It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Cymbalta and Amitriptyline

I currently take 60mg Cymbalta once a day in the a.m. I was prescribed 25mg Amitriptyline for pain but its to help me sleep and i dont take things for 1 that help me sleep (ive slept for almost 48hrs once from a sleep aid). I have heard and read that its dangerous to mix the 2. my doctor says its fine.

Do any of you know? A voice in the back of my head tells me not to take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: Cymbalta and Amitriptyline

Ive been taking those for a good while now, the Amitriptyline for like 15 yrs now. They added cymbalta (60) when it came out. So i take both of them. Actually the amitryptyline was given to me to help me with the deep groin pain that i get on the right side, the doctor said if i slept better that it would help me with pain. It really has helped me alot, but i still get the pain there numerous times a year. Just not the entire year like it used to be.
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

My doctor initially gave my amytryptline as a sleep aid nearly a year ago and although it did work to give me a deep sleep I still had trouble getting to sleep, so he added an anti-anxiety med. Aside from tylenol, that's all I take specifically for fibro pain management at this point and it only takes the edge off.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
(female)

countesswyn1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom477 View Post
I currently take 60mg Cymbalta once a day in the a.m. I was prescribed 25mg Amitriptyline for pain but its to help me sleep and i dont take things for 1 that help me sleep (ive slept for almost 48hrs once from a sleep aid). I have heard and read that its dangerous to mix the 2. my doctor says its fine.

Hi.i went to my GP this morning and he said that Cymbalta should not be taken with any other Anti depresant as it would make one very sleepy..........Wyn

Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

bthree HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom477 View Post

I love amitriptyline. I started taking it about 5 years ago for anxiety and I've been on it ever since, with a brief stint off for about 12 months while I was pregnant and postpartum. I took Zoloft during that time.
I am on 25mg, and it does make me very sleepy. It's hard to really wake up in the mornings sometimes, but it does help with the anxiety and the pain.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I was prescribed amitriptyline when I was first diagnosed with fibro to help me sleep - i was on 10mg - I stopped after a month as whilst it certainly helped me sleep, in the mornings when I woke I felt really muzzy headed as if I was hungover (this would last for about 2 hours) plus I started to get heart palpatations - I now take a herbal other the counter sleeping aid with no side effects and I sleep. It frightened me the effect that such a low dose could have on my body in such a short space of time and therefore the potential damage that might happen over time.....

Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

My Dr. put me on a low dose (10mg) of Amitriptyline while I was still on Paxil about 3 mos ago. I had high hopes for it but I was too hungover to do anything. It also gave me nightmares. I wish I could have tolerated it long enough to see if those side effects would diminish. I am sooo sensitive to meds. I am on Cymbalta 60mg and Hydorcodone 7.5 mg. I tolerate both of those well. The Cymbalta has made me sleep a little better for some reason (Paxil did not help much) and the hydro really takes the edge off so I can function.

Closed Thread