It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

monkeytoes HB User
just had appt with ssdi doc

well I was very nervous about this appt today...my bp was the highest it has ever been. The dr was very nice! I was surprised as another patient left the waiting area when asked if he would mind this doc instead of who he was scheduled to see....he said he didn't like his manners.... however he did make me cry once....when he asked me about my depression and how this is effecting my daughter....it was like he actually GOT IT!
In the end all he does is submit a report of the exam....he said he hopes it can help but fibro is a difficult one....now I just have to wait.....again!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

monkeytoes HB User
Re: just had appt with ssdi doc

does anyone know how long it is after this before a decision is made?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
(female)

woodstockkid HB User

I have a feeling this may vary by state. It took nearly a full month and a half after I saw the SSDI doc and psychiatrist (did they send you to both of those?) before I got my decision. It may be you only had to see the one doctor because I also have depression/anxiety and panic disorder that goes along with my fibro and RA? Or maybe that also varies by state. Who knows with these government agencies. :-)

I had to giggle when you mentioned your blood pressure being high, because mine has always run very low - all my life it has run low. But at my appointment the nurse took my pressure and she said, "Has anyone ever told you you're pre-hypertensive?" I looked at her (must have been that deer in the headlights look!) and said, "HUH?" lol

I know the waiting is tough but hang in there. Our fingers are crossed for you!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I was denied twice without ever seeing a SS doc. I finally got a hearing at the fed level with a live judge and was given immediate approval. It usually takes up to 60 days to hear back. You can contact SS and ask them about your case and what has been turned in and completed. In spite of the spinal chord damage, arthritis, and ddd, the judge really seemed sympathetic to the fibro! He asked me several questions that indicated he had seen a lot of people with it and seemed understanding! Wow! Good luck to you, keep on trying if you get denied. It is quite common to have to keep appealing until you get to come before a judge.
Mim Gregg

Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
(female)

monkeytoes HB User

I got a call this morning from the Disability reviewer....he said he got the report from their doc & asked me questions about depression as that doc noted it....the reviewer is going to consult with someone to see if i need to go see their pysch dr or if the reg doc last week was good enough.....so fingers crossed that i dont have to go again......I would love to just here "you've jumped through enough hoops...you're approved!!"

Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

woodstockkid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeytoes View Post
I got a call this morning from the Disability reviewer....he said he got the report from their doc & asked me questions about depression as that doc noted it....the reviewer is going to consult with someone to see if i need to go see their pysch dr or if the reg doc last week was good enough.....so fingers crossed that i dont have to go again......I would love to just here "you've jumped through enough hoops...you're approved!!"
Either way, it's good news that someone is actively reviewing your case and getting in touch with you personally! Geez, in Indiana I'm sure I would have gotten a letter and it would have taken a couple months to get that!

Sounds like they're on the right track with you - keeping my fingers crossed!!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
(female)

applecollector HB User

I seen I guess reg Dr---although mine went through on 20 plus years of depression---I was starting down the road of hunting MS and Fibro but I really had a good dr. he said he did not make a decision one way or the other, just fill in the blanks. however my counselor said they do.

I also had two of my children write letters and a very good friend (don't know if that made a difference--but it doesn't hurt.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
(female)

monkeytoes HB User

well, its been a week since the phone call so I called today to see if I would have to go see another doc.... I was told by a rep that its unlikely as my claim is in the "finalzation stage" and should mail by the end of the week. I asked if that meant I was denied, but was told she couldn't release that info over the phone....so I'm guessing I was denied. About 2 hours lateer the gentleman working on it left me a vm stating he could not send me the docs report but would send it to my doc so he can review it with me.....so waiting yet again!!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

It took 6 months from the time i applied for ssdi until i was approved by mail. No one ever called me about anything. I saw a psychologist. I cried during the appointment just because i was so stressed out. No one notified be by phone. I received some back pay too and my step daughter received benefits also even though she didn't live with me. I live in illinois. I was told that i would have another review in 3 years but it has been 5 and i still haven't heard anything. I tried to go back to work twice, but i just couldn't do it. during that time i received my ssdi benefits. also i had 8 years of psychiatric notes and 4 months of fibro notes from 2 or 3 doctors.

