It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
(female)

Beccaboo1970 HB User
Frustrated with weight gain & meds regimen & diet

I am T1 (actually LADA, now T1) , and have fibromyalgia & myofascia pain. I also have developed gastroparesis & nerve damage in my legs and hands from my diabetes. I'm on an insulin pump and taking meds that caused 13 to 15 pounds weight gain so far. I AM VERY FRUSTRATED TO SAY THE LEAST. I am so tired of the weight gain. The pain and fatique and side effects of the meds for fibro cause me to not want to take care of myself as I should. I give up. In the course of the day I take the following meds: Insulin (Apidra),Cymbalta, Lyrica, Savella, Tizanadine, Wellbutrin, Reglan, Ammox (both for gastroparesis) and usually 1 Tylenol PM. This list, of course, does not include my supplements that I take to try to be "healthier").

I guess eat the wrong things- with too many carbs- like my cereal. I just can't control my portions of it. I eat it to calm me- for peace- for sanity. I know I do. This is so very frustrating. I want to care enough about my health that I will want to feel better and look better - but I still make bad choices by buying seemingly healthful foods, but them choosing to consume them in unhealthy portions (as deamed by me, the diabetic). I have kids, that's what we MOM's do- we buy foods that make our kids seemingly "happy".

I have gone up 2-3 sizes within 8 months. I had to buy new jeans yesterday. Almost cried in the dressing room. Real tears. Very sad. The carbs are doing it, I swear. I'm really mad. Everyday is like freakin' "Ground Hog Day". I start over everyday saying this will be the day that I change my behaviors and be healthy and exercise, and journal, and eat 100% correct, and take all- and I mean ALL of my meds on time. It can be so overwhelming. Don't I sound Overwhelmed? It's exactly how I feel.

OKay. I 've vented. Maybe I can feel better now. Please respond if you feel like this at all. I need support. I need encouragment. I don't want to give up. I want my old body back and I want to be pain free too. Is that too much to ask? ( HA. God is really laughing at me now!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Frustated with weight gain & meds regimine & diet

I can understand why you are frustrated with weight gain, going up 2-3 sizes in 8 months is alot. This is very unhealthy especially with your diagnosis you have listed.

I'm wondering if you may need to discuss with your doctors if all these meds you are listing are doing more harm with weight gain or are you getting the full benefit of pain relief with these meds.

You may need to search all side effects of these meds individually and see which ones list weight gain as side effects and then discuss these meds again with your doctors.

Several of the meds you are listing put alot of weight on me and i was not getting the FM pain relief as they were prescribed. i've stopped certain meds cause i am having one heck of a time getting the weight gain off.

i realize not all meds effect everyone the same, each person reacts differently to medications.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

(((Gentle Hugs BeccaBoo)))...I didn't know that Lyrica and Savella could be taken together..go figure..THAT being said, I gained a ton of weight on Lyrica and the weight came on so fast it made my head spin ..

I'm now walking (Treadmill) about 2 miles a day and I HATE exercise (to tired and in pain but the weight gain is killin' my knees asnd ankles)

Please talk to your Doctor about your weight..hopefully he can come up with something to help you lose weight...

Take care sweetie...

~Belle~

Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

Boccaboo, you just described ME TO A T. I have gained 30 lb in the past year from taking Lyrica, Prednisone, and many others. I stopped all of them and only taking Savella now. I,m really considering stopping that too. I also have kids and eat all the junk I bring in for them. I started a low carb diet every day this week, but by noon I was so stressed that I grabbed for the cookies. I finally realized I can't diet until the kids are back in school, but I can make a little better choices.l
I know exactly how you feel. I hurt, I'm tiered and I'm FAT. Wow that really sounds depressing. However I am getting my mind and body prepared to make a change. I am going to start living healthy! No more drugs for me. I am researching what vitamins to take and am going to take up Yoga and try to improve things naturally (once the kids are back to school). You are not alone. Good Luck and good Health. Keep us informed on how you are doing and what changes you may make.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Belle i'm with you, i had no idea either that Lyrica and Savella be taken together. This is new to me. i know i could not handle both, Lyrica was not for me and i will not even try savella.

