It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Hot Humidity and Fibro

Does the hot humidity seem to make you feel totally drained ?

i honestly don't know which is worse a cold winter or this hot humid summer.
i feel totally drained, exhausted from humidity outdoors. i stay indoors as much as possible with the air conditioner on .

i have no idea how any of you feel that live in the southern states that have high hot humidity. Anyone consider moving to another area because of the weather ? i think the mountains would be a great place to be.

I'm in the upper midwest smothered around corn fields and bean fields. Have seriously considered moving to a state with lower cost of living area but concerned my fibromyalgia would not deal with the higher humidity levels.

Anyone in southern states with high humidity, does the humidity cause more Fibro pain ? Very interested in TN. or Arkansas southern states that have a high humidity area but lower cost of living states.

BeHappy2

Old 06-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
(female)

New To CP HB User
Re: Hot Humidity and Fibro

Hi BeHappy,

I live in central TX and don't do well at ALL with the hot weather and the high humidity levels. Not only does it make me feel drained and totally exhausted, it makes me sweat, sweat, sweat, sweat... This is especially bad in my situation b/c I take long acting pain meds through a patch in my skin and when it gets so hot, the patch releases too much medicine.

I have definitely thought of moving somewhere else where it's not as hot (not too cold either) and with lower humidity.

If I were you, and you had the financial ability, I would travel down to one of the states that you are thinking about and stay for at least a week. Try to replicate as much of your daily routine as possible when you are there. (even if not the exact same just try to keep the same amt of activity and the same amt of outside time) and see how you do during that time. It may not be a certain answer, but it will at least help rule something out as well if you were miserable...

Wish you the best of luck!

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
(female)

sunny47 HB User

I live in south Florida and each year the heat affects me more - totally drains me out and yes I seem to ache more and can do less. Even taking my evening walk of 1+ miles is a total effort and usually cut short. Thank goodness for ac.

sunny 47

Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
Does the hot humidity seem to make you feel totally drained ?

i honestly don't know which is worse a cold winter or this hot humid summer.
i feel totally drained, exhausted from humidity outdoors. i stay indoors as much as possible with the air conditioner on .

i have no idea how any of you feel that live in the southern states that have high hot humidity. Anyone consider moving to another area because of the weather ? i think the mountains would be a great place to be.

I'm in the upper midwest smothered around corn fields and bean fields. Have seriously considered moving to a state with lower cost of living area but concerned my fibromyalgia would not deal with the higher humidity levels.

Anyone in southern states with high humidity, does the humidity cause more Fibro pain ? Very interested in TN. or Arkansas southern states that have a high humidity area but lower cost of living states.

BeHappy2
Hi, I think it is just the humidity. I live in the mountains in Alberta, I hurt and feel drained when it is humid. I thought I was going to feel so much better when the cold weather was over, wrong! I was so disappointed.
Jacqueline

Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i live in northern california. no humidity, warm to hot summer days and cool evenings. winters can get cold with an occasional dusting of snow. i think i live in a good spot for my health. i know too many people in the humid and/or hot states who have a hard time. same with the northern states that get buckets of snow. i have no idea how they do it. i think i am spoiled. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
(female)

PAinMA HB User

I never used to mind the heat, but lately, yes, it kills me. You are all right, it is the humidity that does it for me, because the wet winters kill me too.

It is wet and muggy here in Boston now (raining for about 10 days!) and my joints are screaming. I feel like I can't breathe, I have no energy.

But when I was in San Diego a few times, I felt GREAT! My husband and I are thinking of moving there because the weather agrees with me so much more.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
(female)

tinafibro214 HB User

I live in Missouri, so we have the cold winters and the humid summers. I actually feel better when it is cold, than hot. I lived in Arizona before this and I was miserable there even without humidity( they have the dry heat,lol).

I aim extremely achy, I cannot breathe, I sweat like crazy and just seem to be in alot more pain in the heat and humidity, if that is even possible.

Hope you find the right place, I think I would be happy in Alaska or maybe the Antartic..

