It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

melissad29 HB User
so frusterated

I am a newly diagnosed Fibromyalgia patient. I am frusterated with now neglignet and dismissive my rheumy was. he put me on Cymbalta 60mg but gave me nothing for a quick relief. He also insinuated that i am depressed. I love my life and the only reason I am down is because I feel so bad. I just feel so desperate now. I want relief and pretty much all I got out of this is feeling worse. To boot my doctor thought that I had RA and this doctor didn't even look at the joints that cause me problems! I am just disappointed and i really do not know much about Fibro and i would love to know what I can do to relieve some of these symptoms and if the Cymbalta helped anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User
Re: so frusterated

Hi, sorry to hear of your troubles. I defiantly understand. I take Tylenol 4 ( 325 mg Tylenol, 60 mg codeine) and 600 mg ibuprofen. I found out that if I do not take the ibuprofen I hurt very bad. I was surprised on how well it worked. You can buy it over the counter. I am lost with out it. It helps with inflammation. I can not take the stronger Nsaids. Hope you feel better and find a better Rhuemy.
Jacqueline

Last edited by JacquelineH; 05-23-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User

I'm sorry your felling so bad, I have taken cymbalta, I did get some pain relief but the other side effects were too much and I have discontinued taking it. I took lyrica for alittle over an year and thought it was a miracle at first but I kept having to up the dose and got to the max and it just wasn't doing anything for me anymore. Good luck, give the rheumy a chance, but when you've had enough, find someone else. I would feel misused and just stop going to the doctor, turned out to be a bad idea, if I had it to do over I would have stood up for myself years ago and maybe I would have had more "good" time instead of doubting myself and suffering. Take care and hang in there.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

diva425 HB User

Just a caution...cymbalta did not help me and is extremely addictive. I had an AWFUL time getting off of it. My mother had similar difficulties (she has fibro also). It is very popular to prescribe because it's an antidepressant that helps a bit with pain. Since most of our docs feel we're all depressed it's one of the more popular meds on the market. Be very careful. I was on it for about 2 years and when I lost my insurance and couldn't afford it I literally went through an excruciating withdrawal. I have found a substitue that's worked for me is 'Dr. Peter Gilliam's Calm' It is simply calcium and magnesium that you mix with water. It helps ease muscle pain and make you a bit more comfortable. Look it up on google. It works for me and I know I can use it without any side affects.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Unfortunately, your story is similar to many newly diagnosed. I, personally, say run from any doctor that thinks it's depression. Yes, people do have depression. I've told my doctor- 'Yea I'm depressed. Because of the fibro.' Who wouldn't be depressed having a hard time getting out of bed? The last few days my hands have felt arthritic and I'm in my 30's. That's depressing!

I see a naturopath because 1) they tend to believe in fibro 2) they look at the body and mind 3) good nutrition and supplements DO help fibro IMO 4) I am taking a non-Rx approach (this is after many years of Rx)

Def. check Vit. D, calcium, magnesium, B-12.

Take notes, read up on fibro, and don't take any BS from doctors!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

jocomom2 HB User

I was diagnosed with fibro in February of 2005. Lack of sleep was my initial problem. I started out taking 150 mg of trazadone nightly along with 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. It took about 2-3 days before I started sleeping. After being on this medication for 3 weeks, the "fog" began to lift. I felt a heaviness over me that I just couldn't pull myself out of. I definitely felt depressed (anyone who hasn't slept for more than 15-20 minutes at any one time would be depressed). After 4-6 weeks, I felt normal again. I now take 50-100 mg of trazadone nightly. If I've had a very busy day, go go go, it will take 100 mg for me to "turn off" my brain and wind down to sleep. I did not want to take a "depression" medication at first. Now, I wouldn't give it up. It takes about 300 mg to get the antidepression effect from the meds. 50-100 mg nightly, takes the "edge" off, reduces anxiety, helps me sleep (DREAM!!), and reduces chronic pain. Most days, I forget that I have fibro. I eat well, exercise vigorously (4x week), drink water, and take my meds! Ask your doctor about Trazadone. It's not habit forming and it's safe!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
(female)

jisduit HB User

Cymbalta was one of the first meds the doc put me on - all I can say is PSSSSSSSTTTTT - I couldnt function on it and it did nothing for the pain. I have a great Rhummy now - and on different meds - yes I take an antidepresent - but its mainly to help with sleep and appetite - and it works - called Remeron - my Rhummy had me talk to my psy. about it.

I wish you luck in your journey - oh by the way my PC first daignoised me with RA but the blood test was negative

You will one day find an awesome doc !

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Some great ideas here. I too could not sleep, but I take ambien and it works great for me. I also exercise which helps with the pain and eating healthy and staying away from sugar is a big one for me also. Drinking lots of water and doing bluelakeladys breathing exercises is a help also. The one thing I want to recommend also is to make sure you have your thyroid tested and have it within a range that works for you. I always like to recommend that because I have more pain, in my joints and muscles when my thyroid gets hypo and off the track.

Glojer

Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I have a very understanding rheumy. i got sick in 2004. at onset, i went through hell. He gives me tramadol that i take prn and flexeril to help me sleep at night. I also see a magnificent pain mgmt doc for trigger point injections for chronic myofascial pain. these are different than tender points. My pcp also knows all about fibro and prescribed me percocet for the first few weeks until i could get in to see my rheumy. both of these meds can be addictive.

I was extremely depressedat onset. this is a central nervous system disorder. includes the brain, can include depression. I wept constantly for about a week. I couldn't get out of bed. and i was already on wellbutrin. when dx'ed had to quit working. i had always worked and that really freaked me out. my husband said i wasn't the same woman he married.

I was bedridden for a few weeks because the pain was so bad. and yep i was depressed. but it lifted some as i received proper care. I am so grateful to all my docs and physical therapists, chiropractors, but especially my pain managemen doc who gives me injections. there is no way i would be doing so great now with out her.

If you don't know what a trigger point is or what chronic myofascial pain is, get the book "fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain" by devin starlanyl. she is used to be an md and she has fms and cmp. this book helped me so much!! i thought i was losing it... until i read this book.

if you are in pain and you aren't being treated, you need to find a different doctor. rheumy's on the average treat more people with fibro than with rheumatoid arthritis, so you should be able to find an excellent physician.

alot of people that think they understand us think that since cymbalta and lyrica came out, that all our symptoms are relieved. but i couldn't tolerate either one.

right now, i am symptom free except I do have to have trigger points injected every few weeks. and my feet are with plantar fasciitis, but my pain mgmt doc said she could treat it.

i don't know if i am on the same page as you. but i hoped i helped some anyway. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

rosebuddy, just a quick suggestion about your plantar faciitis. If you can't get it under control with conventional methods, have a podiatrist do the Ossotron surgery on you. They do put you under for it, but it uses shock waves to break up the scar tissue, no cutting on your foot. I finally had to have that done and I have been good for years now.

Glojer

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
(female)

tinabean34 HB User

Oh mh gosh so many of your stories sound like mine. They say you are just depressed, I am depressed cause I am in pain!! I want to function! I want to live! New diagnosis of any chronic ailment is very depressing. Try some of the meds the others have suggested and vitamins they do help. If you aren't getting the relief you need fight for it! I did.

Good luck! It will get better, either that or try to focus on what is positive in your life.

Closed Thread