It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Memphis doctors...please help!!

I read the sticky above and hope I am doing this the right way. I have fibromyalgia and my doctor does not give pain meds for it. I am in danger of losing my job, my house and yard are a wreck and on and on. I am in so much pain there are days I cannot do anything. I am not looking for massive amounts of pain medicine. I just want enough to get me through the worst times.
My doctor ( rhuematologist) basically ignores my complaints and says that's your life now. Can someone tell me a doctor that deals with fibro and will help with pain medication?
Thank-you so much in advance.
Sophie 56

Last edited by Administrator; 04-13-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Fibro doc in or near Memphis

I would be willing to drive to get a doc who listens and understands what we go through. Also, one that will give pain meds if needed. Thanks...this is a hard pill to swallow...no pun intended.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User
Re: Memphis doctors...please help!!

Dr. Mocir Schnapp
Memphis, TN

Fab doc. here in town

T

Last edited by moderator2; 03-23-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: please do not post street address - name, city, state only as per the posting policy

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Oh thank you so much. I teach shcool and am having such a rough year. Sophie 56

Last edited by Administrator; 04-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
(female)

ngtstrm HB User

Hi, Sophie. Just a thought... do you have to stay in TN for your doc? I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of checking some locations "nearby", based on the distance from downtown Memphis. Here's a list of possible alternate locations, just based on driveability of about 2 hours or less:

West Memphis, AR (10 min)
Hernando, MS (25 min) - don't know what's here, but it was close...
Little Rock, AR (2:05) - a longer drive but possible?
Jackson, TN (1:24) - I've heard there's a good doc here but don't know who... sorry.
New Madrid, MO (1:52).

Just wondered if any are doable. Maybe someone can tell you if there's a good doc in any of these locations. Just a thought... I've experienced so much frustration on this issue myself that I really hurt for you. I just wish there was something more concrete I could do. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thank-you, thank-you I will check into Schnapp and a couple of the places are within a couple of miles from me.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ErinS64 HB User

you need to see a pain management dr. They are going to be more knowlegable about the different meds that are used to treat the special type of pain fibro causes.

I was nervous about seeing one too. But was very pleasantly surprised. He understood what I was dealing with. I was lucky too that my rheumi had called him and told him my history and told him to do whatever it took to get me to a managable level.

I have been fighting this for a while. Hospitalized several times and have had 8 fractured ribs in the last 2 years due to long term steroid use making my bones very brittle. Luckily he knows me well enough to know when I say I am having unbearable pain now, that I am not playing around.

You need a good rheumi for sure, but you also need a pain management doctor. They are the only ones that are comfortable prescribing pain meds on a long term basis.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thank-you my next step is to see a pain management doctor. I have seen one already and one rhumie neither believe in pain med relief.....what a nightmare. I've yet to find a new rhumie but I do have the name of a good pain management(according to the person who referred him) Memphis just seems to be lightyears away from doctors with any compassion that I have found. Best to you.
Sophie 56

Closed Thread

« Shin pain | Rls »