It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

womenintec HB User
Stiff fingers, can barely make a fist

Hi. I'm a 58 yo woman and I have MS and have had it for over 15 years. Relapsing Remitting. I also have osteopenia.

For the last few weeks I have been stiff all over. My joints and even the tops of my thighs hurt.

Recently though my fingers are very stiff, so stiff that I can barely make a fist. I have osteoarthritis in my knees but have never had my fingers or hand xrayed. It is especially bad in my left hand.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what is causing this or what to do is appreciated.

I have taken pain meds that are heavy duty and while they take the pain away, I still can't make a fist or not without wanting to scream.

Tommy in Pinehurst NC

Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Stiff fingers, can barely make a fist

Just curious as to you posting before this post , you do Not have Fibromyalgia. I'm unsure of what you are asking here.

I'm not familiar with MS symptoms and you say you have osteoarthritis.
Possibly your stiff fingers could be realted to symptoms of these two.

Wish you well
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
(female)

womenintec HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
Just curious as to you posting before this post , you do Not have Fibromyalgia. I'm unsure of what you are asking here.

I'm not familiar with MS symptoms and you say you have osteoarthritis.
Possibly your stiff fingers could be realted to symptoms of these two.

Wish you well
BeHappy2
Sorry. I think I was not aware that this was just fibromyalgia. Am new to this board. My niece has fibromyalgia.

Can you tell me how you were diagnosed?

MS and Fibromyalgia share at least seven symptoms that I can think of.

Tommy

Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

That is interesting Tommy, i had no idea MS and Fibro share 7 similar symptoms. I need to read into that. I did have the MRi of Brain for MS and did not have MS.

I was officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist.
My general doctor had suspected Fibro after many many tests.
I was misdiagnosed by my doctor, he ran some blood test wrong and came up with i would be wheelchair bound soon. At that time i could barely walk for pain took total control. Briefing all this my Rheumatologist ran those tests differently and thank God i did not have that rare disease. Long name as many are, can't even think of it at this moment, darn it.

This is why i feel the importance of one seeing a Rheumatologist for Fibromyalgia diagnosis and a person learning all they can to manage symptoms.

So kind for you to be here and i hope your niece may join us. The more knowledge your niece can gather , the better understanding and choices of how we Live with Fibromyalgia.

Thanks again for the MS info, i had no idea about the similar symptoms.
Would you want to share the 7 similar symptoms here. I'm here to listen.
This may be interesting to all . Thanks so much

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

Hi Tommy,

My daughter also has MS and has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well. It seems the two can go hand in hand but since the entire auto-immune disease area is still such a mystery, who knows how???

I sympathize with your pain. I too have had some major joint issues. It was my knees first which would lock up on me. My right knee still does it really bad, but I am used to popping it back in now and it doesn't hurt as much. But when it got into my fingers, it really bothered me. My middle fingers especially will lock up and have to be popped back out.

What helps me is taking a mixture (all in one pill) of Glucosamine, Chondrotin and MSM. The kind I have is 3 pills a day. I know that they really help because my fingers completely stopped locking up when I was on them for a while. I have been off of them for a while now
(just need to shop) and my fingers are locking back up again!

Anyway, that's all I have experienced that might help you. I wish you the best in this mysterious world we are in of auto-immune diseases and conditions.

Big hugs from Georgia!

Pam

Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I originally thought I may have MS as I had symptoms that led in that direction. I, too had the MRI and an opthamologist exam as there were some neuro related symptoms: dizziness, passing out, trouble with eyes focusing at times, fatigue, loss of muscular tone, unstable gait at times and unexplained pain syndrome. I also was suffering from memory problems, inability to focus on tasks, loss of concentration and some depression, unrefreshing sleep, etc. I was cleared of MS and originally received a FMS diagnosis but later was found to have lupus. I know that a lot of the symptoms of all three illnesses do overlap, so one may have to go through a lot of tests to find the root cause of one's problems.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
(female)

womenintec HB User

Hi, Pam.

Thanks a lot. I will try to find this mixture, though it would be nice in one pill. I swear my life is surrounded by pill bottles. Why can't those pill/day containers look cute and inviting!

Is your daughter on one of the ABC drugs? (Avonex, Betasaron, Copaxone etc.).

Tommy in Pinehurst, NC

Old 10-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

now that you mentioned this. a while ago on one hand all my fingers felt stiff and tight like they were swollen but they weren't.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
(female)

womenintec HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyfm View Post
I originally thought I may have MS as I had symptoms that led in that direction. I, too had the MRI and an opthamologist exam as there were some neuro related symptoms: dizziness, passing out, trouble with eyes focusing at times, fatigue, loss of muscular tone, unstable gait at times and unexplained pain syndrome. I also was suffering from memory problems, inability to focus on tasks, loss of concentration and some depression, unrefreshing sleep, etc. I was cleared of MS and originally received a FMS diagnosis but later was found to have lupus. I know that a lot of the symptoms of all three illnesses do overlap, so one may have to go through a lot of tests to find the root cause of one's problems.
I don't know about the other illnesses but the only true diagnosis so far for MS is an autopsy, which is just a bit final don't you think?! The first MRI I had and the flares I had didn't definitely rule me as having MS. It has taken about two later MRIs, about five years apart to say that without a doubt I have it.

I have some of the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I read recently that a blood test can be done for cfs and I hope that this will be used for other diseases of this type too.

I like this health board. It is simple to use and the email is sent to you. I'm only on a dog and a cancer listserv. I used to be on an MS board but it was too chatty for the amount of time I had during that section of my life!

Tommy

Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
(female)

home sweet home HB User

Hi, I get stiff fingers and sometimes they do swell slightly and sometimes they dont, they just feel like they are. Yes it is very painful to try and stretch them out or to make a fist.When this happens the pain pills I take do nothing for it. I have osteoarthritis,rheumatoid arthitis, fibro,restless leg,lupus,raynauds,ibs,osteopenia,overac tive bladder,tinnitus,etc. I now nothing about ms,hope you can figure it out, as I have a great dr. My medication is hydroxychloriquine, premarin ,fexofenadine, vesicare, tramadol, nabumetone,lexapro,cyclobenzaphine, ropinirol, hyomax. Good luck ! home sweet home

Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
(female)

maxtabby HB User

Same here with symptoms you describe: pain in upper thighs and very stiff hands. My doctor x-rayed my hands and did find Osteoarthritis. She didn't think that fibro would cause so much stiffness in the hands. The pain in upper thighs is more fibro with me.

Closed Thread