It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

Misha5332 HB User
Massage and fibro

I'm pretty new here and was wondering how others feel about massage and fibro. I get a weekly trigger point massage and don't think I would be able to function without it. I missed him for 3 weeks once and my shoulder was so bad I couldn't move it. I was beginning to think that I must have injured it (torn a rotator cup or something), but he worked it out. It doesn't make me pain free, but massage really takes care of the bad pains and keeps me moving. Just wondering what other's thoughts were...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Massage and fibro

I absolutly agree - especially in winter it's one of the key things that keeps me moving. I have bought a massage bed so when I can't get to the therapist i can just jump on that. It massages me form head to toe and has infra red heat in it as well. Not quite the same but it does a good job

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I'm glad the massage bed works for you! I did a test demo on one and the pressure on my tender points sent me into a flare for 4 days! Ouch!
Massage does help me but it has to be a gentle massage. My doc said that anyone with fibro should not be getting a deep tissue or agressive massage! In my particular case, she was right!

Deb

Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

I find massage helps tremendously and it helps to have a therapist who is educated about fibromyalgia. I have to have deep tissue massage or I get no benefit. It hurts BAD but it breaks up all the spasms and a day later I feel 100% better. Some can only have light massage, but everyone is different. I drink TONS of water afterwards and that helps get rid of all the "junk" that the massage releases. I just wish I could get my insurance to pay for it. Maybe someday?
MaryAnn

Old 11-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

I've not had the deep tissue massage therapy but does sound interesting.

Misha is this painful during the deep tissue massage ?

BeHappy2

Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb53 View Post
I'm glad the massage bed works for you! I did a test demo on one and the pressure on my tender points sent me into a flare for 4 days! Ouch!
Massage does help me but it has to be a gentle massage. My doc said that anyone with fibro should not be getting a deep tissue or agressive massage! In my particular case, she was right!

Deb
HI Deb, I had the same reaction with the first one i tried - it was a bit like being in a mangle! This one was apparently developed to help horses recover after the olympics and then was adapted for us humans! I came across it purely by chance on a Corporate day - it's called a cyclo- ssage massage system and has different programmes so you can have light massage/deep sessions dependant on how you feel- it's portable which is one of the things that really appealed to me as there's times when I'm away at home and hurting after either a long drive/strange beds/pressured day with clients! - however I'd need somebody to carry it both ends as one of the things that causes me to flair is carrying stuff so it stays at home my hubbie is converting one of our spare rooms to a therapy type of room for me as I've now got so much stuff it's taking over the house!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
(female)

hooverah HB User

Hi everyone! I do not post much either. Deep messages work best for me. They really hurt, but in a good way. I feel 100% better the next day. I was getting them every week but I've had to cut down because of the cost. Good luck to you.

Last edited by hooverah; 11-01-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
(female)

grammy1 HB User

ladies, i love that-massage bed? i havent heard of that. where can i get one? i will research that also. i cant afford a massage right now but i do know how helpful it could be. funny thing is i was studying to become a massage therapists and had trouble remembering things. i studied so hard and couldnt figure out why it was so hard. 1 year later fibro hit full force. now i know why. i do remember things you can do at home on yourself using tennis balls, edges of walls and the foot of the bed. anything that i can lean on i use as a massage. always move in a clockwise direction. i am checking out the massage bed though.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

The kind of massage that I get is called "trigger point." It's different from any other kinds of massage that I've had. I can't say that it is a feel good massage like the others, but the only time it is painful is when he works on my really sore areas. When my left shoulder was bad, it really hurt when he worked on it, but it is a million times better now. He still does some work on it as it tightens up some, but it is no longer painful. My thumbs have been real bad. When he worked on them today, tears nearly came to my eyes with my left thumb and it is still sore. He has me ice the really bad spots afterwards. Tonight my right thumb feels totally normal. He's taken care of my shins and lower back, neck...... I don't think I would be functioning as well without him. Unfortunately, it seems I always have a new area for him to work on. He works on quite a few people with fibromyalgia.....I was just curious if anyone else on this board found as much relief as I do from massage.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I live in the UK and that's where I got the bed from - if you check out the internet it will be there I'm sure

Closed Thread