It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
food energy & stretching for Fibromyalgia fatigue

Does anyone find that foods help your fatigue?

I have always been one to skip breakfast all together & used to live on bad carbs, not drink any water, and instead drinking soda all day.

I have severe fatigue every second of the day.

Today, I changed to eating a big (healthy) breakfast + adding water and can feel the difference. Cured no, but feeling a bit better, yes.

I also find that stretching my muscles of the morning & afternoon helps somewhat. I hear overdoing it with exercising can trigger Fibro but I think underdoing it is just as bad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: food energy & stretching for Fibromyalgia fatigue

I agree. I do not think that there is a magic diet cure for FMS, but eating well (3 nutritious meals a day, protein, complex carbs, vegetables) can certainly help.

Saturated fats promote inflammation, so you don't want too many of those. Eating fruits, veggies and whole grains can keep the digestive system working right.

Good luck in continuing your positive changes, and I'm sure you will continue to reap the benefits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Eating right certainly helps my fibro. Staying away from sugar is a big help to me. Just eating a good healthy diet helps a lot, and drinking lots of water. And stretching every morning loosens my muscles an makes the day a lot better.

Glojer

Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

There's a list of foods online that state they promote energy. Don't know how well it works, but I'm so desperate, I'll try anything. Now I'm charting down everything I do and when I seem to feel better or worse. Today I had a crash down of energy every 2 1/2 hours after I ate. I'm tempted to start monitoring my blood sugar levels.

I am compiling a list together of every possible cause of fatigue. I know it's just a symptom of Fibromyalgia, but I can't believe Fibromyalgia exists without reason.

Here's what I came up with so far:
poor eating habits, use of alcohol, cigarettes, inactivity, possible dehydration (from not drinking water), taking pain medications, & poor sleeping habits (I actually over-sleep and that's not good either)

Whatever has done this to me, one way or the other, I am going to find my way out. It wouldn't be so bad if it was manageable, but I haven't been so lucky. Usually half the time I'm screeming/crying in pain & the other half I'm sleeping too much.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

What I find is that it's important to eat a complex carbohydrate and a protein source with every meal. I particularly do well with a breakfast of oatmeal with milk, a little fruit, and a handful of nuts. Dinner is usually stir-fried veggies with a little meat or fish over rice (husband is Chinese.) Lunch is more variable, but I do need something substantial. I like snacks, too. Cheese, bread and hummus, hard boiled eggs are a nice protein bite that fit in a pocket, yummy!

With exercise, even when I'm at my worst (which isn't nearly as bad as some folks here get, I know), I try to at least move around several times a day. Don't stay in one position too long, if I'm working at a desk, I try to stand up and move my arms around every half hour or so.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

well nothing helped me today except sleeping, and i had to suffer some horrible shoulder/neck pain from being in bed so long

not that i am depressed (i am not depressed) but how easy it would be if life would just end

i changed my diet, i'm exercising (stretching/walking)

taking multivitamins

drinking water

but today i feel worse than ever. that fatigue & muscle pain can kiss my xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxF K YOU FIBROMYALGIAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i am not too happy right now

Last edited by neveragain444; 03-19-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just found this ebook online "End Tiredness Program"

Anyone ever heard of it?

it talks about how oversleeping can make you more tired

i couldn't resist but buying it

If it works, I'll be back and post what I did that helped.

Have you ever noticed the more you sleep, the worse you feel? Well, I have.

Last night I went to bed at 8:30 pm, woke up at 1:00 am, 3am, got up around 7:15am, went back to bed at 10:30am, get back up around 1:30pm. And I've had to just fight the rest of the day to not jump back in bed. It's been an awful day.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know what you mean, I'm still exhausted from a cold I caught last week. Doing better Wednesday, then today I finally went back to the gym. Bleah!

If you are used to eating large amounts of sugar and junk, you might feel worse for a few days when you start eating healthy. It shouldn't be dramatically worse, and it shouldn't last long, but it does happen sometimes.

Hang in there!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm still getting some sugar like with my apple/peanut butter combo & still drink a couple of glasses of Pepsi every day. Well I can't just go cold turkey on pop. lol. But I'm getting to where I love vegetables and hate junk food. I don't miss it.

I think what I need more than anything is HOPE.

You kind of have to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel, or a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.

Well I have to know that I can beat this. Or at least be 1/2 functional. If I go through every single possible cause as to why I feel this way and eliminate it only to find out that nothing makes a difference, I believe I'd have to shoot myself.

And it's not the pain, though I have many nights I am screeming in utter misery, it's the fatigue that's killing me. (thanks)

Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Neveragain, did you have a thyroid bloodtest done? That is a very important thing to have done and to work on if your numbers aren't good. If you have the test or have had the test, you need to get a copy of your bloodwork and read it for yourself and do some research. Many docs just go by what the lab says, and if it shows in range then they say you are fine. You also need more than just a TSH done, you need the Free T4 and Free T3. They all need to be in range. I only bring this up because of how much you want to sleep and then of course the fatigue, which doesn't go away totally for me even when my thyroid is at optimum for me. Then of course the pain for me is worse when I am hypothyroid. It is amazing how some of us really need to have our thyroid numbers good to be able to get the fibro under as much control as is possible. This is just a suggestion. I am dealing with VitD deficiency, hypothyroid, and now I have learned another little goody that some times having a low ferritin level can be a problem. I have yet to look into the ferritin thing.

