It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

gknee HB User
Help, I'm losing my balance

I suffer from FM/CFS and I have been having a lot of trouble with my balance. I have almost fallen 5 times in the last two weeks. I am toppling over when I am just standing still and losing my balance while walking up a small flight of stairs. One time the handrail stopped me from a nasty fall down a large flight of stairs.

Today I did fall. I landed on all fours. I have a sore hands and knees. I also scraped up my left knee and I am developing a huge size bruise. I am sore but okay.

I understand this can be a problem with many people. I feel so bad because of the tired and sore muscles in addition to the overwhelming fatigue are impairing my normal walking. What do I do? I worried I will really hurt myself.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Help, I'm losing my balance

learn to let go and just fall. instead of fighting it, relax. i fall all the time. and i do it beautifully, now. i have been landing on my face for 13 years. so far never broke a bone. just a few bruises and scrapes. fibro loves my legs.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakelady View Post
learn to let go and just fall. instead of fighting it, relax. i fall all the time. and i do it beautifully, now. i have been landing on my face for 13 years. so far never broke a bone. just a few bruises and scrapes. fibro loves my legs.
peace,
bluelakelady
Blue i wonder if its Fibro loves the feet or legs. Darn, i just had a dandy of a fall Friday and so very sore. i'm lucky nothing broke.

Had to chuckle on your learn to let go and just fall.
I had a long hard Fall !! i see 2 docs this week, this will be a dandy going to my appointments with scrapes, bruises and soooo sore.

BeHappy2

Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

BeHappy I lose my balance a fair amount too. It is not a clumsy loss of balance i can be standing and tend to fall and I can't break my fall without making it worse. I don't know if you take Gabapentin? I figure my balance has become worse since I was put on it. Coinsidence?-maybe

Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

whitetigress53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrena View Post
BeHappy I lose my balance a fair amount too. It is not a clumsy loss of balance i can be standing and tend to fall and I can't break my fall without making it worse. I don't know if you take Gabapentin? I figure my balance has become worse since I was put on it. Coinsidence?-maybe
Maybe not a coincidence...Gabapentin makes my balance all screwy too.

And why is it that fibro loves our legs so much? My fiancee threatens he's going to get me a walker....and I'm only 28. LOL

Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

No i don't take gabapentin so that rules that out for me.
Since 2 of you here do, maybe there is a connection with the gabapentin.

i don't know why fibro loves our legs so much but darn i'm worried i'm going to break something. It's just happening too often.

i do have doc appts. this week , maybe one of them have some answers for me.

BeHappy2

Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
(female)

33 and Tired HB User

Goodness! I fall - or start to fall - for no good reason, ALL the time. ESPECIALLY on stairs!!! My hubby is sweet about standing in front of me when we are walking down stairs, to catch my fall...... haha. Gotta love Fibro.... Not really!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gknee, Do you take gabapentin? Wondering if there is a connection of losing balance with gabapentin.

ebrena & Whitetigress53 are taking gabapentin and have tendency of falling.

today my rheumatologist prescribed gabapentin for me this is generic for the Neurotin. i definately don't need more falling if gabapentin may have losing your balance effects.

BeHappy2

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

When I first began with Gabapentin I rolled out of bed and onto the floor with a thud for nights on end. I think I was so knocked out. My husband suggested he get me a bed rail-not yet your not!! I did hurt myself pretty good too and it would be dark and I was fumbling around in the dark trying to grasp a light so I could see where I was and what side of the bed I was on. Strange!! I am also very clutsey while on this med, I walk like a drunken sailor sometimes-I haven't fallen out of bed for a quite a while-whew! I went to stand on a stool the other day to take a curtain down and I lost my balance and knocked down a bunch of computer stuff off my desk, it's like I try to break my fall but I have no control and just crash. It is somewhat scary, I no longer get on the stool on our sundeck to reach for the hummingbird feeder I am afraid I just roll right over the railing and become impailed with something below, it's at least a 15 foot drop!

Last edited by ebrena; 06-10-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I took neurontin 600 mg for burning skin sensation. It worked, I couldn't drive though. I don't remember getting dizzy, i was just so thrilled that my skin stopped burning.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ebrena, i was reading about the side effects and all you are describing are listed. Wondering if you feel much relief with the gabapentin?

My goodness , be careful and put night lights with timers or the ones that automatically come on at night. i have them in everyroom, it's a must for me and i think for you too. lol

BeHappy2

Old 06-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrena View Post
I'd be looking at Gabapentin, as it hits the brain's receptor sites that make you sleepy. This is true with all benzos. I recently started feeling dizzy & off balance, so am going to try something that doesn't give me those size effects.

I'm taking Dalmane, which is known to make you dizzy. Just think it's become too strong for me, and it hits the GABA receptor sites. I've tried taking plain GABA & it knocked me out.

I've only fallen 1x but it was enough to scare me & the pain was unbearable. I don't go near "stairs"; don't drive; and very careful where I walked (but I'm also 67 yrs so time to watch these meds).

The only bad falls I've had were off horses; no more riding til I stabilize.

It's the drugs we all have to take!!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
(female)

LindaM11 HB User

Hi, I'm totally new on here, but your off balance comment caught my eye. I've got Fibro, etc. I just would like to mention, has your doctor ever given you a Tilt-table test and checked you for neuro mediated syncope? It's common with fibro, and the EBV, and all that. I've got it. I'm quite off balance, and there's lots more symptoms I have because of it. LindaM11

Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM11 View Post
Hi, I'm totally new on here, but your off balance comment caught my eye. I've got Fibro, etc. I just would like to mention, has your doctor ever given you a Tilt-table test and checked you for neuro mediated syncope? It's common with fibro, and the EBV, and all that. I've got it. I'm quite off balance, and there's lots more symptoms I have because of it. LindaM11
Interesting Linda...............how do they treat it?

carole

Old 06-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
(female)

LindaM11 HB User

There are things you can do (if you have neuro-mediated syncope) to feel better without meds, like wear tight compression stockings to help with pooling of blood, and water and salt increasing. I wouldn't suggest to do this, unless you were sure you have it.

If it's meds messing you up, I'd just assume that's your problem. I'm dizzy without meds, my blood pressure drops, can't seem to regulate like a normal person. And there are medications that treat the neuro-mediated syncope, but not suggested for me to take at this time because of their side effects. Eventually I may try them. Regards, LindaM

Closed Thread