It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
(female)

Snowbird HB User
Question Mattresses - What's The Best For Fibro?

Has anyone found a mattress that is gentle on a Fibro body? We have a Spring Aire Mattress (mucho expensive!) that we've had for over 10 years; it's in excellent shape but when the Fibo really became an issue we began using a copy cat version of a Tempur mattress topper (memory foam). It helps.

Due to some other medical issues I have been sleeping in my wing chair for about four months but when I do try to sleep in my bed I find that it is too hard on my body. It seems that when my body touches the mattress topper the stress on my muscles, tissue or whatever is very painful. Heck it even hurts when by body touches my wing chair but more so with the mattress and topper!

I'm wondering if there is a mattress that is gentle on a Fibro body, one that does not hurt. Has anyone found one that they could recommend? What about the Sleep Number Bed that sounds like it might be gentle, especially the lower (soft) numbers ... does anyone here have one of those? Can anyone tell me if they have found a mattress and/or topper that does not hurt?

Last edited by Snowbird; 04-28-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
(female)

gknee HB User
Re: Mattresses - What's The Best For Fibro?

I have heard from a few people that the Cuddle Eue mattress topper is great. I have though about trying it....

Check it out.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-28-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
(female)

applecollector HB User

I have heard great things about the cuddle ewe however it is not cheap

Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My mother bought a cuddle ewe, used it for several years, it was nice but no better than the $20 egg crate foam pads.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

My friend who use to work selling mattresses says you should never use a mattress more than 10yrs. Maybe the age of your mattress makes it worse. She also said that people adjust the sleep number bed almost everynight , at least for a substantial length of time. They get frustrated and think it is the beds fault, but it is their perceptions of the mattress and the way they think it changes.

Last edited by Glojer; 04-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
(female)

Snowbird HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glojer View Post
My friend who use to work selling mattresses says you should never use a mattress more than 10yrs. Maybe the age of your mattress makes it worse. She also said that people adjust the sleep number bed almost everynight , at least for a substantial length of time. They get frustrated and think it is the beds fault, but it is their perceptions of the mattress and the way they think it changes.
I'm sure mattress manufacturers SAY that ... they want you to buy a new one, right? Our mattress cost almost $2,000.00 and at that price this baby is for life, not ten years!

I was wondering about the sleep number bed but of course there is no way I could afford to buy a new mattress . . . sigh! Unless we win the lottery or something BUT .... does anyone actually have one and could tell me what they think?

What about mattress toppers? Has anyone found one that helps? Our generic memory foam topper did help at first but now I find it really painful to sleep in bed and I really do need to return to my bed.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

My mattress was killing me last summer and I knew I couldn't replace it. I got a feather bed topper and it seems to have worked out pretty well. I'd still like to have a new mattress but this works pretty well. I get times when I can't stand for my body to touch the mattress at all so at those times nothng helps. Those foamie toppers eventually just get flat. I've tried them already. A sleep number would probably be perfect but since none of us seem to be lottery numbers...invest in something a little less pricey.
Take care,
Sharon

Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I sleep on a water bed. It looks like a conventional bed and used regular sheets and such. It has tubes in that can be filled as much or as little as one likes. My wonderful hubby has filled the tubes a number of times to get it right for me. It is one place I can be that I feel no pain.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Hi, My husband I bought a memory foam mattress about 4 months ago, it is great! The big thing is though we bought it from from Canadian tire. It was in a box about 4 feet by 2 feet.(queen size). We only paid $300 for it. It is the best mattress we ever had.
Jacqueline

Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I love my Tempurpedic mattress. They are exspensive ,but last a long time ,and a good nights sleep makes it worth every penny. Before , I tossed and turned all night due to pain,especially in my hips.. Now ,I can't wait to go to bed

It did take a few days to break it in. At first it seemed really firm,but now I just sink into it. The best money I've ever spent.

good luck....Kate

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

This is what i have and i would not be without either one.
Like sleeping on a cloud, this works best for me with Fibro.

Northern Nights Uncrushable 4" gusset featherbed topper
and
Comfort U total body pillow

BeHappy2

Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
This is what i have and i would not be without either one.
Like sleeping on a cloud, this works best for me with Fibro.

Northern Nights Uncrushable 4" gusset featherbed topper
and
Comfort U total body pillow

BeHappy2
I have one of those two BeHappy2. Aren't they great??
sharon

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrobugsme View Post
I have one of those two BeHappy2. Aren't they great??
sharon
Most definately YES they are Great.

Money well spent for these. I highly recommend anyone with Fibro to give these a try. I tried so many different beddings in the past and finally found what does comfort me sleeping.

Good to know you feel the same Sharon, I'd never sleep without them.

BeHappy2

Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
(female)

gknee HB User

Has anyone tried the Cuddle Ewe mattress topper. They say it works great for FM. I have read some post of FMers that love it.

http:// * removed *

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-04-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Please don't post links and instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

I use to have a memory foam pillow as well, I switched to a buck wheat filled one. This is a great pillow, you can form it to your head and neck.
Jacqueline

Closed Thread