I stressed a whole lot waiting for the decision and kept throwing myself into pain and fibrofog flares. It's hard to do but try to let it go until you are notified. the worst thing that can happen is that you will be denied and you can appeal. Try not to worry or obsess over it.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
(female)

monkeytoes HB User

got my DENIAL Friday in the mail....................

Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I am sooo sorry! Honey, immediately reapply. I was denied twice and finally got a ALJ hearing before a judge. He had reviewed my file and I was finally awarded disability on the spot. I applied June 06 and got the approval February 09. I know it is devastating, but don't give up! My judge was angry I had not been awarded immediately as they had the same information he had. It seems they try to discourage us in the hopes we will not pursue it. I had to pursue it as I am a single mom and had not worked since Oct 05. Hang in there and keep trying!
Mim Gregg

Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
(female)

emeadows HB Useremeadows HB User

I have recently started the process. I have heard how hard this could be. but, I am not going it alone. I have enlisted the help of a private company who prescreens you over the phone to determine if you are eligible to apply. they ONLY get paid if you win and they get paid directly from the government. They get 25% or $6000.00, which ever is less. It comes out of your reto award. Everything is done over the phone and mail.

I had to wait a week before they called to tell me they would represent me. The hold up is I am currently able to collect unemployment. I am also a single mom of two teenagers. I don't have a choice. I am unemployed because my Fibro interfered with my job so much. I was in all commissioned sales. Obviously my sales figures suffered.

I don't have the phone number near me, but if anyone wants the name of the company, it's Freedom Disability. Oh, did I mention, if you are denied, they don't get paid. I hope this may help.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
(female)

CougarBabe HB User

I wouldn't hire a law firm unless denied. Initially they can do no more than you can. Why let them take 25%? If you create a good dialog with your adjudicator, you can be updated along the way, and actively get the records if your drs. are not being timely in sending them in. It is really not a lot of work.

IF denied, then the lawyers get actively involved and THEN they earn their $$

Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstockkid View Post
I have a feeling this may vary by state. It took nearly a full month and a half after I saw the SSDI doc and psychiatrist (did they send you to both of those?) before I got my decision. It may be you only had to see the one doctor because I also have depression/anxiety and panic disorder that goes along with my fibro and RA? Or maybe that also varies by state. Who knows with these government agencies. :-)

I had to giggle when you mentioned your blood pressure being high, because mine has always run very low - all my life it has run low. But at my appointment the nurse took my pressure and she said, "Has anyone ever told you you're pre-hypertensive?" I looked at her (must have been that deer in the headlights look!) and said, "HUH?" lol

I know the waiting is tough but hang in there. Our fingers are crossed for you!

I have an appointment with a doctor on the 28th from The Division of Disability Determination Servicesa and I was told in the letter it would be an exam and blood studies. I've had just every type of blood test you can imagine in the last year all thru the facility where this doctor is going to meet me...why take more blood? I just had blood work done yesterday for that matter. I won't have any blood left!! I see a shrink 9-21 because I too have depression issues and anxiety and a little panic thrown in for good measure. Do they think that having this condition and losing the ability to do every single thing in life that gives you any pleasure at all isn't going to be depressing?? That and living with constant pain 24/7/365?? Oh yeah, I am just a little depressed. The shrink I can deal with...it's this doctor on the 28th that has me freaking out...oh yeah, did I mention I have big time ANXIETY?? All this isn't helping me. It's just stressing me out more. I hope I hear something favorable after these doctor's visits. The lawyer filed my claim on 12/22/08 and I've been waiting since then.
Take care,
Sharon

Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarBabe View Post
I wouldn't hire a law firm unless denied. Initially they can do no more than you can. Why let them take 25%? If you create a good dialog with your adjudicator, you can be updated along the way, and actively get the records if your drs. are not being timely in sending them in. It is really not a lot of work.

IF denied, then the lawyers get actively involved and THEN they earn their $$
I had a lawyer do all the filing for me because my fog is just too bad to go through all those papers and have them done in any reasonable amount of time. It was all too much for me. I had no choice but to get someone to handle it for me. I thought it was the best way to go and I'm not sorry I have them.
sharon

Closed Thread