I totally relate to your fatigue and sleeping all the time. Oh and yes I agree, sleeping too much does make you feel worse. I have said that for years, but when you are so tired and fatigued it is hard not to sleep. My solution was the thyroid.

Glojer

Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

If you over do with with exercising. You will be paying for it later. This happened to me. You have to take it a little bit at a time what is comfortable for you.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny89 View Post
If you over do with with exercising. You will be paying for it later. This happened to me. You have to take it a little bit at a time what is comfortable for you.
Trust me I'm not. I would like to make it to stretching every day & 1/2 hour walks in the afternoon, but I haven't been for a walk all week.

When I used to go to physical therapy, they said my body had aged to a person about 65 years old, at that time, I was in my early 30's. This is the result of letting FMS/CFIDS get the best of you.

I heard when you exercise to the point of exhaustion, it can hurt your immune system by pouring the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol into your body. Your body becomes exhausted & has no time to rest & heal, bringing on sickness and fatigue. I heard this can also cause chronic fatigue syndrome.

I don't think I would ever feel well enough that I could exercise that much. lol.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glojer View Post
Neveragain, did you have a thyroid bloodtest done? That is a very important thing to have done and to work on if your numbers aren't good. If you have the test or have had the test, you need to get a copy of your bloodwork and read it for yourself and do some research. Many docs just go by what the lab says, and if it shows in range then they say you are fine. You also need more than just a TSH done, you need the Free T4 and Free T3. They all need to be in range. I only bring this up because of how much you want to sleep and then of course the fatigue, which doesn't go away totally for me even when my thyroid is at optimum for me. Then of course the pain for me is worse when I am hypothyroid. It is amazing how some of us really need to have our thyroid numbers good to be able to get the fibro under as much control as is possible. This is just a suggestion. I am dealing with VitD deficiency, hypothyroid, and now I have learned another little goody that some times having a low ferritin level can be a problem. I have yet to look into the ferritin thing.

I totally relate to your fatigue and sleeping all the time. Oh and yes I agree, sleeping too much does make you feel worse. I have said that for years, but when you are so tired and fatigued it is hard not to sleep. My solution was the thyroid.

Glojer
My 2 cousins, my 2 sisters, & my brother, and I, have all been said that we are genetically cursed that we will end up with this supposedly rare thyroid disease that our grandfather had that all of his grandchildren will end up getting. This doctor, in my opinion, was a little bit too sure of herself. My older sister is the only one with the thyroid disease at this point. Yes I have had my thyroids checked, and they are okay. I just don't think I should be second guessing what my doctors seem to think is normal in range but thank you for the advice. Maybe I will consider going to this doctor and getting checked sometime in the future though. She wanted us all tested by her, guess it couldn't hurt anything looking into it. But I have really never heard of, except by word of this doctor, that there is a such thing as a rare type of thyroid disease.

On the days that I really oversleep, are the days, I think dying would be easier than living. In fact, when I was in my bad mood, in one of the earlier posts, it was one of those days.

I know exactly what you mean, and I know it's difficult to fight not taking daytime naps, or to stay in bed half the day, or even to get up of the morning, because you know it's going to just be another day of chronic fatigue & pain. Who looks forward to that? I sure don't. But that has to be one of the worst things you can do to yourself. There are days, that I have slept 20 of 24 hours. I don't work so I don't have a job to get in the way of when I want to sleep, & housework, it can always wait until I have a little more energy. Sleeping longer does not in any way shape or form make you more rested or promote more energy. Weirdly enough, it has the exact opposite effect. The days I oversleep, are the days I feel my very worst. When I wake up in the morning, I don't get up, I do whatever I can to fall back asleep, even though sometimes it's really difficult.

This ebook I bought online, basically talks about your 5 stages of sleep, and explains when you oversleep, why you are causing yourself unnecessary sleep fragmentation, it has you to chart down how you sleep every night for about a week, then you can determine through a chart they provide how much sleep a night your body needs, then you take that information to make a schedule of how long you are going to sleep during the night, and go to bed the same time every night & get up the same time every morning, and stick with it. It's claim is to stop fatigue and bring on alot of energy by doing so. Now I honestly don't think that's true, but I think the program can be helpful at least.

I may never be able to properly go through my stages of sleep and feel completely rested, I've been told I wake up 150 times a night (unaware), and I have mild sleep disordered breathing, that gets worst during REM sleep. Like an idiot, I sold my CPAP. Every time I wake up, it is while I'm in the middle of a dream. There is no way my sleep will ever be too restful without that CPAP. But I really hated that thing. They claim if you don't go through the stages of sleep properly, it can make you feel awful. I think when you wake up in the morning, you are supposed to be back in stage 2 sleep. I am always in stage 5.

