It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
(female)

Jesse1948 HB User
Unhappy Diaphragm pain with Fibromyalgia and IBS

I have had IBS for about 7 years after a terrible bout with either the stomach flu or food poisoning. I was in the hospital over night. The Dr. didn't know if it was viral or bacterial. However, my stomach was never the same again. I developed post infectious IBS. Fast forward a few years and I developed Fibromyagia, thanks to the IBS, which I have had for about 5 years. My diaphragm seems to be greatly affected by both the Fibro. & IBS. It gets incredibly tight and spasms causing me serious discomfort, pain, and makes it hard for me to breathe. It's awful!!!!! Not being able to breathe kicks off anxiety and it's a viscious cycle. I used to go to a wonderful chiropracter who would do myofacial work and adjust everthing and work on my diaphragm to get it to stop spasming. It was very helpful but a very expensive band aid. I was going once or twice a week. I haven't been in a while. The economy is making it hard for me to afford it.

Just wondering if anybody else is dealing with this diaphragm pain?!!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: Diaphragm pain with Fibromyalgia and IBS

Hi Jesse1948,
As far as I am concerned any NEW Different pain is something that should be checked out, barr none. I've had IBS for many years (20) and there are times when spasms need medical aid. They will not go away without a relaxant of some sort. Have you ever had a colonoscopy? I had many surgeries back in the day and the scar tissue can really tangle up the bowel. Like I said get it checked out. You don't want to let it go to the point of some kind of invasive procedure. Also must consider Endoscopy for a possible Hiatle Hernia (sp) which is very painful and only gets worse. Don't take chances that can only set you back with your Fibro. It's just not worth it! Found that out the hard way. Did not want to miss work so let it go too far and wound up missing more work and almost losing house. Your health is most important...keep us all posted...we're on a Need To Know Basis Volly here...stay safe.
Cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

Jesse1948 HB User

Cat,

Thank you so much for the push to go back to the Dr.! I have an appt. with my Chiropracter today which will be a bandaid, but kind of puts me back together for the moment. Unfortunately, this is not a new pain...it's just getting worse :-( I have had an endoscopy and a CT scan which both came back fine. I have not done a colonoscopy. I do have a ripped muscle...the rectus abdominus (sp?) which is right where my diaphragm is so if my diaphragm spams, then it causes that muscle to spasm and it pinches my intestines too! I have stopped going to the doctors because they don't ever seem to be able to do much and I don't like medications! I already take Xanax because I have anxiety thanks to the IBS and I take Immodim everyday and if need be Lomotil and or a half of a Donnatol (sp?). Anyway, I am going to call my GI right now and make an appt. Thank you so much for the support!

Jesse1948

Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Jesse,
Glad to hear you have a GI appointment. Can't hurt...no punn intended! Keep us posted.
Cat

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
(female)

Jesse1948 HB User

Cat,

Will keep you posted! My appt. is tomorrow late afternoon. Love the pun by the way....LOL!!!

Jesse

Old 09-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
(female)

michmob HB User

I have fybromyalgia and IBS, I also suffer diaphram spasms, I take Buscopan when it gets really bad and it works for me, hope you get some relief soon, I too suffer panic attacks but my doctor won't give me xanax unfortunatly....do you find it really helpful.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

michmob HB User

I too have diaphram spasms and I take Buscopan for it which helps a lot when I have a bad bout of it......I also have IBS and fybromyalgia hope this helps........good luck with your appointment.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
(female)

Jesse1948 HB User

Hi Michmob,

Sorry to hear you have the same issues as me :-( No fun!!!! I just started Xifaxan again for the SIBO I have as well. It made me so sick I had to miss a trip to San Fran with my husband and son for a family function (that was yesterday). Today I am feeling better, thank GOD! My GI wants to do a colonoscopy to make sure I don't have Crohn's. Sometimes the IBS is so bad, painful and I feel so yucky, I have to do some more tests. I used to get the Xanax for my panic disorder from my Internal Med Dr. but by law after a period of time they have to refer you to a pyschiatrist for those kind of meds. Does Xanax help? YES! It is one of the only meds I can take that I don't have a bad reaction to. It is great for panic and helps my whole body relax. I have not heard of Buscopan. It help with your diaphragm? I am going to google it now! Hope you feel good this weekend!!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
(female)

