It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Savella

Anyone tried this yet for Fibromyalgia? I heard it's fairly new. I just started it today but I'm worried cause it's an antidepressant even if not used as an antidepressant, antidepressants make me worse with muscle tension. And how in the world does a pill like this help anyways when all it is doing is messing with the chemicals in your brain that affect your mood? It's to me like saying, well it's all in your head.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Savella

This medication is worse than being dog drunk. The start with I felt depressed (and I haven't felt that way for a long time) and then it was like I was high or something. Don't know, cause I don't get high, but it made me act like a complete idiot, okay so I'm laughing like I'm drunk........ I also took my migrane pill. Now I'm so tired I can't stand it....

What's up with this antidepressant? I don't see goofy listed as a side effect. It's hard to say I don't like it, so in a way I don't, in a way, how could I not. I've always liked drinking so this is a hundred times worse & more fun.

Yikes I don't like the sound of what I just said.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think these side effects are 80% wearing off, I'm not so tired. Still feel like I'm kind of drunk. It's weird. Maybe it's something I just need to get used to taking. I think the relaxation made me act like a goof. Well whatever, I have to say I've never had a pill uplift my mood like this did tonite. I had more fun tonite than I've had in months.

Actually, I don't think this reaction occured until I took the migrane pill. So I really don't know if the antidepressant uplifted my mood cause I was feeling pretty lousy prior to taking that migrane pill.

It hasn't helped my fibro pain any whatsover. Well I got this problem in my back. Doctor told me today it sounds like an issue with my mattress but I switched beds and that didn't help. If there is muscle strain there, can it get better without a muscle relaxant? It's been going on for months & I really don't know how to get rid of the problem. Maybe he thinks it's fibro pain, otherwise I don't know why he didn't offer to treat the problem with a muscle relaxant. He didn't even check it, not that I wanted an xray but there's a sore burning area by my spine that won't go away, shouldn't he had at least done a physical exam? Doctors. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

One more post and I'm going to sleep. Just found the side effects online to Cephadyn, my new migrane pill. Feeling of intoxication. Can't say I'm surprised it wasn't the antidepressant that didn't put me in that mood. They need to prescribe Cephadyn for depression. There's no way you could get in a bad mood on that stuff like ever.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

I am on Sevella. Day 15. In the begining it made me loopy I felt out of it Your body does adjust. Last week I was in a real bad flare, so the med hasn't realy done anything quite yet, but have to give it time. I was hoping for a miricle drug, but thats not reality,,lets see what happens.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
I am on Sevella. Day 15. In the begining it made me loopy I felt out of it Your body does adjust. Last week I was in a real bad flare, so the med hasn't realy done anything quite yet, but have to give it time. I was hoping for a miricle drug, but thats not reality,,lets see what happens.
I'm not more tired but I'm hurting worse since I took it this morning. And my mood, I don't even know how to describe. Blablabla I guess.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
I am getting so tired, and I know I'm tired already, but this is pretty extreme. How long did it take for you to adjust to this medication to where it didn't make you feel out of it, if that is what loopy means.

I'm about ready to just say to ____ ___ ____ with it.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I am on Cymbalta and Lyrica which are similar. They must work through the neurotransmitters in the brain for them to help. I was tired, dizzy, loopy in the beginning, but after about 6 weeks, I really began to see a huge reduction in pain. I would give it more time before abandoning it.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyann View Post
I am on Cymbalta and Lyrica which are similar. They must work through the neurotransmitters in the brain for them to help. I was tired, dizzy, loopy in the beginning, but after about 6 weeks, I really began to see a huge reduction in pain. I would give it more time before abandoning it.
Lyrica affects chemicals in the brain that send pain signals across the nervous system. It's not quite the same as an antidepressant. But 6 weeks, really? My doctor put me on a trial pack I take for 2 weeks and if at the end of the 2 weeks, it's unhelpful, then I quit taking it. However am not fond of the idea to quit taking this abruptly. Yea I will probably finish taking it, I was just frustrated earlier cause I got so tired after I took it.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
(female)

