It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

Suzzana HB User
Fibro and alcohol???

Hi everyone..I am new here, but have had fibro diagnosed over 10 years ago. I am not a heavy drinker or even a once weekly drinker, but in the past year it seems that when I do have a glass of wine with dinner within two hours my whole body is aching worse than normal aching. It seems to be worse in my upper legs and lasts for a couple of days then I'm back to my regular fibro self. I've tried white wine instead of red, vodka instead of wine, gin instead of vodka, and I flare every time I have anything. With me it started with red wine and now has mostly included everything with alcohol. My sis, also with fibro, has not had the problem until she recently had a glass of red wine/she normally has white wine every so often/and in two hours she was flaring, too. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

hugs,
Suzzana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User
Re: Fibro and alcohol???

Yes, Suzanna, have this exact issue. I can't drink any alcohol at all or I flare up terribly exactly as you describe. I also experimented with different forms...it doesn't make a difference...I just can't have alcohol. I didn't have any type of allergy or issue before having fibromyalgi. It stinks, doesn't it?!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

So....if drinking alcohol makes you flare....then don't drink alcohol!!! I don't mean to sound mean, I'm just saying....I can drink some wine and feel relaxed and able to sleep better without flaring. I cannot drink liquour though, I have had to leave that alone entirely, because it just has such a heavy effect without drinking much, like, my daughter said I came out of my room stumbling around and saying "what am I doing" and I have no memory of that! So for my safety and the safety of everyone around me, I cannot drink that anymore, but a little wine seems O.K.!

I wish you all the best!

Hugs!!

Pam

Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

I have had this exact reaction for years. If I drink ANY type of alcohol my pain is much worse...so much more in fact that I usually have to stop whatever I am doing and lay down..sadly usually after only one drink, if even that. *hugs* just another strange mystery of fibro I suppose

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
(female)

ForeverAmber HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzana View Post
Hi everyone..I am new here, but have had fibro diagnosed over 10 years ago. I am not a heavy drinker or even a once weekly drinker, but in the past year it seems that when I do have a glass of wine with dinner within two hours my whole body is aching worse than normal aching. It seems to be worse in my upper legs and lasts for a couple of days then I'm back to my regular fibro self. I've tried white wine instead of red, vodka instead of wine, gin instead of vodka, and I flare every time I have anything. With me it started with red wine and now has mostly included everything with alcohol. My sis, also with fibro, has not had the problem until she recently had a glass of red wine/she normally has white wine every so often/and in two hours she was flaring, too. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

hugs,
Suzzana
Hmm, I thought it was just me. Not only does my body ache more than usual, but one glass of wine causes me to get a severe migraine. I had to stop drinking 3 years ago when all this mess started with my illness. Large amounts of chocolate cause the same thing to happen. It's crazy!
This illness has sucked the life out of me. What is life without chocolate???
(I still sneak an M&M or two when noone is looking )

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
(female)

Suzzana HB User

Wow, I thought it was just me...or that I have developed yet another health problem. I'm sorry you guys also have it, but it is comforting to know that others have experienced the same thing. This aching flare happens every time I have alcohol without fail...I've tried all kinds of alcohol, even organic wine, just to see if they all affect me the same way. Good thing I'm not so fond of alcohol anyway...but chocolate..that's another story. Amber, I'm sorry you also cannot have chocolate, but at least you can sneak a little M&M without the fibro watching!!

I wonder if anyone has the alcohol problem early on with their fibro diagnosis or after ten years like my sister and me. Hers has just started last month....geez, just when you think you've had everything fibro could throw at you, it sneaks in with something else...

Thanks all for your responses...Suzzana

Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

im with amber on this one. I used to love wine and liked having a glass every night before going to bed. Now i stay completely away from it for several reasons. One, im on heavy meds, and dont want the one drink to be the one that does me in. Second, ive got liver problems, so not suppose to drink anymore, but third, i was getting headaches shortly after having a drink (wine). It was like within 30 mins or so, that i would start getting a very bad headache, almost a migraine and i dont get migraines. It didnt use to be like that before, ive been a wine lover for many years, but always just a glass two or three times a week with dinner. I dont know if its something in the wine that im allergic to NOW, or what, but i do stay away from it because of all these reasons. Also i cant handle anything that has msg in it anymore. Same thing, get bad headaches.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I've had fibro for a couple of years now - have cut back on the amount of alcohol I drink more because I'm doing by best to be as healthy as possible (I was never a big drinker except in my uni days/early twenties) the alcohol doesn't seem to affect my fibro and I only take vitamins so no meds to react with it. I have maybe 6 small glasses of wine a week max - so will keep an eye out as time marches on as to whether there may be a link later. And what a nightmare no chocolate either - again I've now limited mine but still........

Old 10-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Being a migraine sufferer, I can tell you red wine is one of the no no's. That and chocolate are some of the triggers to migraines. I never have liked wine and I am not a chocolate fan (unless it is dark chocolate), so I can safely say I don't have a problem with them. However, I use to like a mixed drink when we would go out for dinner. Some years back I noticed some stomach discomfort with my mixed drink and finally I noticed with just a few sips, I was in pain. I think my stomach pain came from the combination of alcohol and the meds I was taking at the time. My meds have changed since then, but I still cannot drink. It effects the way my whole body feels, and I don't really care for alcohol that much.

Glojer

Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User

Suzzana, I am also really comforted to know that others are experiencing the same thing!!!! Early on with my fibro, I didn't notice an "allergy." But after a few years, I realized there was a distinct reaction. I can always expect a terrible flare. I didn't drink much to begin with, but I did enjoy wine, champagne at weddings, and a couple of drinks out to dinner. It's a bummer when I REALLY want to relax with friends and I can't drink. Plus, I can't handle it with my meds. One drink is like having 6!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
(female)

livinwithpain24 HB User

Hi Suzzana,

I love to have a glass of red wine with dinner or just when I have company BUT before I even knew I had FMS I would have one glass and just feel horrible. I was getting instant headaches, upper leg pain, and felt horrible.

Keep in mind I am 24 and I promise you a glass of wine never slowed me down before much less the whole bottle! ha ha. I haven't tried anything since then.

Good luck and God Bless!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
(female)

jisduit HB User

Very interesting - hummmmmmmmmmm
I drink rather heavey at times - cant work, depressed, dont like taking the pain meds - keep telling myself gin works better
BUT if it actually causing my pain - it would be a nor brainer not to drink anything containing alcohol - I will definaitly try it.
Meds: Morphine, Ambien, Klonopin, Elavil, Omeprazole, Vit D

Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

I have this exact thing...all my pressure points kill me they hurt so bad for days after drinking wine and this just started the last month or 2.before that I could drink a bottle on a Saturday night no problem....wonder what changed??Was really hoping white would be better than red....HMMMMM?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
(female)

untouchableme HB User

Add me to the lucky recipients of this one ; )
I tend to get instant migraines now if I drink and it really plays havoc w. my body temp. Afterwords my pressure points flare. I also don't think I should chance mixing it with my meds. Definitely a bummer of a symptom. I was never a big drinker but I do miss my occasional margarita or martini
"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." Buddha

Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
(female)

fibro-worn HB Userfibro-worn HB User

I usually get a bad pressure headache if i drink wine or any liquor. But I thought that it was because of taking tramadol. It says right on the bottle do not drink alcohol

Closed Thread