Blessings to all!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
(female)

whitetigress53 HB User

HATE the humidity. Especially because I work in a climate controlled environment, it makes it that much worse when I have to step outside. I have a lot more aches, and they seem to be deeper.

I also sweat a lot more. My fiancee will be cool because it's humid and the temp dropped, and I'm sweating my butt off (too bad not actually). The cold bothers me, but the humidity kills me.

NW Pa sucks for humidity. Don't think about here. LOL

Old 06-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Wow these are very interesting responses, Blue it seems you are the most contint where you are in California. But from what i have searched that may be too expensive state for me to live in.

i know i could not handle the Texas heat and i have been to Missouri which is beautiful and lower cost of living but i can't handle missouri heat, hubby says missouri or arkansas is where we need to look into but i would be indoors 24/7.

I've never been out east Boston area but PainMA says joints are screaming so that explains that.

Many years ago i visited colorado springs area and i love the mountains areas
we went in July and there was no humidity at that time. i think maybe Pueblo area has lower cost of living too. i realize the economy is messed up everywhere but when living on a fixed income and having Fibromyalgia there comes a time when one may need to readjust locations due to health reasons and fixed income. Anyone have comments on Colorado?

Anyone in near Smokey mts, Tn area with Fibro ?

Once again i very much appreciate all your comments, very good replies here.
Anymore from anyone ?

BeHappy2

Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

I can deal better with winter cold than summer heat and humidity. Can't handle the sun and I just want to melt. I get physically sick...pass out...get heat stroke....not nice at all.
sharon

Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinafibro214 View Post
I live in Missouri, so we have the cold winters and the humid summers. I actually feel better when it is cold, than hot. I lived in Arizona before this and I was miserable there even without humidity( they have the dry heat,lol).

I aim extremely achy, I cannot breathe, I sweat like crazy and just seem to be in alot more pain in the heat and humidity, if that is even possible.

Hope you find the right place, I think I would be happy in Alaska or maybe the Antartic..

Blessings to all!
I am just across the missouri/illinois border and was so achey that i asked for additional pain meds from my pain mgmt doc. she said it was the humidity and to take ibuprophen. well she was right. I was in so much pain for about 4 days and so tired. Now i just stay in doors in the a/c and am doin ok. when i first got fibro, i couldn't stand a/c, it just made all my muscles tight and painful. i had to stay in a warm bedroom. 5 years later, I am doing so much better...I can take the occasional flare from humidity compared to that.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I have been feeling really good for two months, now I feel achy and completely drained. I was on here trying to figure out why. Now I know, SW Florida. For the past few days the heat index has been around 110 with 100% humidity.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I lived a few years in SW Florida and I felt horrible. I now live in central Alabama and the humidity is not as bad and the COL is much better. We do have humidity here in late summer but there is usually a breeze and lots of trees for shade (those palms just don't shade much) that makes it bearable and the utilities here are much more affordable as well as lower rental.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I live near the coast in SC and the humidity is unreal. Really rough on the fibro and arthritis. Of course it is nice in fall and early spring. Winter time is damp and colder so not fun either! My dad and step mom live near Asheville, NC and love the mid spring to early fall. Cooler air, not as humid in lower mountain areas. The winters would be tough with the snows, but at least they get about 1/2 a year of nice weather!
Mim Gregg

Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
(female)

woodstockkid HB User

I'm in Indiana and the summers here are KILLER for my fibro. Humidity makes my pain SO much worse, plus as someone else here mentioned it just drains me of energy. I also have RA and I'm not sure if this is more from the RA or the Fibro, but in humidity I start getting that "flu-ish" feeling, dizziness and achiness and extra pain in joints just like in a flare. I would give just about anything to relocate to the West Coast, and I also researched California and Colorado Springs because I've been to both places and felt much better while there, but sadly we probably can't afford California and now hubby's parent's are ailing (his dad is now in a nursing home and his mom isn't doing well on her own, both are 86) so basically we're kind of stuck here for the unforeseeable future.

Good luck to you - I hope you'll make it to a place that works for you!

Closed Thread