It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Temporarily Forgetting How to Do Things

Has anyone else had a troubling episode where they forgot how to do something that they've done hundreds of times before? I got a set of sheets when I was a very young bride more than 40 years ago that came with instructions on how to fold the fitted sheet. I have folded every fitted sheet the same since then. One time not to long ago, I forgot how. I kept lifting up the sheet, trying to put the correct parts together, and it wouldn't come to me. I finally had to put it down because it was driving me crazy. An hour later I picked it up again and folded it without a problem.

I've always accepted the odd thing like that happening at work in the past 10 years, because I had such a stressful job and there were so many things to be done. Poof, the method would vanish from my mind, or I couldn't remember who the person was to call for this or that problem. It would always come back to me a bit later.

But folding a sheet, totally relaxed at home while watching TV? That really, really disturbed me. But thinking about it later, it seemed rather funny.

Does anyone else have these momentary lapses? I've talked to people in my rheumy's office and the same things happen to them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

RR_UK HB User
Re: Temporarily Forgetting How to Do Things

Yes, this happens to me quite a lot......and I always feel so stupid.

A few days ago I had to ask my partner how to turn the TV on as I couldn't remember how to do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User

Yes, definitely, and it is usually an indication that I'm trying to do too much -- either mentally or physically. Here's a list of some of the things I've had trouble with:
  • unable to remember how to use the microwave (which I've had for 25 years) or other common household appliances
  • thinking video camera broke in mid-use at child's concert, when in fact it was my brain that broke (camera was perfect next day)
  • unable to remember where the controls on the dashboard of the car are
  • unable to sew (had made my own clothes since age 12) because I'd frequently do things backwards, upside down and inside out or couldn't understand the pattern instructions, leading me to believe they were wrong
  • unable to reach the same answer twice, adding three 3-digit numbers with a calculator
  • unable to answer the simplest questions (eg. which drinking glasses to put on the table for dinner)
  • forgetting my own phone number (which I've had since 1981)

When this happens to you, try resting a bit more and see if it helps.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

yes, Fibromites can become mentally fatigued even if we are not physically. I tend to forget names of people I should know their names????

Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
(female)

Oh yes, the names! That happens so much to me. I work in an office with more than 600 people, and I swear people say hi to me every day that I've never seen before ... lol ...

Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Would any of you be willing to tell me how old you are? I do all the type things you have described. I am 53. I have worried that it is the fibro, old age, or mental disorder?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
(female)

wondering kay HB User
Red face Re: Temporarily Forgetting How to Do Things

Hi, I've had these type of memory lapses for at least a few years, was diagniosed with fibro a few months ago ( I think ?) I'm only 47. Isn't fibro-fog great. Have a good day. Kay

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User

Sophie56,

I, too, am 53, but my memory problems started suddenly at age 33 with onset of illness. I suspect your memory problems are associated with fibro rather than old age or mental illness.

Regards, Sensitivo

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Ahhh...Fibro-Fog. I am 56 and I too have gotten lost while driving especially at night. I tend to go by landmarks rather than streets and if something as small as a corner store changes I get totally off track and can spend hours trying to find my way home. I have even called my husband to go online and get me directions because I have gone into an area I am not familiar with. I used to love getting lost. I would do it on purpose with my kids in the car just to explore. Not any more just puts me into a panic and then I get more lost...lol You have to laugh about it or we would all be way too depressed. And people's names, forget it!! Uh...I mean ummm...hmmm... Oh yeah I was going to say I sometimes can't remember my own grandkids names. It comes to me eventually but can get a little embarrasing in conversation. So we are not alone, we just can't remember who we're with...lol
Have a pain free day,
Cat ;0)

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
(female)

I'm 56. Me too: I'll be driving along on my way somewhere or other, on a frequently-travelled portion of roadway and I'll look around and think "where on earth am I? Oh well, I'll just keep driving and I'm sure I'll recognize something sooner or later". It's really spooky at the time. Yes, I now too think its fibro fog; dementia doesn't run in either side of my family - but FMS does, on my father's side.

Edited to say, I got my husband a GPS unit for the car for his last birthday. Boy has that come in handy!

Last edited by Wootton; 01-26-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I came back from a couple of days working in London - got to the train station and couldn't remember for the life of me where I'd parked my car - happens frequently - so need to write it down - then of course I need to remember where I put the piece of paper - LOL x

Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
(female)

untouchableme HB User

Hello C,

I don't so much as forget how to do things but I often lose my words. I always had a very strong vocabulary but now a lot of times I can't find the word I'm looking for. It's This happens more in the afternoon, in general focusing becomes more difficult as the day goes on. I've also found myself sometimes saying the wrong word completely even though I was thinking the correct one. I realize it almost immediately but it still disturbs me.
"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." Buddha

Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I also forget how to do things. Typing is one of them. I hardly post on here anymore because I can't remember how to type. So it takes forever. I keep getting the letters backwards. I went to secretarial school and was a secretary for years. The driving thing is scary. Two years ago when my son was only 5 we were driving home from a park we had been to many times and he had to tell me we were going the wrong way. One night my husband came home from work and asked if I knew where the remote is. We looked high and low for it, but no luck. A while later he opened the refrigerator to get a drink and guess what he found. Yup, the remote. We still haven't found the milk. LOL
To answer Sophie56- I'm only 46.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
(female)

Aberlaine9 HB User

I'm 65 and have had fibro for over fifteen years. My partner and I go through the same conversation when he says, "Don't you remember . . .?" I tell him, "No, I don't. I have fibromyalgia." Lately, he's been answering his own question.

My latest problem is that I've been getting my son and brother mixed up. A few hours ago I wrote a note to a friend and called my SIL, my DIL. I've started a conversation about my son and would call him, Jeff, my brother.

I have six grandchildren and I use the first initial of each of their names as a password so I won't forget their names. So far, so good.

When I'm driving someplace, I try to visualize the route in my head. Often there's a big blank space in the middle, like someone took an eraser and erased that part of the route. It comes back, but that's very frustrating.

I hate having fibromyalgia!!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

It's not a problem I think we over compensate for our pain and we can't keep track of everything all the time. I don't vacumn much because of my fibro and back pain, my husband does this. But everytime I decide to tackle it I can never find the on/off switch-so then I can't vacumn-it works! ha

Closed Thread