I hope Becca can decide what is and isn't working cause fast weight gain can be very much frustrating.
Wish the best Becca

BeHappy2

Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Sounds like things are tough for you - and when things are tough it's easy to get overwhelmed........we've all been there at one time in our lives and probably more than once. The easiest thing is to say I'll start again on Monday, or when the kids go back to school - and tomrrow never comes and meanwhile the pounds keep going on! How about focussing on small things at a time - maybe this week focus on having your daily 5 to 7 portions of fruit and veg ( I now aim for 10 and that way get at least 5!) then the next week add in exercising more, the following week smaller portions etc etc that way you are less likely to fail as you are not having to make so many changes - coz once we fail it's easy to throw in the towel and tell ourselves we'll start again next week. It's not that we've failed either it's that we didn't make the best choice (for whatever reason) we need to get over that, pick ourselves up tell ourselves we can and will do it and then make the wise choice next time. Also celebrate when you do make the wise choices rather than beating yourself up when you didn't!!

You can and will do it - keep focussing on your successes and you will get there.

I don't know anything about the medication you're taking - as others have mentioned always best to double/triple check with your Dr x

Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

Beccaboo1970 HB User
Re: Frustrated with weight gain & meds regimine & diet

YIPPEE! I am soooo excited. First and foremost, thank you all for responding. To find people out there who are dealing with the these exact same issues is an amazing relief for me.

Secondly. I made an appointment with my Internal Medicine MD last Friday and we had a pow-wow and review of all of my medications. This is the great part... I NOW AM GOING COMPLETELY OFF OF BOTH CYMBALTA AND LYRICA! The only pain meds I will (try) to be on will be 100 mg.daily of Savella and Tramadol, when needed. I will also increase my Tizanadine at night to help me rest my body and muscles. She also increased my Amatiza dosage for my gastroparesis and that should help with some of my continuous stomach discomfort.

I left that appointment feeling so relieved that I have a doctor who listens to me. I was already down to 30 mg of Cymbalta and so far I have not had any noticeable withdrawal. My last 50mg Lyrica dose was last night and now I will go cold turkey tonight.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. I should only have Insulin as my weight gain trouble-maker. I am motivated to start over again to lose this last 10-15 pounds. I was so determined to figure this out last week. I would have left the office in tears had my doctor not been so easily understanding and open to reveiwing my meds- one-by -one.

OKay... now. Let's see if the pain really does stay to a minimum. I am definately having myofascia pains in my abdomen, but I massage it and pray it for relief.

Oh, about Savella... Is everyone generally taking 100mg daily/ 50 mg,twice per day? Is anyone taking more than that? I'd love to know.

Woo Hoo. I may start to feel like my old self again- and who knows, maybe I'll be able to fit back into my ENTIRE freakin' wardrobe before Labor Day. Wish me luck! Keep in touch! BeccaBoo

Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I'm very happy you found a Dr. who you feel good about. I too am on Savella 100mg a day and tramodol as needed. However another post was VERY WORRIED when I said I was taking them together. Evidently she had a bad reaction to them and was told that you CAN NOT take tramodol with savella. I plan to discuss this with my Dr. at next appointment. I also have decided not to take savella at all anymore. Although it does help with the pain, I could not handle some of the other side effects ie. Sweating which I read on the savella web page could lead to seritonin syndome, and I also felt like I was on speed at times. My heart would race and my hands would shake uncontrollably (I already have essential tremors as it is). I'm not trying to discourage you. Savella works very well for some people and I hope you are one of them. Please just double check about the tramodol being taken with the savella. Also I suggest that you go back and read the posts about savella. Again it did work really well for me the first 2 wks. Good Luck I hope you found your answer.

Last edited by elle45; 07-27-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #9
(female)

Beccaboo1970 HB User

Hi friends, It's Beccaboo and I'm happy to say that I'm still feeling good. It's been almost a week now since I've felt so horrible that I was bedridden. I still wake up a little rough. I am now off Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Wellbutrin- 3 meds. I think that is just amazing. I am still on 100 mg of Savella, along with my Previfem (for hormones), Tramadol for occasional pain flairups, Reglan & Amitiza (m/sp) for my gastroparesis. Of course, I'll always be on Apidra/or Insulin for my Diabetes. Really this list may seem long to some, but gosh to me it's quiet tollerable since I've reduced it by 3.

