It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

donnadb040 HB Userdonnadb040 HB User
If I Couldnt Take Cymbalta Should I Even TRY Savella?? I'm scared!

I had such horrendous side effects from cymbalta (heart palps, increased BP, chills, sweats, etc) I was wondering if I should even try Savella??? As I understand it, they are both SSNRI type meds. Doc has given me the starter pack for savella but I am SCARED to try it!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Re: If I Couldnt Take Cymbalta Should I Even TRY Savella?? I'm scared!

I am currently trying cymbalta and feel awful!! My head is so spaced out, head ache, anxious, nausea UGH! I do not know about Savella....guess it can not hurt and may help...will not know until you try it..I did not know it was in the SSNRI group. Keep us updated on your progress.

how long were you on Cymbalta?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

Cymbalta... 1st dose caused me to feel as if i was having a heart attack! It was my first and last cymbalta pill

Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
(female)

dougrobin01 HB User

Hi,

I tried Cymbalta a long time ago. It didn't help me at all (so I quit) and the only negative side affect I had was constipation, however; Savella is kicking my butt every which way. There's no telling how a person will react to a med unless you just do it. Even if a drug says it's an SSRI or SNRI, they are not all made or formulated the same. So one SNRI may not be good but then the next would could be. Go figure. I really do miss my Celexa though.

I just tested my resting heart rate a few minutes ago because my heart feels funny and my rate is 100 bpm. That's too high but as long as I don't feel like I'm going to stroke out or anything, I will just keep going. I refuse to let my Rheumy tell me "You never gave Savella a chance" so this will show him right? ha!

Just give the Savella a shot but remember, once you start you can't just abruptly stop. You have to wean back off of it or you will feel really weird.

Good Luck with it!
Robin B.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

I am on Cymbalta. Cymbalta was working great for me at first, but after 4-1/2 months on it, the pain relief decreased by about 40%. I talked to my doctor about it and he said I had three choices. I could stay on Cymbalta but up my dosage from 60 mgs a day to 90 mgs a day. He said that increase might be permanent, but it could be temporary depending on how the higher dosage works for me. He said that sometimes, there is a period of time where everything levels out and the pain relief doesn't seem as strong and upping the dosage a little could jump start it into working like it did in the beginning.

The second choice was to change to Savella. He said that while Cymbalta works by putting more norepinephrine in the brain and also seretonin, the Savella only works on the norepinephrine neurotransmitter which is supposed to cause the body not to feel as much pain. He said that it is very much like Cymbalta with mostly the same side effects.

The third suggestion was Lyrica which I absolutely refuse to go on because of the side effects, especially weight gain. I know people who have gained 10 pounds a week! How depressing would that be??? I have gained 8 pounds on Cymbalta in 4-1/2 months and the weight gain seems to have stopped!

I decided to go with the first option, which was increasing my Cymbalta dosage since I was already used to the Cymbalta and the worst side effect, excessive sweating, was a side effect on Savella as well.

Hang in there! If you give yourself time to allow your body to get used to the Savella, maybe it will be just the ticket for you!

Hugs and love,

Pamela

Old 11-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

grammy1 HB User

hey people, i will try my best to tell my experience with these meds. i tend to talk way out in left field sometimes, so bear with me. when i was on cymbalta, it worked for awhile. my doctor gave this to me to help the pain in my upper back and neck. meanwhile, it seemed to cause my depression to get worse. once the pain in my back didnt hurt as bad, i weened myself off of it, my doctor knew of this also. then next came lyrica. i started on a low dose and kept it there until i really couldnt take the pain anymore. so then it was increased and did the same, until i couldnt take the pain anymore. once i was on the maximum dose, i remained there until again, the pain was back to being around a 9 or 10. i waited 3 months to make sure the lyrica wasnt working for me. i was on lyrica for about 1 year. i didnt gain weight from this med. i gained weight from the depression meds. when i talked to my doctor about lyrica not doing its job, he changed it to the savella triation pack. i was really worried about giving up the lyrica. i read the pamplet that came with the savella so i would know the side effects before taking it. it starts you out at a low dose and increases as the days go by. i did experience the side effects the second day. mainly nausea. it was strange because the 3rd day i felt great, then days 4 thru maybe day 8, i felt horrible. i was so tired and my body felt so heavy. i couldnt move much and started wondering if this was a good choice. after that it started getting better and better. when i went back to the doctor, and i told him it was working well except around five oclock, everyday, i would have too much pain coming thru and the tramadol couldnt get it under conrol, so my doc had me to take one lyrica at that time every day. so savella is working well for me along with the lyrica and tramadol. if i go into a flare and it last for one month then i will ask for an increase in the savella. i try to take the pain until it is unbearable. i know my future holds a lot of different meds, so i take what i can for as long as i can. most defintely i would talk about your concerns taking savella to your doctor. savella also gives you energy and i LOVED that. i wish i could help you more. take care all!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
(female)

The main thing that scares me with the savella is the high blood pressure and pulse rate. I have already been diagnosed with a cardiac arrythmia as well as ventricular tachycardia and am i so scared that the savella is going to pop my heart right out of rhythm and when this happens,,,,,,there is hell to pay! It takes weeks and sometimes months to return to my old self! All the while, feeling horrible, breathing difficulties, blood pressure/pulse problems, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, the whole gamut! Still haven't decided if I'm brave (or stupid) enough to try it yet!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

The Savella caused me to have a very high blood pressure and heart rate as well. Like the Cymbalta, I also had a VERY difficult time weaning off of it. The same happened with the Cymbalta so I couldn't take either of them. Good luck!

Deb

Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

This is a great discussion, thanks for starting it. I've been taking Lyrica for a year now. I started out at a very low dose and was doing great. But the pain started again. The Dr. upped my dose.... I did great, then more pain. Again upped the dose and great for a while, but the pain is back. I was at the rhuematologist today and she said I can up the dose, but wants to talk Savella next visit. This discussion helped me to decide that I'm going to go with the pain as long as I can stand it before upping the Lyrica. I, too, am afraid of the future, how this fibromyalgia is going to manifest itself and am worried about too many meds. I've lost weight on Lyrica...(Didn't know I was supposed to gain weight, and watched what I was eating just because I wanted to lose a few pounds). I really haven't had any side affects. Dr. says it is supposed to help me sleep, but it really doesn't.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

I guess the weight thing depends on whether you are predisposed genetically, familial history, etc. If you are one of those lucky people who does not have to fight gaining weight through menopause and especially with Fibromyalgia meds, congratulations!!

I know for myself, the weight issue with meds is an important one, but not as important as whether the meds work or not. As somebody else said, you use what works until it doesn't work for you anymore and then look at changing some things around.

Best of luck and hope to ALL of us to find everything we need to make our lives as comfortable and pain-free as possible!

Love and hugs,

Pam

Old 05-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
(female)

toots2 HB User

Sweating is absolutely the worst side effect with the savella. I could tolerate the cymbalta but had to get off of it because it did not work well enough for depression. I am miserable sweating all day but the savella takes away most of my pain. i don't know what to do...have cut my dosage in half and am still sweating. Is the sweating worth it? I don't know.

Closed Thread