mildgraphics HB User

omg! yes, yes, yes!!! last night i had a 2 hour diaphram muscle cramp that made me throw up! Felt like child birth! I have been trying to have my doctor diagnose me with the fibromyalgia, and wondered if this was yet another symptom...so glad to find someone who understands, my name is misty...thanks for your post!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildgraphics View Post
omg! yes, yes, yes!!! last night i had a 2 hour diaphram muscle cramp that made me throw up! Felt like child birth! I have been trying to have my doctor diagnose me with the fibromyalgia, and wondered if this was yet another symptom...so glad to find someone who understands, my name is misty...thanks for your post!
May i ask , why you are trying to have your doctor to diagnose you with Fibromyalgia ?

BeHappy2

Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
(female)

Jesse1948 HB User

Hi Misty,

So sorry to hear about your diaphragm spasm the other night!!!!!!!!!!! That's awful!!! I have been there done that I have a chiropractor I go to when it gets that bad. She does myofacial release and adjusts my neck, mid back (which is connected to the diaphragm) and mannually pulls my diaphragm out of my rib cage. So freakin annoying to deal with this and unless you have experienced it first hand you have no idea what it's like! I went outside of Kaiser to a world renown Rheumatologist to get the Fibromalgia diagnosis about 5 years ago. I have had a few trigger point injections at Kaiser in my neck but it didn't help much. I'm just frustrated with my body at this point!!!!!!!! I am 36, exercise (when I am not feeling like complete crap) eat healthy and am at my witts end! I agree it is nice to chat with someone going through the same stuff. I am married and have a son but this can make you feel very alone. Hope you are feeling better today!

Deva (that's my real name hee...hee :-)

Old 10-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
(female)

Cuppa HB User

Hi Jesse, I read with interest about your diaphragm pain. I often wake with tight painful abdominal muscles, in particular, the diaphragm is bad. It is difficult to massage too, but have found deep breathing and 'diaphragmatic breathing' as in yoga practice can ease most attacks. What I would like to know is how you found out that you have a ripped muscle in there? I suspect that I have had a rip in the past, in a very bad episode that I do not want a repeat of. What type of test revealed the rip, or have you just come to that conclusion?

Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
(female)

sono molto infe HB User

I have bouts of diaphragm pain, it usually happens if I do a deep yawn (on exhaling) and it actually feels as if I have torn my diaphragm.

It's very frightening when it happens, and it was only the fear that stopped my from allowing my husband to take me to the hospital emergency, as I did actually think I had torn it. It took a couple of weeks to fully recover, and has happened a few times since.

Hope you're feeling a bit better soon xXx

Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #14
(female)

home sweet home HB User

Hi, Jesse I also have IBS, lupus and Fibro, among alot of others. I have had IBS for years,thought I just had to live with it. I had acolonoscopy that came back ok.And the drs. didnt say we better try to look into something else.Much later my lupus dr. told me they can do something for that. So I went to see the GI dr. again.He found that I had infection or something like that I forgot exactly.Anyway he gave me two different meds. to take for two weeks and hyomax to take as needed and align.I still have it , but 50% less.Hr said that was the best he could prabably get it.But anything I would of taken.The one thing I dont like about is it hits me so fast the medicine dont have time to work for the cramping. Before the cramps would come first with some warning then the bm may come later.Now it hits fast and over fast, like half the time.But you still have all the other symptoms that goes with it ,like vomiting sweating,tenderness to the stomach before and after, fatique and flu-like feeling. I was so bad I take a spare pair of pants and handy wipes in the car. IBS just seems to go along with lupus and fibro, among others. home sweet home

Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
(female)

Jesse1948 HB User

Hi Home Sweet Home,

Thanks for sharing! I also had and infection and was put on meds (Xifaxin) and am now about to start the Align. Glad to hear that it helps. A little better is better than ni better..lol!!! Having all these annoying conditions together just sucks!!! Not that I want anyone else to suffer, but it's nice to know I am not alone!

Closed Thread