It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

PAinMA HB User
Do you know what triggered your fibro?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else had a clear "beginning" to their fibro, something that unleashed it, triggered it, or caused it.

Many things I read mention traumatic injuries, viral infections, and so on. So now I'm curious.

For me, I know exactly when it started. It was after I went through chemotherapy for colon cancer 8 years ago, although I'd had migraines and IBS before that.

What about you?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Re: Do you know what triggered your fibro?

I think for me anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

For me it was an extruded disc in my neck which needed surgery in April 08.I also found out a very good friend died the day after my surgery and I took that VERY HARD. I think I may have had minor symptoms before that, but never heard of fibro so thought it was just normal aches and pains. So I believe those two put together is what put me over the edge, into FULL BLOWN FIBRO!

Last edited by elle45; 08-01-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

MidnightDiva HB User

after I had a severe case of adult chicken pox.The doctor didn't diagnose me for 2 weeks. this caused me to have a bad staph infection.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
(female)

whitetigress53 HB User

A back injury with the added stress of a divorce.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I lost a husband to cancer and 3 years later had to have Cervical fusion and complications and stress of the surgery and life experiences I think was my downfall. I had always been in excellent health before that time. Stress is a killer!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
(female)

applecollector HB User

I think or rather a dr had told me many years before that I could have fibro, but I was on at the time some older AD's and I think that kept it at bay.

But in 02 when my husband was killed in a car accident----and many other things it started coming on.

My sister also has it---and was a teacher

Stress does make it much worse

Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

For me it was a car accident in Sept 07 - only a minor one as well. Prior to this I was in great health - fit and full of energy. Someone hit me from behind in a traffic jam on the motorway - I got whiplash in neck and lower back - then the pain seemed to move from one spot to another - my sports therapist couldn't understand how I'd see her on a Monday for a massage with crippling pain in one area and then I'd be booking in for another massage on the Friday for pain in another area - after a few months she suggested I go back to the Drs and ask to be referred to a consultant as it couldn't possibly be whiplash as I kept presenting with different problems every few days. Diagnosed in Jan 09. The rest is history...........

Last edited by thesweetlife; 08-03-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Incorrect date

Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
(female)

lallerb HB User

I'm not exactly sure how to tease out what exactly caused my fibro. I think I may have had it since I was a child. I had an autoimmune disease and severe allergies that I believe were caused by extreme emotional trauma and physical/sexual abuse in my family. I suffer from PTSD as a result of all the years of abuse. I've always had a lot of pain, and I've never had even close to the kind of energy that other people seemed to have.

Or it might have been caused by, or was exacerbated by a low back injury I had at work in '02. The pain and fatigue became very severe after that. Since then I've had tremendous amounts of stress. I've lost two people, a friend who ended his own life, and my "adoptive" mother. I also, unfortunately, reconnected - and disconnected with my abusive birth family after fifteen years. Oh, and I had spinal cord compression and fusion surgery at C4-C6 a couple of years ago. And...I'm pretty far along into menopause (I'm 48). And yet more...I lost my wonderful job from all of this, and have been going through the stress of applying for SSDI.

I understand any one of those things could cause the fibro. I forgot to mention multiple car accidents where I suffered whiplash. Who knows when or why I got it. I've only had the fibro diagnosis since last August, and I have to say it's been extremely illuminating. I hate having it, but it's a BIG relief to know what I'm dealing with. I used to think the fatigue was depression that just wouldn't respond to medication and counseling. I don't feel like such a mental defective now, and it explains all the weird, seemingly unrelated symptoms I have.

I'm really interested to see what other people have to say about what caused their fibro.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
(female)

TrainerR77 HB User

I am not really sure. I used to be pretty active...all through college I carried the max credits, worked with the sports team as a student athletic trainer (part of my degree program requirement), and bartended or waitressed 3-4 nights a week. Did the typical career/marriage thing....and then in the beginning of the summer of 2006 started having ALOT of neck pain and no precise trigger with that. It led to sleepless nights, which of course made everything worse. Woke one morning at the end of July unable to feel my fingers in both hands and tingling down my arms. Couldnt get out of bed without crying. Managed to get to work (at the time worked in Sports Health Phys Therapy) because I had all the things I needed at my disposal. Saw a doctor who got everything started....but it wasnt until this year that I was diagnosed...pretty much because I didnt want to hear the diagnosis so I wouldnt go to the doc....got divorced in 2008 which lessened some stress but created more and proceeded to not be able to sleep at night...so that is my story...no known etiology

Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
(male)

BobGuy HB User

Yes, I even know the date! Underwent shoulder surgery for torn rotator cuffs (both arms over a 6 month period). The pain I felt just after the ops never stopped. That was three years ago. My pain doc tells me that common triggers include traumatic experiences, both physical and/or emotional. In my case at least, he seems to be correct.

Bob

Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

Two level cervical fusion in January of 2007. Slipped and fell on the ice in January of 2008. I have never been the same. Dx'd in April of 2008. My husband is a minister and believe it or not, but our life is very stressful. I continued to work full time until the end of Sept 08, at which time I went in to a full blown flare, and haven't worked since.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
(female)

jisduit HB User

Started having problems after fusion surgery on my lower back in 2000 but just thought it was the fact I was getting older. In 2006, I gave birth at age 41 and the fatigue bacame much worse. In August 2008, I quit my job to care for my mom full time and thats when all hell broke loose and I finally saw a doctor. In October 2008, my mom passed, in April 2009, a close friend committed suicide, the next day my 23 year old son attempted, in Feb my 17 year old was charged with possession, in July, my now 3 year old had to have emergency surgery to have her appendix removed, a week later, my oldest son overdosed on herion (but survived) and then a week after that - just a week ago my only surviving sibling died of a heart attack - my pain has been totally unbearable this week - even on the pain meds. Stress and anxiety play a big role in how I feel.
Meds: Morphine, Ambien, Klonopin, Elavil, Omeprazole, Vit D

Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Mine was triggered by a ruptured breast implant. After removal I was much better as long as I stayed within my new limits. I was able to go back to work part-time, participate in alot of activities as long as I rested prior and after the event. I depended on spell check and kept gloves in the car for the reynaud flairs. Then 5 years ago my sister died in a drowning accident. My dad had a heart attack a few months later but survived. My mom had a stroke that started her path to dementia. My husband went through double hip replacements and was then diagnosed with hemolytic anemia, eventually having his spleen removed and putting him in remission for now. I then was injured at work thanks to a school nurse's stupidity and haven't worked since changing my financial situation and resulting in back surgery and wrist surgery. My best friend of 43 years died of pancreatic cancer. There are constant challenges with my parents.
Now the fibro is worse but I also have other issues going on. Unusual multiple brain calcifications and abnormal shrinkage for my age. Severe cramping (as posted on another thread) and all other kinds of weird stuff.
I will assume this has added to my increase of symptoms.Thankfully there are alot of good things in my life. I still have my parents and my husband. Our kids are healthy, we have our home and are blessed to have four little bratty, loving chihuahuas adopted from the pound.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

I was sitting at a red light probably the fifth car back when a lady going 45mph hit me. I suffered a concussion, sprain from the neck down. And my left knee cartilage was crack so I ended up having knee surgery

The lady who hit me walked a way with a scratch because her airbag deployed.

Closed Thread