vlh123 HB User

I am new here & came looking for anyone experiencing side effetcs from Savella. Today would be my 7th day, except I didn't take it. The first 3 days were pretty good: I actually felt very alert, less achey, got out of bed faster due to less pain, also seemed like I slept more soundly with less tossing & turning. However, I did have: profound nausea and weakness about 1 hr after taking the night pills & serious sweats from the start. Not having received the full disclosure paper usually rec'd with samples, I didn't know until these boards that those were side efftects! I also had been running a fever with some sweats for a cpl days before starting, so thought it was that. The sweats (& feeling VERY overheated) have gotten so bad I can hardly bare it, then I get the shivers (sp?) sometimes. BUT, my sister thought to check my heart rate due to the overheating and sure enough, it was 120. It has been anywhere from 94-126! We discovered this after the first dose of 25mg (day 4, AM dose). So, I didn't take any that night and went back to 12.5mg the next AM. After 4 days of feeling great in terms of brain being highly alert & body MUCH less achey - I crashed on day 5 & I've felt like a dishrag ever since! Because I felt so bad that day, but not wanting to stop cold turkey -I took only half of the 12.5mg left. Called my Doc on 6th day & told him about the heart rates. He said to do 12.5 PER DAY, and I'm seeing him tomorrow.

My family has a history of fast heart rate issues, so I don't want to mess with this. Has anyone read how long before the symptoms go away? I'm inclined to stop it and get to a heart dr. for a long overdue check-up before considering using the 12.5mg per day...Any thoughts??

I have been sick for a long time and have settled on a list of meds I take, but nothing that sorta 'woke me up' like this seemed to (except Provigil which isn't terribly long lasting & used only when I need extra alertness). I have been taking Celxa for several years now & it keeps me on 'an even keel', but hasn't helped with any FM symptoms. (stopped it to take Savella & am still having a withdrawal symptom)

Sorry to write so much. Though I'm looking for advice and anyone else who had a heart rate issue & what they did - I am also looking to inform others to pay attention to your heart rate when you try this med. I haven't been able to find very much info on Savella, yet - can never seem to get on their website, either. Thanks!

Last edited by vlh123; 06-02-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: clarified & added info

Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had severe upper middle abdominal pain last night & nausea from this medication. If it was still persistant today, there's no way I'd take anymore. But yea, I've had the fast heart rate since I took it also, + a pounding heart rate & it went to skipping. So it just happened once, but the fast heart rate is listed as a side effect. Some medications are just really bad about causing side effects. I don't know if all of them will even go away, unless you just stop the medication. I had some antidepressants before that really kept me dog sick long term.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
(female)

applecollector HB User

OK, now not too sure I want to try this new med---as I sleep all the time now and my heart rate normal is over 100.

However that migraine med sounds like fun---I sure could use something to pick me up---been thinking of going back on diet drug 1. to loose 20 lbs and 2 for the energy. I have taken it many times even with meds I am on and no problems it has been several years now. However I probably won't yet--going to give weight watchers another try.

But I was hoping for better news on the Savella---I just started on clexa last month still have not seen much results from it.

Anti-depressants work with the neurotransmitters for depression, those are also part of what sense pain that is why most AD's help with pain. especially the older ones. but most cause weight gain and I refuse to take. I will just stay in pain.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually from researching this medication, it says it's supposed to help your energy level, so that, I can't wait to see, if it works.

I have been pretty tired taking it but I am just on day 3. I took a walk today after taking my morning dose and it didn't seem to bother me like before.

You might want to ask other people how it's working for them, because I haven't been on it too long.

And it better not make me gain weight. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi all...ok I am still on the Savella....I see some people have hart race issues on this med. As Apple said I too have a fast hart beat to begin with, but have not had any issues with the hart racing on this med. I have had my blood pressure checked a few times and it has been high. 141/104 !!! Just hoping it was a bad day.

I see someone else dealing with sweats..yeah me too !! I am in surgical meno and they changed my Estrogen a couple months ago so didn't know if that was the issue, but I do belive the Savella has something to do with it.

I am Chronic Fatueging . I couldnt get out of bed this morning. Some aches and pains. So, no real major change yet. I had a bad flare last week aqnd wonderingf if I am building up again.
But, I have not even been on the med for a month yet. Everyone must at least try unless you are getting any severe side effwects.

FELL BETTER...HUGS

Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I read somewhere online this is supposed to help IBS. I think the medication has given me acute gastritis and it is making my intestines hurt.

The fatigue has been so bad this evening, I could have just shot myself.

I am having a sharp pain shooting in my right side, don't know what the snot that is.

The muscle tension in my face gets worse after I take this pill. Back pain gets worse. Let's not forget the neck pain. It's starting to feel kind of stiff.

I can't see how something that could make you feel this bad could turn around and change for the better and help. I am sick enough as is. I don't need this.

Today was day 3 for me, and the last. I quit.

Last edited by neveragain444; 06-03-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Closed Thread