It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

ae2 HB User
Muscle Twitching/Spasms

I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from non stop overall body/muscle twitching. My whole body twitches from my head all the way down to my toes, it drives me crazy.. Sometimes it is so bad that I cannot sleep or it wakes me up.. My Rheumatologist put me on Cyclobenzapr which helps a bit at night but it makes me sleepy so I only take it before bed..

I had a MRI and EMG but everything came back normal, my Dr. said that they could be part of my Fibro..

Anyone else experience this?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
Re: Muscle Twitching/Spasms

Yes, I suffer from it and it can come along with the Fibro. It has gotten better for me, but when it kicks up, I can't stand it either. It is such a wierd feeling. I hate it.

My doctor told me to drink Tonic Water for the spasms and twitching. It has Quinide (SP) in it. It is supposed to help. Peronaly I dont like Tonic Water, if you don't either try drinking it with lemon in it or try some GIN..LOL It is also to help surpress the muscle cramps too. Does it TRULY help?? I don't know..honestly don't drink it alot.

But like I said my spasms have gotten much better I guess due to my meds.

Good luck and feel better

(((Gentle Huggs)))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

Yes, I also experience twitching. Sometimes it is very strong and other times it is tolerable. There are a lot of crazy symptoms that come along with this illness.
The twitches don't bother me much, however one night my arm actually flew across the bed and whacked my husband in the head. I don't think he appreciated it. LOL

Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Love that story elle !!!lol

Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
(female)

ae2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle45 View Post
Yes, I also experience twitching. Sometimes it is very strong and other times it is tolerable. There are a lot of crazy symptoms that come along with this illness.
The twitches don't bother me much, however one night my arm actually flew across the bed and whacked my husband in the head. I don't think he appreciated it. LOL
I love that!! I may have to do that and blame it on my twitching!! Too funny!!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

not constant, I'll get spasms here or there. it comes and goes it's common.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User

Oh yah I get them too. Not constant thank God but I do get them a lot. sometimes it feels like i'm twitching and shaking from the inside out.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I get all over muscle spasms with tightness & some degree of pain. The twitching however, no, have had it before since I developed this back pain and my muscles were weirdly rolling up and down in a strong force. Didn't occur too many times and I don't get them anymore. Honestly that sounds more neurological but your MRI was okay, that's a good thing. Spasms are definetly common with Fibromyalgia.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Yes i have those, i call them the jerks, its more of an instant jerk, sometimes my legs, hips or arms, wrists. My doctor said it might be like restless legs, but it happens to the rest of my body. Doesnt happen everyday, but when i do theyre like hiccups, jerk after jerk after jerk. I dont feel pain with it tho, just that its tiring and causes anxiety in me.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Could it be the medicines you are taking? That is what I was told...

~Belle~

Old 02-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
(female)

CS7 HB User

I was wondering about the spasms as well. I get them and when I do its horrid. It hurts so bad that I have to contort myself to counter the spazz. I get a lot of fun looks when I am at work and it happens. One day I had a bad one and twisted like I was playing twister until it finally let go. Yes, seltzer water is helpful, it does contain Quinine. I have tried a pill for the cramps and it is great. Its call Hylands Leg Cramps and is usually next to the Doans back pills at the pharmacy. Another old fashioned remedy, believe it or not, is pickle juice! Now this works pretty good and fast. I dont know what it is that does it, but I try to keep a bottle of it in the fridge. It works for my dad as well and he has bad leg cramps as well.

I think this is associated with the fibro, I have ankylosing spondylitis as well. My cramps arent limited to my legs. I get the EVERYWHERE! I hate the ones in my belly muscles, not my stomach, but the outer muscles. Those can be the worst.

I get them so bad that I break down in tears (it takes a lot to actually make me cry when I am in pain) I get stuck in whatever position I am in. When I get them in my back I think of myself as quasimodo because I cant straighten.

Anyway... try pickle juice! Sounds silly but it cant hurt, right?? Seriously it does help.

cs

Old 02-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
(female)

TiredMother HB User

I get twitches as well from time to time. I find that it usually happens when I'm in one position for too long. If I'm sitting at the computer for hours on end, I'll get terrible twitches in my arms. I always wondered if it would eventually become carpel tunnel. Recently I've had terrible twitches and spasms in my legs at night - charlie horse craps. My rheumy said that was part of restless leg syndrome and FM.

I'm going to try the tonic water approach next time - possibly with gin. lol

Take care.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
(male)

Tribeof1 HB User

About a month ago, I noticed that when I lay down to rest or prepare to sleep, I will notice small random muscle twitches here and there and no where specific, just all over. I'm aware of each one but didn't think too much of it till I started jerking my limbs and sometimes my whole body. I swear one time I did such a huge total body jerk that I lifted off my bed! Occasionally I'll jerk my arm out and hit the bed or nightstand. Luckily I haven't hit my girlfriend! I have PTSD and Fibro so I am guessing for now its related to those two or their related meds?