Another problem I've had is repeadedly waking up during the night, being aware of waking up, that is in itself, quite horrible in the way it makes you feel. Sometimes I was going to sleep by 6 or 7 PM. Big NO NO.

The past two nights, I have fought this whole oversleeping thing, and it's not easy, but I will just watch movies until midnight hits around, or like last night, me & my daughter just played board games until that time rolled around, anything to get my mind off of the whole "sleeping" thing, I go to sleep around midnight, and amazingly can sleep till around 6 am without waking up. I'm used to waking up like 11pm, 1 am, 2am, 3am, 5 am (I'm sure you get the point) but it really makes a difference. I go back to sleep 1/2 hr to an hour later and sleep till around 9am. By the time I go to sleep I am exhausted but I have been waking up with more energy than I have had in a very long time. I'm still tired but nothing NOTHING like I was. I can do my housework without making myself in total misery from not wanting to do anything whatsoever.

This has been so horrible for me and consumed my life so badly, that I mind as well be paralized from head to toe in a wheel chair. The only person I know who has these same type of problems I do, is my mom, and she at least has a known cause for her troubles. But she still however has the get up and go to make herself work. I can't even do that and she's twice my age.

I used to not even believe in CFS or FMS. The whole thing of it existing but no blood test can prove it, with no cause, no cure, but the worse I would get, and the harder I'd try to figure out why, only to land on my face, the more I'd believe it has to be real. The only reason my doctor diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia was because he didn't know what else could be wrong. My rhematologist argued it was early stages of Lupus, but I really don't believe that. There's still doctors that don't believe that Fibromyalgia is for real. After 12 years though, I have had a serious change of heart.

Someone with Lupus, can at least say, I know why I feel horrible. With Fibromyalgia, there's a big question mark ????????????????????? as to what is the cause behind it. There's no explanation whatsoever. It's really horrible to have something consume your life so bad that you can't even function, to not get a reasonable explanation as to why. I thought it was worse. I never considered myself to be the lucky one, but I am. I mean, someone with Lupus may know why they are sick, but there's nothing they can do, to ever get rid of that. With Fibromyalgia, you at least have a fighting chance. It isn't like they know why you feel this way, is it? Who's to say it's not curable?

I have went through tests after tests after tests. I'm sure alot of you know exactly what that's like. Trying to find that answer to come up with absolutely nothing. In my opinion, this is telling me, that this illness has to be coming from my lifestyle choices. I have physical health problems, but I don't think anything wrong with me explains these kind of problems. Even if doctors can't explain it, there is a reason behind Fibromyalgia. No one could feel that horrible without a cause.

The Following User Says Thank You to neveragain444 For This Useful Post:
xyzgigi (02-20-2012)
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Hey ~~ Neveragain444

It's so good to read of your life style change. I am behind you !! helping mentally, to climb up that mountain to the platue of relief.
You are on a personal ~ Courageous Conquest that only you can walk one step at a time and pause inbetween...to gather a deep calming breath and be refreshed to take another step and review as you look back fom whence you've come...

It's O.K. to cry too ~ ~ ~
It's O.K. to get angry ~ ~ ~
It's O.K. to laugh ~ ~ ~
It's O.K. to find humor that only belongs to you ~ ~ ~
It's O.K. to take it easy ~ ~ ~
It's O.K. to say No to whatever is asked of you ~ ~ ~

This " Fibro" is forever changing, even as you change, it seems the is alive and well.
The " Culinary Change " diet is a 4 letter word ~ your on is removing the toxins throughout your body. I went through an increase in pain, fatique headache ect. I did listen to my body and rested with-in limits of course. I also took a few warm to hot soaking baths a day to confuse the nerve endings and give relief from the pain.
What I realized, was my body was Detoxing from exactly what ? I can only guess. That's a Novel that keeps getting written...and revised. I guess it's good to consider ~learn and apply if so..

Keep on Keeping on and Do it to IT....

Best Regards

Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for that support. I have actually been able to go back to walking about 1/2 hr every day. I have also started dancing which gets me pretty short of breath & makes my pulse go insane (it's harder than it looks), but it's probably one of the funnest/easiest ways to throw in some aerobic exercising, for someone like me, who just hates exercising, this helps.

If my shoulder/neck pain gets bad from dancing, I just rub some vick sab on it, and lay down, it helps. My shoulder pain isn't quite so bad now though. I'm not waking up having this horrible pain in my shoulders anymore, keeping me from sleeping good.

I can feel such a change in my energy level since I throwed in the dancing as part of my exercise routine, it's just amazing. I was so hopeless in thinking nothing would ever work and now I can see that light at the end of the tunnel. I really do believe I am going to beat this CFIDS, FMS illness afterall with some persistence.

Closed Thread