It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

PAinMA HB User
Itchy, painful bumps on palms of hands?

Hi all,

A couple of days ago, I started feeling like the palm side of my left thumb was really itchy. So I scratched. Well, that caused the thumb to feel like it was on fire! But ti still itched. I ran my finger over it and it was covered in tiny little raised bumps. Then it migrated to my second and middle finger on that side, and to two fingers on the other hand.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

I haven't used any new lotions, creams, soaps, laundry detergents, anything. In fact, I have barely left the house in the past few days because I'm battling strep throat and pyelonephritis (kidney infection).

Oh, one thing that's different is the antibiotic I'm taking for those. Could a sulfa allergy cause this? Hm...off to research that. But any insight would be appreciated!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Itchy, painful bumps on palms of hands?

Normally, allergic reactions to drugs taken by mouth result in full-body hives that leave the hands and feet alone.

Thing about a rash on the hands is that it's almost impossible to identify the cause, because hands touch everything. It could have even been a plant or something. Or, it could be something your body is normally fine with, that you reacted to just because you are sick and under stress.

Did you try rubbing some benadryl or hydrocortisone cream on them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
(male)

cbabin HB User

Sounds like eczema. I would get on a B-Complex and stay hydrated to normal levels. If that does not help in a month you might have to get a prescription strength med to control it. I had it when I was in college along with a few other issues like Diabetes, that all seemed to go away when I could sleep and eat like normal people and started getting paychecks instead of grades for my efforts. Stress seems to be the trigger for some and for others it could be common things like chromates, detergents, and fragrances.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

PAinMA HB User

Thanks! I still haven't figured it out, but I do think it is more of a contact dermatitis than a systemic allergy like sulfa.

It's definitely not eczema, though.

And yes, the HC cream is helping, so who knows. I'm sure I touched *something* at some point. Oh well, of all the things in the world, this is really not something to worry about, right?

Thanks for the replies!

Closed Thread