My GF had noticed it and just figured it was par for the course, and was fine with it, hence why I love her!

I don't notice it when not resting, even when sitting still and watching TV.

Now, one possibility, and of course I'm not saying it is an absolute, is something akin to battle fatigue or shock. I think that, at least in my case, both the PTSD and then the Fibro are related to my particular case of overwhelming and continuous stress of above-average levels. I love watching war history stuff on TV and several times I saw footage from WW I and maybe conflicts after then, of soldiers diagnosed with battle fatigue/shock and several had really uncontrollable body shakes, jerks, or twitches, and some resembled the Turrets syndrome (sp?).

And if you recall, ther was the infamous incident with General Patton during WW II when he had smacked a soldier who was physically sick but also had told the General his nerves were shot and he couldn't fight anymore. I suspect he had it as well.

Nowadays, the military does recognize PTSD of course but I wonder if they are aware of the tie between it and fibro?

My two cents are that these two conditions are ultimately the reaction of extreme stressors on the body/mind and are the last line of defense to tell the body/mind that it needs a major time out. I know that once not too long ago I had gotten sick, again, and pretty much didn't do anything for about a month. At the end of the month, I noticed I felt much better mentally and physically and knew that if I was on a beach somewhere for the rest of my life, I would be able to enjoy life. However, I also had to face reality and went back to work and in short order, the pain and everything else came back.

And BTW, when I Google the jerking stuff, I got a hit of it right away being involved with fibro.

Thanks for the heads up here, and I wish everyone well, or as well as everyone can be!

Dale in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewills2 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from non stop overall body/muscle twitching. My whole body twitches from my head all the way down to my toes, it drives me crazy.. Sometimes it is so bad that I cannot sleep or it wakes me up.. My Rheumatologist put me on Cyclobenzapr which helps a bit at night but it makes me sleepy so I only take it before bed..

I had a MRI and EMG but everything came back normal, my Dr. said that they could be part of my Fibro..

Anyone else experience this?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Dale, You have a good point there. I would bet a million that a lot of the women on this board have been battered at some time in their life and might have PTSD without even knowing it. Can I have a show of hands?
A fellow Jersian,
Cat :0)

Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
(female)

environmentaled HB User

I have twitches when I rest or sleep, all over my body. I don't know if I have Fibromyalgia. It might be Benign Fasciculitis Syndrome. I've been told to meditate twice per day for 30 minutes each. This is helping a lot. I believe my twitching is due to physical or mental stress. My body requires 9 hours of sleep per night to not twitch. I also need to hike 7 miles or less per day on medium level terrain, as hiking on very steep terrain or for more than 7 miles makes me twitch badly. I also have to drink plenty of water (at least 2 liters per day). If I stretch my muscles after exercising, I will twitch less. I have been told by a chiropractic doctor to take potassium, magnesium, calcium and vitamin B to make sure the communication between my nerve cells is smooth. I want to clarify about thoughts in your head during meditation. You will hear your thoughts. Then you will not judge your thoughts or feel anything about your thoughts. You just hear them and let them pass by you. I recommend that you read "Eat Pray Love" because the woman in the story talks about how she uses meditation to help her with her anxiety. I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know if that would help. She said in that book that the thoughts that she didn't want she would send away like ships looking to dock on the island of her brain. She'd just say, "you're not welcome here," and the thoughts would go away. Otherwise if she liked the thoughts she would say "you are welcome here" and the thoughts would stay. I really liked her technique so I thought I would share it with you. Something else that really helps me when I am feeling anxious is to sing a happy song. It totally turns me around. One good one is Happy Talk from The South Pacific musical, and another is Whistle A Happy Tune from The King and I musical... I love musicals though and not everyone does, so you'll have to pick a happy song that works for you. Helping other people and getting involved in community building, volunteer work, and community service takes up a lot of my time so I don't have time to worry and I feel happy that I am helping people. As Gandhi said, (and I'm paraphrasing here) anger and anxiety have a place in the world; they can be used as fuel to make the world a better place. If you use your anxiety in a productive way by identifying problems, finding solutions and then taking actions to make society better then they were not in vain. Since my next big community project involves working on The Virtues Project, I want to practice my virtues language and tell you the virtues I see in you. I honor you for your courage in seeking help on this issue and your flexibility to see things in a different way that you had originally (by learning of others' experiences). Using the courage and flexibility that you already have, you will be able to find your solution. Go for it!!!!

Closed Thread