It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Restless sleep waking up often during the night

Does anyone get restless sleep? Like keep waking up every few hours? I have not gotten a good nights sleep in the longest time. I usually stay up all night and sleep all day. so then at night I was all slept out. I always have had periods like this.

The night before I went to to the Doctors I only slept an hour I was so frazzled. Well I was so tired afterward s that night I went to bed about 9pm woke up at 4:15 which I almost slept the night. Last night I went to bed at about 10:30 and woke up at 3:30 and finally got up. But I was waking up it seemed every hour. I don't even feel like I slept. It's so frustrating.

Oh btw. I know they say sleep in a dark room But I just can't sleep like that. I have a sound machine with beach sounds, my air filter, and I usually put on a movie on to fall asleep. I just can't sleep in a quiet dark room.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by SnowBunny89; 03-22-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: Restless sleep waking up often during the night

Hi Snowbunny. I have a terrible time also. I got addicted to Ambien a few months ago, now not only does it not work anymore, it gives me a chronic headache too. I am tapering down to get off of it.

I have never been a good sleeper, and since I got the fibro and arthritis and back problems, it is almost impossible to get a good nights sleep. It takes me forever to fall asleep, then I wake up two hours later. I don't go to bed too early because I know I won't fall asleep for hours. And the longer I lay in bed the more everything hurts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita27 View Post
Hi Snowbunny. I have a terrible time also. I got addicted to Ambien a few months ago, now not only does it not work anymore, it gives me a chronic headache too. I am tapering down to get off of it.

I have never been a good sleeper, and since I got the fibro and arthritis and back problems, it is almost impossible to get a good nights sleep. It takes me forever to fall asleep, then I wake up two hours later. I don't go to bed too early because I know I won't fall asleep for hours. And the longer I lay in bed the more everything hurts.
An Xanax usually works for me not always. I can fall asleep I just keep waking up. It depends sometimes I can sleep and not wake up for 10 hours. It sucks to go to bed in pain. Lots of times my legs ach and It's so uncomfortable.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I know what it's like. I've had a bladder that doesn't want to deactivate and pain that wants to activate once I lay down. Sometimes I'd wake up without any good reason whatsover, sometimes every hour.

One of the things I have recently found out is that I am going to bed way too early and sleeping way too long, which in turn is making me wake up frequently.

If I wait until midnight to go to sleep, I can sleep 5 hrs straight, which for me, is really good considering what my sleep was like before. Then I get up for 1/2 hr to an 1 and go back to sleep for about 2 1/2 more hours. It really has helped me feel better.

Consistency is also very important, going to bed & waking up the same time every day, or at least trying to.

Some people were not meant to go to bed early. Try a later time in the night, between 11-12 and see if that helps at all. If not, let me know, I'll try to send you some more suggestions.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

One more thing, have you had a sleep study done to see why this might be occuring?

If you have something like sleep apnea, it can also cause frequent awakenings. In the attempt to start breathing again, it can wake you up.

You might want to consider talking to your doctor about that, if one hasn't been done.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny89 View Post
An Xanax usually works for me not always. I can fall asleep I just keep waking up. It depends sometimes I can sleep and not wake up for 10 hours. It sucks to go to bed in pain. Lots of times my legs ach and It's so uncomfortable.
It is also very hard to sleep when your feeling that pain when trying to sleep. While I have been dead cold asleep dreaming, I have still been able to feel my pain. One thing that I found helpful was taking Darvocet & Flexeril at bedtime. Maybe you could try a warm bath about an hour before bedtime to see if that helps. Don't do it right dead before you go to sleep though, your body temp needs time to cool down so you can sleep good. You might want to ask your doctor about some pain medication to take before you go to sleep. That might help.

I read online earlier with the national sleep foundation about how getting too much sleep is linked more to illnesses and death rate than not getting enough sleep. 10 hours is probably too much sleep. Shoot for 7 or 8 and try going to bed later in the night. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
It is also very hard to sleep when your feeling that pain when trying to sleep. While I have been dead cold asleep dreaming, I have still been able to feel my pain. One thing that I found helpful was taking Darvocet & Flexeril at bedtime. Maybe you could try a warm bath about an hour before bedtime to see if that helps. Don't do it right dead before you go to sleep though, your body temp needs time to cool down so you can sleep good. You might want to ask your doctor about some pain medication to take before you go to sleep. That might help.

I read online earlier with the national sleep foundation about how getting too much sleep is linked more to illnesses and death rate than not getting enough sleep. 10 hours is probably too much sleep. Shoot for 7 or 8 and try going to bed later in the night. Hope you feel better soon!
I have slept for up to 13 hours straight before. I'm on heavy Anxiety med's which makes me tired specially {Xanax} i think I'm just tired from Insomnia from Fibro and Anxiety. Lately I have been sleeping 6 or 7 hours. I'm trying to get into a sleeping pattern I would be up all night and sleep all day. I know is not good.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I'm jealous! You're getting more sleep than I do! FMS is notorious for sleeplessness during the night.

Kirstee

Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny89 View Post
I have slept for up to 13 hours straight before. I'm on heavy Anxiety med's which makes me tired specially {Xanax} i think I'm just tired from Insomnia from Fibro and Anxiety. Lately I have been sleeping 6 or 7 hours. I'm trying to get into a sleeping pattern I would be up all night and sleep all day. I know is not good.
If I take a valium, I can sleep almost an entire 24 hour period.

