It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User
How/Why Does Weather affect people with fibro?

Hi, I just read a thread about weather in Florida and I am curious about why weather effects people with fibro.

I am in Virginia and the weather has been crazy. I started the week off with a minor flair up than today it has become a major flair up.

Soft Hugs to All

Johna

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: How/Why Does Weather effect people with fibro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johna View Post
Hi, I just read a thread about weather in Florida and I am curious about why weather effects people with fibro.

I am in Virginia and the weather has been crazy. I started the week off with a minor flair up than today it has become a major flair up.

Soft Hugs to All

Johna
People with arthritis say that it makes them hurt worse (the cold air or when it rains). I've never heard of that one before with Fibro. The change in weather doesn't bother me at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User
Re: How/Why Does Weather affect people with fibro?

Along with the Fibro, I have some joint issues as well, so changes in weather do bother me at times, but since my personal "weather report" for a while has been hot, hot, hot and pouring sweat, I've taken very little notice of the outside weather.

Hugs,

Pam

Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

jisduit HB User

I live in Virginia two and the last few weeks have been real bad for me
Meds: Morphine, Ambien, Klonopin, Elavil, Omeprazole, Vit D

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

i have found 5 major weather factors that affect Fibro symptoms

Temperature-rapid changes can trigger Fibro Flare

Barometric Pressure -Triggers muscle aches and pains

Humidity- triggers headaches, stiffness and flares widespread pain

Precipitation-change in Barometric Pressure raises symptoms of pain & fatigue

Wind- causes decrease in Barometric pressure .Wind can trigger fatigue, headaches & muscle aches.

I'm no scientist but do have Fibromyalgia. All of these weather factors can affect us with Fibromyalgia. Some people move to other areas due to weather conditions to try and manage their symptoms better. Although i have never heard of the State or Land of Fibromyalgia Free yet.

Wish us All Well
BeHappy2

Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

HI all - I would say the weather and draughts are possibly my biggest fibro trigger - so living here in the wet, cold, windy UK is a fibro nightmare! It rarely gets hots enoigh to get humid so I've not had to contend that yet!!! As many of you know I'm moving to the mountains on the Italian Riviera in just under 2 years (not that I'm counting!) Clean fresh air and a temperate climate ..................bliss! I keep focussing on that and even have the weather chart for the area I'm moving to as my home page!!! It's forecasted for sun and 58 over there tomorrow instead of rain and 42 here in the UK

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I am in Virginia also. The weather in this state is crazy!! One day it is the
60's and beautiful, next day in the 30's with rain....back and forth, back and forth ...the poor body doesn't have time to adjust. Yes, the weather is one of my biggest flare triggers!

Deb

Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

That sounds like a beautiful place you'll be moving to Sweetlife.
Have you heard of any others with Fibro that have moved to that area and had better times of managing their Fibromyalgia ?

It's good you have a plan. Something to definately to look forward too.

Live Life Well
BeHappy2

Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
(female)

ae2 HB User

I find that changes in weather and temp affects me huge, for instance I live in WI and it can get pretty humid/hot in the summer and my son plays soccer and if I would sit outside in the sun for more than an hour or so I would be so achey and in pain I could hardly move later in the evening. Same thing with the cold, we are at about 8 degrees right now and I have been in a bad flare ever since the cold front hit.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

I have an old fashioned barometer - its a made of glass and looks like a bottle with a long pour spout which is the same height as the bottle. It hangs upright on a wooden board, and is filled with water, dyed blue. When there is a low pressure system going through, the water goes up to the top of the spout and flows over (there's a drip vat underneath). When there's a high pressure system, it forces the water down into the bottle and the pour spout is empty. Normal pressure means the water level inside the bottle and in the pour spour are equal.

All that to explain that when I'm feeling particularly awful, its guaranteed the spout will be filled to overflowing - meaning there's a low pressure weather pattern going through, and within a few hours we'll have rain or snow.

Arizona was supposed to be marketed as a state that was dry enough for us arthritic snowbirds, but my daughter lives there now, and she sees a fair amount of rain, but very, very hot and dry weather too. You're right BeHappy, that place just doesn't exist.

Last edited by Wootton; 12-10-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Weather definitely triggers my pain. Especially when the changes are dramatic...here in the midwest, the winter has moved in with fury and I have felt it!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy2 View Post
That sounds like a beautiful place you'll be moving to Sweetlife.
Have you heard of any others with Fibro that have moved to that area and had better times of managing their Fibromyalgia ?

It's good you have a plan. Something to definately to look forward too.

Live Life Well
BeHappy2

HI BeHappy (love the name!) Amazingly enough when we were over there in September to look at buying some land the woman selling it was American and used to live in Chicago - we got chatting and she asked why we wanted to live in this particular region of italy (we have lots of reasons but the number 1 for me is the climate) so I explained about my fibro.....turns out before she moved to this part of italy she had been bed ridden for 2 years and in a wheel chair for another 1 as she too has fibro. You could have blown me over with a feather - there was no evidence of anything whatsoever!!!! She got a visa to live in Italy on health grounds!!! My fibro is nowhere near as severe as hers - she says she still has days where she has pain but NOTHING like she used to have - so BRING IT ON! My theory is if hers has reduced so massively and mine is not as bad as hers was maybe I might be more or less pain free - here's to the possibility! xxx

Last edited by thesweetlife; 12-10-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

I could do Italy! Gorgeous there.... I can't complain, I live in Florida and don't have to put up with the dramatic weather changes... when it gets chilly and damp here, I feel it. I couldn't imagine being up north with fibro, I used to live near Chicago....and barely survived when I didn't have fibro. Over Christmas, I'm going to London. Bad enough, the long flight.... then the weather change... I'm worried. I told the kids to expect me to take lots of hot showers.... I made the trip in August and actually felt great there, but that was August. Wish me luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Florida/London....London/Florida - I know which I would choose - I seem to remember you're coming to see family so I completely understand why you're making the trip - fingers crossed for dry days - but hey this is the UK and we don't get many of them!!!! Bring lots of wraps and scarves etc x

Old 12-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Thank You ALL for the replies to my post. The perfect land for me to live in would be in New Mexico or Arizona..nice and dry.

Closed Thread