I am still dealiing with my food issues. I am scared of my scale and may just toss the danged thing out of the window. The numbers affect my mood so badly and how I see myslef that I just know and have to keep telling myslef how unhealthy that view of myself is. I may have to have therapy now since my food, body, and health issues are all compromised and affected by my diet. I sometimes want to fast to have control of my diet again. I am truthfully scared of food. I can not control my fullness gage, even thoughI have a fullness health problem like gastroparesis. Now when I overeat I pay all night long. I really suffer. That cant be good for one's mental health.

Overall I am physically feeling better. This has improved my outlook on life on a daily basis. I am happier. I am trying to deal with life's stresses better, although I will agree with my husband that I do too many things at one time and overwhelm myslef. That is NOT healthy.

I see a new Endo. today and I hope that we discuss my deep-seated food issues. I need help nefore I develop more diabetes complications. I joke with my husband that I could "rock" one leg, but somehow he doesn't find this funny. I get it. It's not funny to have your limbs removed due to uncontrolled Diabetes. I really do get it. I just don't know what kind of kick in the arse it will take for me to really, I mean REALLY care for my health the way that I should.

Good luck all. Beccaboo

Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Frustrated with weight gain & meds regimen & diet

hey becca,
i am so glad you are off the meds you were taking. i just read this from start to here and my first thought was too many meds that contradict each other.
if you are waiting for some magic kick in the arse to get you on a healthy path i doubt it will happen. my mom and son are both diabetic. both very overweight. both very inactive. i respect their right to do as they please. hard to watch tho.
5 years ago i weighed 198. due to meds and lifestyle. now i weigh 122. i realized nothing was going to change unless i made it happen. no it was not easy. yes it hurt. however, now i hurt alot less all the time. you can do it. there is nothing special about me. just alot of attitude i finally put to work for me and not against me.
my sis eats for the same reasons you do. comfort zone. may i suggest some councelling? sis found the root of her eating disorder and it has helped her to overindulge less often.
belive in your own ability. it is there hiding under your fear.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
(female)

TrainerR77 HB User

Hi Beccaboo-
Have you thought of going to a registered dietician to discuss your food issues? You are seemingly focused on food and that is not always a good thing to do. Also, I would throw out my scale if the numbers bother you that much. Weight is just a number and we cant let that control us. Focus on how your clothes feel rather than a number. I know for me it boosts my confidence more to know that I can button my freshly washed/dried jeans without lying on the bed more than knowing I dropped X amount of pounds.

Another thing that was mentioned in this thread was that you have these "unhealthy" snacks in your house for your kids. After working in a program to help obese kids, I am well aware that they dont need these "treats" any more than we do. There are healthy options for kids to eat just as well as us. They dont need to have all of the corn syrupy things in the house either. I would focus on the whole family eating healthy and not just me....and then it may not seem as much of a sacrifice. There are plenty of treats that can be made with low carbs/calories that even your pickiest eaters will enjoy!!

Just a few thoughts. Keep up the positive thoughts!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Becca, Trainer has a great suggestion, get the whole family involved. I am sure your children would be all for it to help mom get healthy and not lose a leg or her life from her diabites. Don't know the ages of your children, but maybe you could get them to go walking with you and make it a family thing. That would help the weight also. I certainly understand having eating issues. I also use food when I am so busy and stressed and can't take care of myself like I would like because I am taking care of others. Of course the old expression goes, you take care of you first because if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of everyone else. One of these days maybe I will listen to that......giggle.

Glojer

Old 08-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
(female)

Beccaboo1970 HB User

Everyone has offered me very logical solutions to my issues. My husband and I have decided that it is time to seek some counseling and I am seeing a psychiatrist on Wednesday. I am greatful for your comments and advise. I think after 4 years of this rollercoatester I am finally ready to deal with my food issues once and for all. It's more than about food, way more, but that is my crutch that I use to deal with my life.

I know that I am a blessed and lucky person. I know that there are so many people out there if worse off situations than I am. I know I can overcome my issues that are holding me back if I can get and accept the right help.

Thank you all for your support. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Bec

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi bec,
i am so proud of you. may your mind be open and your therapist be a good one. if there is any way i can be of support you have only to speak it.
as you take your first step on this journey realize it may be long and convoluted, yet the peace and freedom at the end are worth the steps, the journey, the tears.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread