It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User
Anyone else have rib pain?

I have chronic and long term inflammation and severe pain of the cartilage that connects the ribs. It is bad. I have a hard time filling my lungs.

It is either called costochondritis or Tietze's Syndrome depending on symptoms (you can search for it on wikiP for full info of symptoms, etc.)

I just wondered if this is related to fibro or not--anyone else have pain in their ribs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Re: Anyone else have rib pain?

One of my first symptoms was that my ribs were sore to the touch. I told my allergist, and she said there was this thing called "fibromyalgia". This was many years ago when people didn't know much about it.

I think in general it is always sore if I touch my ribs. But sometimes it gets extremely painful, which I think is the costo, but not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

oh yes many times my ribs hurt. not when sore to the touch but they are just sore.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
(female)

MizSpentyouth2 HB User

Yes I have the rib pain also was dx'ed with costo I get trigger points into my stenum and tween a few of the intercostal areas ouchies but it does help It can be constant at times the go away for a few months .

Huggies
Miz

Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

applecollector HB User

I also have rib pain---besides the pain under my rib---8 years ago it took me forever to convince the Dr's there was two problems going on.

One thing found was I had an enlarged sternum--another birth defect I have found in this quest--since all the test we have found about 5 or so birth defects---one snowflake cataract (which I have know long before the other things)--then the sternum thing, then I have an extra rib on right side also---and narrowing of spinal cord at the base of head/neck--and another one I can't remember at present

My mom was giving the drug DES (so she would not miscarry with me) when she was pregnant with me--so I still blame a lot of my problems on that drug---but when I researched it and tried to make a claim---Thanks to Dear Bush--the limitations had past---they still don't know all the affects that drug caused on women that took it, the child she gave birth too (it caused me to have two miscarriages and all my children where born 4 to 6 weeks early and that child (if girl) what affects it still may have

When I had my ultrasound done couple weeks ago, the tech asked if my ribs were sore---she knew I had fibro. and JEZZZZ just the ultrasound bar made them hurt bad. She said that the place in between our ribs is were all the nerve endings are and that Fibro causes it.

back 8 years ago the Dr tried to tell me that it was from sleeping under the fan, and cartilage was inflamed. Which I am sure many of the things I have had for 20 years are Fiber related or what ever they decide to call this DD.

Last edited by applecollector; 04-04-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

grizzlyrose HB User

I also have rib pain, in my mid back and around my to the side of my ribs with intermitting left front rib pain also right side flank pain to the point where it feels like my kidney is hurting off and on, but the pain comes and goes throughtout the day and occurs pretty much on a daily basis. Dang this is terrible, I sound like I'm a hypochondric.
Anyways, take care all and hag1. grizz

Old 04-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
(female)

lewpoo1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyrose View Post
I also have rib pain, in my mid back and around my to the side of my ribs with intermitting left front rib pain also right side flank pain to the point where it feels like my kidney is hurting off and on, but the pain comes and goes throughtout the day and occurs pretty much on a daily basis. Dang this is terrible, I sound like I'm a hypochondric.
Anyways, take care all and hag1. grizz
Hi
I have always been told I have Costocondritis which causes me terrible pain in my chest. I got rushed into Hospital 4 times last year because they thought I was having heart attacks but its the pain from costocondritis. Recently I went to the docs because i felt the pain was spreading. I now have pain everywhere apart from my feet. They now say I have Fibromyalgia. If its one or the other, neither are very nice. I am very depressed at the mo and cant stop crying. Good luck to everyone out there with these conditions.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
(male)

saugus HB User

Thanks for bringing up this subject.

Yes. Yes. Yes!!

I wake up in the mornings with deep rib pain. Not that it's good, but it is helpful to know others feel this also. There are times when I think I'm just plain nuts! I also feel lower back pain and pain in my pelvic bones......

One night my rib pain was so severe that I attempted to rush myself to the ER at 2AM. On the way I got pulled over for speeding. To cut to the chase, when I finally made it to the ER I was treated like I was nuts! I find that fairly common with FM and ER's. I hate to state the obvious, but I do believe that most MDs still consider us nuts.

You really have to live this crap to believe it! So, to all you smirking behind our back, MDs, F--- You!!!!!!!!

Last edited by saugus; 04-06-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Me too ;( and its getting worse been bad with it for days now l have it sternum area inbetween boobs( upper) under left collar bone esp sometimes under right l wake up with pain in the middle of my chest took some diclofenac saturday and was ill with my stomach yesterday and abit today l also have it in my mid back and lve had muscles spasms too for dasy now upper back both sides! Docs havnt given mine a name yet! Using the pc can make it worse for me, ironing etc prety much anything and everything l want to find some naturla anti inflammotries (foods?) thats why lve switched on today anyone got any ideas? Ps is anyone elses ribs really lumpy esp the bottom ones that lead around their back?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Although I am sorry to hear so much pain is going on, I felt better in knowing I wasn't alone. I assume that is the whole point of these boards.

Once in a while my son will accidentally bump into me, and I will jump about ten feet and scream in pain. He thinks I am nuts. I really am tired of dealing with pain. It is so life altering. I have been in chronic pain for so many years now. I don't get used to it, but rather try not to think about it as it is very depressing.

Best,
Julie

Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
(female)

Claff HB User

Hi I aso have the rib pain and very sore to the touch, I totally get where you're coming from about your son, I've two small kids and sometimes the pain of not being able to do all that they want to is far worse than the fibro pain.I can have cuddles with them but it has to be genle and if one of them runs and jumpson me or leans too hard on me I do that screeming thing too, totally freaks them out but now they just kind of laugh at me. And when I fall down I say I slipped in my socks, they think I'm the silliest person they know
Hope you have some better days and get a chance to play with your son
Sinead

Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Im off to docs this afternoon lve really really had enough!! Theres no sign of a rheumy follow up either so will ask about that. Do any of you girls have realy lumpy esp lower ribs? That seem to swell more as the day goes on? By late evening l feel like lm a barrel all my clothes etc feel too tight

Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

A couple of replies: my son is a teenager. He has Adhd, and so acts much less mature and is very clumsy himself. He has had to deal with a very sick mom for so long now. It is sad.

As far as the swelling in the lower ribs-I have that in my mid-lower ribs. It hurts to the touch. Awful. Really bad. I hope you find some help.

Oh! I forgot to mention!!! The treatment for this is anti-inflammatory meds--of which I cannot take due to having gastritis of the stomach.

It never ends!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi thete thanks for the reply x Doc just told me to carry on with the diclofenac and prescribed lonsparzole to take with it!! Hope it helps.. your right it never ends... lve to go back in 5 days if lm still the same way.. HA! as if.... l know how you feel l have a child with problems too and lve been ill for years and feel so guilty that l havnt been able to do lots of things l hate this so much so what do you do for your inflammation?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
(female)

stormysadie HB User

Hi,
I also have rib pain. On top of that I have severe breast pain with the Fibro. Sometimes, it hurts so bad that it's as though I bruised my ribcage. I also get more and more inflammation as the day goes on. To the point, I feel like a line backer in Football. I can hardly wear a bra the entire day. It has to come off. It's like jamming a sharp edge piece of plastic (front and back) into my ribs. The only thing I can do at this time (because my doctors haven't come up with a better solution) is to take an anti-inflammatory 3 x day. It doesn't always work. I wish you luck.

Closed Thread