It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

porcelain72 HB User
Symptoms from Drinking Diet Soda

I'm a 29 year old female who has been drinking diet soda for along time. I have been experimenting and I noticed huge changes in my health when I stop drinking it. Here are the symptoms I have now:

-Anxiety
-depression
-weight gain
-loss of feeling in arms and legs
-cravings for sugar and more diet pepsi
-loss of memory
-lack of concentration
-slurred speech

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting MS. These symptoms go away when I cut out the aspartame. I've been doing this on and off for several months. If anyone would like to comment or share their story please do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Symptoms from Drinking Diet Soda

HI Porcelain and welcome - I don't drink soda but there is a lot of research into how crap soda is for you - there is lots of info on the net including people who have thought they are dying they have been so poorly - come off the soda and a renewed life - basically it is poison - but the soda companies along with the meat packing companies seem to be a law unto themselves and manage to avoid regulation............one of my rants sorry! Stay off the stuff permanently - if you do a search on this board you'll find that many have done just that - good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

SAHMof2 HB User

I have to agree with thesweetlife in that soda is bad for you. All you have to do is google it and there are lists and lists of reasons not to drink it. lol. I myself am Really addicted to Diet Dr pepper. I'm Trying to quit but it's like smoking to me in that I Crave it so badly. I'm in the South so we gotta have our sweet tea here lol and I noticed that I do feel a Lot better when I drink Tea or water. It's just kicking that DDP habit that's so hard

Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Looking at diet food or sugar free foods, drinks labels even sugar free gum most has aspartame listed

Porcelain72 Have you found this to be with only drinking your diet soda ?
i am just curious if you have cut out All foods and drinks with aspartame.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

It's the same with decaffinated coffee - due to the chemicals you're better off drinking the real thing! The challenge with ordinary sodas is that they're sooooooo full of sugar - water is the best option by far

Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

porcelain72 HB User

Hello, thanks for the replies. I do drink a lot of it, and that's why it's so noticeable when I'm off of it. I also notice that chewing gum gives me the same addictive feeling. I stopped putting splenda in my green tea everyday (again a hard habit to kick). I've been drinking diet pop since early childhood and you're right...it's like smoking. Very hard to kick. I don't smoke, and I don't drink... if only I could get off diet soda. It should even be on the market. I think that's why I have weight issues as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

If you are looking for an alternative to soda. Using stevia or truvia is the commercial name is a good sweetner and is recommended for those of us with fibro. I drink the Vitamin Water 10 which has stevia in it. Stevia can be bought to sweeten things also.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I am also addicted to the Diet Dr. Pepper!! I am trying to just have one glass in the morning and no more for the rest of the day but it is so hard!! I am hoping I will feel so much better once I am off of it completely!

Deb

Old 01-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Hi all, I am a diet coke freak! I drink five to seven every day. My son vows I will feel so much better is I get off it but I just have not been able to do it

Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Try googling the dangers of diet soda - that might help.......the stuff is pure poison.......people have been at deaths door literally and then stopped drinking the stuff and made a miraculous recovery - the stories speak for themselves. Will power is often not enough but reasons why you must give up may well help - try reducing by 1 can a week - good luck

Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
(female)

porcelain72 HB User

RE: STEVIA - Ok the Stevia is great. I'm going to kick the diet coke and take note of how I feel. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great news - and I know you will feel a great difference

Old 01-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Posted above post too quickly before I was able to write anything!! Just type in aspartame and you will see many articles written about it. It can cause so many symptoms. I am not a soda drinker...if I crave one once in a while, I will just have one with regular sugar!!! Try other things - maybe seltzer with cranberry juice with lemon and lime. Or any kind of your favorite juice in seltzer - you still get the bubbles but its healthy and NO SUGAR except what comes naturally in the juice.

MaryAnn

Old 01-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

RR_UK HB User

If you have to drink soda, drink the regular kind and do NOT touch diet at all.

Too many people have been convinced that sugar is bad for them and it is so not true in cases like these.

Diet anything really is so bad for us....the chemicals that are used to substitute sugars and fats are poison!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I just recently kicked my diet dr pepper habit (5 + a day) & I have noticed a difference. I stopped after I got a really bad kidney & bladder infection from drinking them. I was seriously addicted, but I have replaced them with green tea and water. I sweeten the green tea with honey or stevia.

Closed Thread