It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Celebs with Fibro?

are there any celebs that have Fibro? I want SO bad to get more people involved that can help. There are a lot of other charities. I feel if we can get more people aware there maybe a cure someday. I just feel the need to post about this so that people will be aware.

There are so many people in pain everyday. I hear people are in wheel chairs. Or have no strength in their hands.

I must have mild or a moderate case of Fibro. I just ache everyday and am in pain everyday. I have strength in my hands.

My heart just goes out to people that are worse of. And I want to do something about it. I know I'm only one person.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Re: Celebs with Fibro?

I've wondered the same. I figure there are celebs that have it but don't say anything. Michael J. Fox had Parkinsons for a long time (10 years?) before saying anything, and that was probably because he was showing symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I wrote letters to Dr Phil, Oprah and I forget who else now a while back and never got any response. I was hoping just for a mention of fibromyalgia on a show, but no takers. I too feel if we had a spokesperson, there might be some increase in public awareness and then maybe some research funds. I totally agree that we need a famous face to speak up for us all.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyfm View Post
I wrote letters to Dr Phil, Oprah and I forget who else now a while back and never got any response. I was hoping just for a mention of fibromyalgia on a show, but no takers. I too feel if we had a spokesperson, there might be some increase in public awareness and then maybe some research funds. I totally agree that we need a famous face to speak up for us all.
Yea if we had someone famous like a spokesperson to speak out about this more people would get involved. But who. I'm surprised you got no response from Oprah.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
(female)

applecollector HB User

I read on another site Oprah would not do it unless there was a celeb that had it. don't guess they ever researched it.

It helps now that they are at least doing commercials on TV about it.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Did anyone see the new summer TV series Royal Pains? They mentioned fibro and talked about the symptoms. Yes it was only a few seconds of air time, but it was the best description of fibro in a script I have heard yet.

Last edited by Glojer; 06-05-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
(female)

Snowbird HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyfm View Post
I also wrote to Dr. Phil about Fibro. I was asking if his experts could advise how a Fibro sufferer, one with CFS could loose weight when even lacing up their shoes to go for a walk was too much effort and too overwhelming.

I also never got a reply. Perhaps I should have clicked the YES button when it asked if I was willing to appear on the show. I'm not but perhaps that would have sent my letter to the READ file instead of the GARBAGE file?

Last edited by Snowbird; 06-08-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
(female)

PAinMA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glojer View Post
Did anyone see the new summer TV series Royal Pains? They mentioned fibro and talked about the symptoms. Yes it was only a few seconds of air time, but it was the best description of fibro in a script I have heard yet.
I saw it! It did kind of bother me that of course, the character who supposedly ahs it has to be the hypochondriac girl (or was it web-ochondriac? He called it something like that, like she read about conditions online and thought she had them.)

I know the show wasn't saying that fibro is all in someone's head, I just wish a more mentally stable character could have it.

We'll see what happens. I also like that they have a PA (Physician Assistant) on the show. I'll have to wait and see if they portray her accurately according to the duties us PAs do or make her more or less the doctor's secretary, which would REALLY **** me off.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Yes it was the web ochondriac girl. What was nice is she listed the symptoms and I think the doc acknowledged they were real symptoms but then said she didn't have them. It is going to take the money, read that as pharmaceutical company money, paying someone or making it the disease of the month to get it on the talk shows etc. I know I am sound very cynical, can't help it.

Glojer

Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

After research, I found Susan Flannery, an actress on The Bold and Beautiful is reportedly suffering fronm Fibromyalgia. I have been unable to locate any info as to contact her. Maybe someone with time on their hands could locate and we could send a few letters.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The pharmaceutical companies have been talking it up, but I don't particularly like the way they've been doing so. They talk about their products as the one true cure of course, while for most people drug therapy is one among several components of effective treatment. They also sometimes trivialize FM, to make more people think that they have it and need treatment.

I've thought about "coming out" at work at some point, but not yet. Not until I'm more secure there. Maybe next year.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
(female)

33 and Tired HB User

Ya know... I have to say that I HATE how something (ANYTHING) doesn't matter unless you are famous! I desperately needed help putting together a fund raiser for my daughter several years back and a VERY well known charitable organization turned her cause down because they said she was "not high profile enough"

Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

33tired, I am sorry to hear that. I must say I am not surprised. Years ago when I was in the new home sales business, I sold a custom condo to a couple. He was the new fundraiser for a charity organization. The condo was a half million dollars, this was about 20 years ago. Yes 20 years and the charitable organization was paying him enough money to afford it, I think they were even paying for some of it since they had to come approve it. How sad.

Glojer

Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Sinead O'connor has fibromyalgia. she is a singer from ireland i think.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebuddy View Post
Sinead O'connor has fibromyalgia. she is a singer from ireland i think.
wow she is pretty famous. maybe we can send her letters.

Closed Thread