It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

Misha5332 HB User
Question about horrible leg cramps

Has anyone experienced horrendous leg cramps at night? My feet, shins, calfs all cramped last night. Then it seemed to travel up my thighs into my stomach. It really was awful. I felt faint, broke out into a sweat. I vomited and that seemed to relax all the cramps finally. I've had a couple of leg cramps before, but never anything as severe as this. It terrifies me if I have to face this again. I had a very stressful day and work and then took a flu shot. I don't know if that is related to anything. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else about this. Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Re: Question about horrible leg cramps

My legs hurt. And I get cramps, because I have a vitamin-d Diffiancy which is normal. You may have that, it's very common.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

I get severe cramps too. Never up to my stomache though. As Snow I too am Vit D Def.
I am on prescription Vit D 50,000-IU a week as well as 2 citricals a day along with 2000-IU a day.

My Rhumey told me to drink Tonic Water. I will warn you, it doesn't taste so good. I use ALOT of Ice and Lemon in it to help with the taste.

I would get your Vit D checked just in case.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

Thank you so much. I will definintely get my vitamin D checked. And try the tonic water....

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I had terrible leg cramps for about 3 months (not just at night). I never got sick from them though. They finally subsided when I started taking Cymbalta. I also live in Florida and my rhumey said it was very unlikely that i was Vit-D deficient. Although you should still talk to yours about it.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
(female)

LIND HB User

Hi Misha,

I too experience horrible leg pain during the night that keeps me up. It has disappeared all summer and it just started back again. I didn't associate it with Fibro or that the weather played a role, assuming it does. I can tell you that my doctors have no explanation for the leg pain. The pain is so bad, that I thought I had bone cancer. Last year was the first time I ever experienced this pain. Back then I nearly lost my mind not sleeping for 6 months. I take soma which is a muscle relaxer at night but after a few hours I wake up with horrible pain in both legs. The pain is between my ankles and knees. Once I get up I am fine. I feel for you because I know how painful it is. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not sleeping through the night any longer and I certainly don't want to face another round of 6 months without proper rest. Is leg pain related to fibro? The pain is not RLS , at least in what I've read about RLS, my symptoms are different. Anyone have any ideas?

I do hope you feel better.

LIND

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

elle,
No one can assume you are not Vit D Dif. Hey you may not be, but the only way to know is through a blood test.

It doesn't hurt just to check it out, and if you are yoiu take supliments for it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

My symptoms are also different than the RLS.
Just as LIND mentioned, i felt maybe i had Bone cancer, the bone in both legs hurt to the touch. i'm glad you brought this up LIND with the Bone.

My legs are so painful to rest. Even the touch of sheets hurt.
I understand how my sleep pattern is so messed up, i just get out of bed when leg pain just won't ease up.

Wish you all Well
BeHappy2

Old 10-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
elle,
No one can assume you are not Vit D Dif. Hey you may not be, but the only way to know is through a blood test.

It doesn't hurt just to check it out, and if you are yoiu take supliments for it.
Vitamin D blood test is important. Mine is fine , i have blood testing every 6 months by orders of Rheumatologist.

BeHappy2

Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

Living in Fla, I decided to spend a little more time in the Sunshine, instead of avoid it for the Vitamin D.... but will definitely get my Vitamin D levels checked.... I also have the deep achy feeling in my bones....but I also get a sore muscle ache that travels all over... Its the worst in my thumbs... all muscle aches.... It just frightened me that the cramps were so bad that they made me sick ....... also they traveled to my stomach.... which may be IBS..... I think I'm also susceptible to a vagal response which I also attribute to the fibro..... over reaction to pain where I break out in a sweat and faint from pain.... Before I was diagnosed, I had an episode at work from what I later know to be IBS, but everyone thought I was having a heart attack..... This fibro is a real pain in the kiester....

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha5332 View Post
Living in Fla, I decided to spend a little more time in the Sunshine, instead of avoid it for the Vitamin D.... but will definitely get my Vitamin D levels checked.... I also have the deep achy feeling in my bones....but I also get a sore muscle ache that travels all over... Its the worst in my thumbs... all muscle aches.... It just frightened me that the cramps were so bad that they made me sick ....... also they traveled to my stomach.... which may be IBS..... I think I'm also susceptible to a vagal response which I also attribute to the fibro..... over reaction to pain where I break out in a sweat and faint from pain.... Before I was diagnosed, I had an episode at work from what I later know to be IBS, but everyone thought I was having a heart attack..... This fibro is a real pain in the kiester....
I've not heard this before, you actually Faint from muscle Pain ? Does your doctor know this and if so how often does this Fainting occur ?

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 10-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #12
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

This was the third time I fainted from pain. My GP knew about the first time when I collapsed at work before I was diagnosed. He put me through all kinds of tests with everything coming back negative except some minor stomach erosions. In the end, he called it a vagal response to stomach pain. Really nothing serious, just scary. I told the rheumotologist after the 2nd time and she knew about the first time. She said that with the fibro, my body acts differently to pain. She said the fibro intensifies it. I don't see her for a few more weeks, but I will tell her about this. Except for the ususal fibro feeling and I little more soreness in my legs, I was fine the next morning. I'm positive the fainting was due to the pain. I wanted to know if anyone else does this. This was the 3rd "spell" in a span of about 5 years.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

YES, YES YES, YES....I have had the horrible leg craps!!!! The only thing that relived them was Requip for RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Ask your Doc about it....it really DOES help!!! And everything that helps is a blessing!!!

Pam

Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
(male)

dandyoandy HB User

I take 1 mg of requip 3X daily but I still have cramps. Not only leg cramps at night, but also in my abdominal muscles and between my shoulder blades at various times depending on what I am doing and what muscles I am using. Mine are probably not as severe as yours are, but I would like to figure out a way to reduce or eliminate them. I'm new to PD being diagnosed for about a year now, so I am no expert yet. Hope you get relief soon.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

Thankfully I don't get the horrible cramps often... but I feel them there lurking! I make sure that I get in the sunshine awhile everyday. Getting my blood work next week. My rheumy isn't at all concerned about the cramping and fainting. She told me keep tonic water by my bedside, just in case and soak my legs in warm water before going to bed. Anyone have a remedy for dry skin????

Closed Thread