It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

wondering kay HB User
Question Fibro and disability

Hello, I have read on here that many have opted not to use medicines for a variety of different reasons. My question is does it make any difference when you apply for disability if you will not try different meds. for treatment. Does it have any bearing on being approved? Would appreciate input. thanks Kay

Last edited by wondering kay; 12-20-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Fibro and disability

That's a very good question - I wish I knew - I'm sure someone here will know - have you talked this through with your doctor. I won't take anything because all research points to fibro staying with you for ever (I do believe one day there will be a cure but the fact is that at the moment there isn't one. On that basis my view is that if we start taking meds we will be on them forever and that then has an impact on kidneys/liver etc etc never mind when there are things that you have to take meds for we will then be taking such a concoction that i think it puts our lives at risk - I'm not sure though what the government view is orwhoever approves of disability. I guess a way round it is maybe you get the meds but don't take them - it seems crazy that you might be forced to take the meds in order to qualify for disability - but then it is a crazy world we live in!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I don't know if refusing medication would be like refusing treatment or not. I know that I have limited pain options and at this time, I have opted not to go on some schedule narcotic as I have so many allergies to meds that I am afraid I will run out of options should I need surgery or some other incident in the future. I do know that I was tried on multiple medications that failed and I know that had to have some bearing on my disability claim as I was out of options. I suppose that alternative treatments of massage, topical creams, acupuncture, etc may be enough. But the key to disability is not the disease itself, but how the disease and resultive treatments may alter one's ability to function in the workplace. Many have medication related problems, such as not being able to drive while medicated, or being lethargic on some meds which would definitely affect one's performing a job. If your doctor is supporting your disability claim, I would ask his thoughts on what you have asked here.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

Don't take this as advice, but when I was applying for disability I was at the hearing level and had a lawyer. My main condition was mental health and lack of energy and inability to handle stress or responsibility (probably fibro/CFS in the mix). But I also had back problems that were cropping up. My lawyer was wondering if I was taking any medication and was concerned that I wasn't. He said the judge is going to ask, if I hurt so much, why do I not need medication?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

I cant take med because of stomach issues but was approved 3yrs ago

Closed Thread