Sometimes I walk up and down the stairs...it makes me feel somewhat better since I feel useless as a person for the most part..

Keep seeing the Doctor's until you get diagnosed...don't stop..okay?

There are times I read here...I don't respond because I'm to tired to type

There are a lot of good people here and we will support you all we can but honey you KEEP GOING AND GOING to the DOCTOR's...

With my Fibromyalgia I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Rhuematoid Arthritis (maybe OsteoArthritis...all these years and the Doc's still out on this) I just say I have both ...

IBS (Irratable Bowel Syndrome)
Depression
PTSD
Anxiety
Stress
Can't Sleep (Still awake at 2 this morning...sigh..)
Pills keep me lazy/foggy

theres more to add but I'm getting tired so I'll shut up for now..

Anyway, we're here for you...come here when you're down I'm sure one of us has gotten themselves into something comical and will lighten your day

Be Well Sweety.

Belle~

Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Are you out of breath all the time or only after exertion? I was concerned about this since being out of breath is not a fibro symptom, but could be a signal of something else that is wrong.

It is too bad your ex did not have the courage to stay with you "for better or "worse". You ARE a beautiful women and there is an answer for you. Keep going and don't let go until you have your answer.

Kirstee

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
(female)

applecollector HB User

Debbie, I just got remarried. I had been married 28 years when my husband was killed in a car accident in 02.

two years ago I met a wonderful, christian man (on internet) he knew from the beginning my limitations etc. and has been so kind and considerate (well most of the time--no man is perfect)

I am still trying to just do what I can when I can with pain, and fatigue somedays nothing gets done.

I have been on disability since 02--(my depression got me that as I have had it more years than fibro or what ever the dr's want to call this)

I tried to work part time this past fall---and by the end of day could not walk--I loved the job (working in a fabric store) I love to sew and have a studio but have not been able to do much.

We have to give ourselves permission that we can only do what we can.

Walk 10, 15 min at a time just build up to what you can do. only worry about running if you need to get out of house or someplace in a hurry

I don't even like going shopping anymore

they say water aerobic is suppose to be good---

This is not the end---it is just another one of lifes journeys --or at least that is what I try and tell myself

Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
(female)

1debbie HB User

Hi Apple collector, Did you 2nd husband know you were ill when he met you? It must be so difficult to find someone to love us this way. I am such a mess now, that I don't even love me. 1Debbie

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
(female)

1debbie HB User

Hi Kirstee, thanks for the kind words. The shortness of breath has started after exercise recently. I have noticed that my breath has become shallower though. Tomorrow I go the a neurologist. My rheumatologist thinks I may have a form of MD. I didn't think you could get that as an adult. I am so ill, in so much pain, and can't sleep. I can't quiet my mind from all the emotional junk that my husband left us with. If I did not get this sick I would be out working now, and probably dating, which I had just started to do. Well looks like that is never going to happen now. My hair continues to fall out, my mouth hurts, gums sore, teeth sore, eye lashes fell out. I'm so scared because even my doctors say if this is Fibro it is the worst case they have seen. 1Debbie

Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
(female)

1debbie HB User

Thanks Belle of the South, Just walking around the living room seems like being in prison. Everyone else, including my husband, are out there living while I am becoming a shut-in. The pain is incredible. I certainly have plenty more diagnoses I can put on top of Fibro. The Depression now, Stress as you can tell, Can't sleep, Brain Fog, now developed problems with my mouth from meds and could lose my beautiful teeth (more pain now, develping muscle weakness, losing vision, and hearing, Hypothyroid, Osteopenia, and none of the MEds. work except to dry out my mouth to the point where they have now caused problems with my gums, and teeth. I know I sound pathetic, but that is how this is making me feel, that and incredibly helpless. I helped my father through a long struggle with Prostate CA in the early 80's. It was so painful to watch him slowly die for 4 yrs. and it ended up in his bones and the pain was horrible. But he was initially given 4 mos. to live, and at least we knew what we were fighting, and we knew we were going to lose, and that there were drugs to be used for every phase. No one knows what to do to give me any relief here. There is no quality of life here. I am not living. 1Debbie

Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
(female)

applecollector HB User

debbie, yes my new husband knew of my illness from the start---and really he has seen me get worse.

are you on anti depressants if not you might need to be---

I suffer from depression anyway and all the other added on top does not help.

I have become a shut since my husband died---I hate leaving the house, it takes so much to get ready to leave then just to shop.

Be easy with yourself---

Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Oh Debbie honey..(((Gentle Hugs for You)))... If you are on a Thyroid Med then it sounds as if you need it to be stronger..

Staying in the house is like being in prison at times

Husbands? Ex-Husbands? ... well ... my Ex-Husband and I re-married after being divorced 13 years...actually we never got to far away from each other and then the sicker I became the more he understood what was going on with me..

He watches over me like a hawk when he's home from work and calls to check up on me..he changed a lot..

PLEASE get to a Doctor as soon as possible. Write down everything you've told us so you won't forget a thing and put it in your purse on the spot so you won't leave it home...

(((Big Gentle Hugs Again)))..I gotta go but I'll be back later...Hang in there..

Belle~

Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Oh Debbie. . . you are making my heart hurt just listening to your suffering But keep going. You're in the same boat as some others on this board. Ask the doc about Sjogrens (mouth issues). Losing hair and eyelashes can happen with FMS. I go through flares of hair loss. A low thyroid can cause hair and eyelash loss. Has your doc checked your thyroid?

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
(female)

1debbie HB User

Hi Kirstee, Just today I found out my thyroid test came back low. I made an appt. to see an Endocrinologist on Mon. I know my hair can fall out from thyroid, and stress... Thanks so much for getting back to me. I am so sorry there are so many others suffering in this lovely Fibro Boat with me. How horrible! Thanks also for telling me about the Sjoren's. I only heard about it yesterday from the Neuro Doc, as he mentioned it as well. He feels that some of my pain is from trauma, and pain initially of a different origin, but he thinks something neurologically is going on as well. I am going to have an MRI of my head, EMG of LE's, blood work to rule out mineral toxins, and will see an ENT Dr. because I am quickly losing my hearing, and my mouth is a sore mess. I already went through a scare about bone cancer, and a bone biopsy, now I can go through this. In the end I have a feeling like everyone else I will end up with Fibro. I have to find ways to get this flare under control. I'm working on it. Take care. 1Debbie

Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
(female)

1debbie HB User

Hi Belle of the South, I did write everything down and took it to the Neuro Dr. yesterday. He doesn't think this is Fibro, but he does think it is related to depression, and some thing neurological. Today got back blood work finally that shows lowered thyroid level. Am seeing an endocrine doc. on Monday. Tomorrow am trying hyro-therapy. I also started on Prozac, and Nortiptyline for depression. Nothing seems to work right away. Everything takes a couple of weeks. I am a mess now. GOd knows how bad I will be if this stuff doesn't help in a week or more. I am having so much trouble seeing straight, thinking, and my hearing is getting really bad. Talk again soon. All the best to you. 1Debbie

Closed Thread