Maybe you should try a sleeping pill instead of Xanax to sleep. Ambien, my opinion is one of the best all round, it always has me asleep within 15 minutes after I lay down. I never had the day after drowsiness side effects like with some other sleeping pills I've tried. I hear the Ambien CR though can cause some crazy stuff to happen (doing things your not aware of).

I was drinking a beer every day for my anxiety (learned my lesson), anxiety is not exactly the easiest thing to tolerate. I can't get meds like your taking now cause my doctors view them as too addictive. Which is okay, after I took valium the last time, I knew I'd never again.

There's other medications though you could try. I like Buspar but I'm kind of like allergic to it or something (side effects).

I've tried beta blockers. It doesn't work well.

Maybe ask your doctor about taking a lower dose, maybe that would reduce any drowsy side effects.

The beer made me relaxed and well kind of lazy part of the day. It's a depressant just like Xanax, it slows the function of the central nervous system, which will cause some degree of fatigue. But it worked like a charm for the anxiety.

If you are one of those people whom have to go to bed late in order to sleep through the night and avoid sleep fragmentation, but aren't being given a choice but to sleep during the day, I think even with a sleeping pill, you are likely not going to be able to avoid the awakenings. But try going to sleep & waking up the same time every day, your body will get used to that pattern, and in turn, promote better sleep.

Be sure to avoid caffeine.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
If I take a valium, I can sleep almost an entire 24 hour period.

Maybe you should try a sleeping pill instead of Xanax to sleep. Ambien, my opinion is one of the best all round, it always has me asleep within 15 minutes after I lay down. I never had the day after drowsiness side effects like with some other sleeping pills I've tried. I hear the Ambien CR though can cause some crazy stuff to happen (doing things your not aware of).

I was drinking a beer every day for my anxiety (learned my lesson), anxiety is not exactly the easiest thing to tolerate. I can't get meds like your taking now cause my doctors view them as too addictive. Which is okay, after I took valium the last time, I knew I'd never again.

There's other medications though you could try. I like Buspar but I'm kind of like allergic to it or something (side effects).

I've tried beta blockers. It doesn't work well.

Maybe ask your doctor about taking a lower dose, maybe that would reduce any drowsy side effects.

The beer made me relaxed and well kind of lazy part of the day. It's a depressant just like Xanax, it slows the function of the central nervous system, which will cause some degree of fatigue. But it worked like a charm for the anxiety.

If you are one of those people whom have to go to bed late in order to sleep through the night and avoid sleep fragmentation, but aren't being given a choice but to sleep during the day, I think even with a sleeping pill, you are likely not going to be able to avoid the awakenings. But try going to sleep & waking up the same time every day, your body will get used to that pattern, and in turn, promote better sleep.

Be sure to avoid caffeine.
I don't know If I can take that. I'm on Buspar, Paxil, and Xanax for anxiety med's and they have sleep aids in them. Man I hate this no sleeping thing. i went to bed at 11:30sih and woke up at 1am and finally got up at 2. I did take a 3 hour nap yesterday.

I'm a bit freaked I read if you get too much sleep you can die. or if you don't get enough sleep you can die. I have went days without sleep. Even tho I don't get much sleep during the night I do take naps so i'm still sleeping.

Last edited by SnowBunny89; 03-23-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #11
(female)

grizzlyrose HB User

I can relate,,normally I don't have a problem going to sleep, it's trying to stay asleep, I'm losing out on my deep sleep because of the pain or having to go tinkle multiple times through out the night, getting out of bed in pain and feeling like you didnt even sleep a wink. Dr. has me on trazodone, it kinda helps, dont feel so fatigued and worn out, but it does wake me earlier then normal (bedtime 8pm wakes me up at 2 or 2:30 am.) and I don't like the side effect; bloating, increase appetite,weight gain, ugh!! Oh I forgot,,other times when trying to get some shut eye, my brain won't shut off even when I do dose off, my brain keeps racing of thoughts, songs,or of whatever I encouintered that day. Take care all & hag1. Grizz.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyrose View Post
I can relate,,normally I don't have a problem going to sleep, it's trying to stay asleep, I'm losing out on my deep sleep because of the pain or having to go tinkle multiple times through out the night, getting out of bed in pain and feeling like you didnt even sleep a wink. Dr. has me on trazodone, it kinda helps, dont feel so fatigued and worn out, but it does wake me earlier then normal (bedtime 8pm wakes me up at 2 or 2:30 am.) and I don't like the side effect; bloating, increase appetite,weight gain, ugh!! Oh I forgot,,other times when trying to get some shut eye, my brain won't shut off even when I do dose off, my brain keeps racing of thoughts, songs,or of whatever I encouintered that day. Take care all & hag1. Grizz.
I have the same problem. My mind is racing all these thoughts about random stuff. usually why I have the tv on.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyrose View Post
That reminds me of me. Going to bed early (6-8 pm) and getting up early like that. And you think to yourself 2 am or even 4 or 5 am is way too early to be up out of bed so you make yourself go back to sleep even if it takes an hour or more of laying there. You may not do this but I have.

But if you think about it, your body has received a good 6 to 6 1/2 hours of sleep and is probably ready to get up. It is however so darn early in the morning, there's nothing to do, and so your mind says NO WAY, go back to sleep.

I find going to bed later and not oversleeping very helpful with my energy and pain level both...

If you study about sleep, you'll actually learn that your brain doesn't shut down when you sleep, even though you would think it would, I was just reading about that the other day. Was kind of amazed to here it.

Closed Thread