It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

monkeytoes HB User
Massage...friend or foe??

I know massages can feel oh so good but for us with tender point pain would it just make it worse or would it actually help????

Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Massage...friend or foe??

It helps me - painful at the time but releases stuff - I've also had trigger point massage/therapy which is great too - dependant on how I am my therapist works my body accordingly - lightly if really sore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

hpfan28 HB User

I cannot tolerate massages. They feel great until we're all finished, then I'm in pain for 2-3 days. The massage therapist even specializes in fibro massages. She's very gentle. I just must be super sensitive. I've had others with fibro tell me that massage helps them tremendously. With fibro the old saying is true - different strokes for different folks.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

I feel that I wouldn't be able to function with out my trigger point massage. It is a little painful during the massage.... I don't feel all that great a few hours later which I attribute it to the toxins being spread all over.... But then I can move for the rest of the week.... Definitely friend....

Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
(male)

Ace88 HB User

Definitely friend...I have to be careful with massaging my neck too long or putting elbows into my back. Upper back and neck I really have to limit the deep stuff. But massage has been helpful for my arms, legs, stomach (digestive problems), aching hands and feet...I honestly don't know what I'd do without it.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

untouchableme HB User

I sustained serious injuries to my back and neck from several car accidents. My bf has been giving me massages for years, even before the dreaded "F" word was part of our vocabulary. I do believe they help even though I'm often is worse pain the next day.
I used to work as a chiropractic therapist, one of the things I learned is that as your muscles loosen you will feel more pain at first. Drinking lots of water and taking Epsom salt baths following a massage is key because it helps draw the toxins released by the massage out of your body. (I'm very bad at that part, even though I know it's important). Just be careful of the water temp. If you have high blood pressure or MS, you should keep the temp moderate as opposed to hot.
"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." Buddha

Closed Thread