It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

tinkertot HB User
Just been told i have fibro....

I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with Fibro. Iv been in limboland for years, trying to get a diagnosis. All the usual, MS and so on. My GP just brushed the idea off, when I mentioned to her that someone suggested Fibro. We all have aches and pains from time to time she said. I was then reffered to a an Orthapedics guy as I was experiencing pain in my chest. He did an xray and that was found to be clear, great news. However he asked if this was the only pain I was having. I did not want to appear like a hypochondriac and stated this, but said I was having pain in alot of areas around my body. He asked me where in particular. I said my back was the worst, along with neck pain, knee pain, wrist pain etc etc. He did a full examination and asked more questions. I said i was suffering from headaches, like cluster headaches, I was on medication for depression, I couldn't sleep properly due to the pain and night sweats. If I did manage to get to sleep I would then wake up still extremly tired and feel like I have been hit by a bus. I explained I get dizzy and the tiredness is not normal. In fact its a joke. I could sleep for England and still feel I need more.
I explained that I get what I call brain fog, my memory or at least short term memory is shot. If I do get any bursts of energy, and decide to do the garden or paint my hall, I get what appears to be payback for it.
I explained Im on Cyclizine for nausea and and gastro meds aswell.
After all this he said he wanted to assure me that my chest xray was fine and nothing to worry about. However there is a condition called Costiochondritis which can cause terrible pain in the chest. I said to him that when the pain hits its like having a heart attack, and is the scariest pain iv ever had.
He then went on to say I have Fibromyalgia and suggested I use a tens machine to help with pain as well as anti inflammatories. I have also just been told I have Trigeminal neuralgia, thats pretty painfull to.
I am glad to know whats wrong, but the pain has really kicked up a gear today and its pretty bad. I would give anything to be pain free for just a day.
I didnt realise this Fibro could be quite so bad. Im not sure why I get the chest pain or why iv got Trigeminal Neuralgia. Does anyone else get this, or am I alone with these ones?
I feel like a 90 year old and whilst im totally grateful to be alive, I should like some quality to it whilst im still around.
Anyway, sorry for moaning, would be helpfull to no if anyone else gets the same symptoms as me. Any tips for morning stiffness would help too.
Thanks....................

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Just been told i have fibro....

how old are you? 3 symptoms there you might want to have checked out for hormonal problems: depression, not sleeping well, and night sweats

Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

tinkertot HB User

I am going for a blood test tommorrow morning to check out my hormonal levels. I am 42, my GP seems to think I am going through the menopause. All be it an early one, it can happen. That may be the reason for the night sweats. I am on a low maintenance dose of anti depressants, and thats fine. Its very difficult to no what to actually beleive. Because this guy reckons I def have Fibro, yet I had a lumbar puncture and it was positive, showing Oligoclonal bands in the CSF. My neuro said it could be anything, my GP thinks its MS. But I only have one lesion on my brainstem, so that rules that out. Thanks for the advice, just to wait and see if the bloods show anything.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I get the chest pains too. They can also be caused by GERD. However, I do have fibro and I have jolts, tingling, night sweats etc etc etc. The worst symptom I am experiencing now is cramping, charlie horses all over my body. I had a lumbar puncture that was negative. I do have multiple unusual brain calcifications and will have a repeat scan in a few weeks to see if there are changes. I also have reynauds and sicci syndrome (dry eye and mouth) I will also probably have a lip biopsy for sjogrens

Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Like Mel, i have alot of those things too,the fibro not the gerd, But have also had episodes of costio and you are right, it does feel like having a heart attack and lasts for a long time. Sometimes weeks even when the doc puts you on anti imflammation drugs. It even hurts when you breathe. The docs I see say its part of fibro or can be caused by other things as well, if you DONT have fibro.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I too get costochondritis and was in A&E thinking I was having a heart attack - awful. Anti inflammatries help a bit and I found an iced compress helps (even though my body hates the cold!) For the morning stiffness a hot shower and gentle strtching/pilates really helps me

The Following User Says Thank You to thesweetlife For This Useful Post:
upssamc (07-16-2011)
Closed Thread