It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

Juliel85 HB User
Afraid I will get fired for so many sick days :(

I cannot go more than 2-3 weeks without taking at least one sick day. Usually I'll work 2 weeks and by the third I'll need 1-2 days off. I haven't been at my job long....I'm coming off of FIVE days off and scared to go back to work. They know I'm having a medical problem but they don't know about my fibro. I don't think they would be too sympathetic anyways. This has always been a problem for me. Does anyone else take a lot of time off of work due to being sick?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Afraid I will get fired for so many sick days :(

Julie, when I was still working I had to reduce my days per week I worked. I had that opportunity, I know not everyone can do that. I was fortunate enough to be one of the older and higher paid workers, so my employer liked the idea I was working fewer hours. I finally had to go down to two days a week. Depending on your situation, perhaps flex time or a lighter schedule. I certainly understand your situation and wish you all the best in working it out.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

HI Julie, I went from very full time to 3 days a week - I run my own business so I didn't need to seek authorisation though of course it has meant a significant reduction in salary. If I hadn't reduced my days I think I would have been in flair ups permanaently - reduced hours is helping me to manage my fibro better

Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

Make sure you have a doctor's note for your absence this time; talk to your employer about your condition. In the meantime, do you have a good exercise routine? Even walking and/or stretching? Exercise is wonderful for pain and depression control. I work full time and have had 3 days off this year myself; you'll never be a star employee with this condition, but if your employer understands, it can go a long way towards job security. I don't know about the US, but in Canada, you cannot be fired strictly for taking too many sick days off work - thus, my recommendation to get a doctor's note.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
(male)

KWJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWootton View Post
Make sure you have a doctor's note for your absence this time; talk to your employer about your condition. In the meantime, do you have a good exercise routine? Even walking and/or stretching? Exercise is wonderful for pain and depression control. I work full time and have had 3 days off this year myself; you'll never be a star employee with this condition, but if your employer understands, it can go a long way towards job security. I don't know about the US, but in Canada, you cannot be fired strictly for taking too many sick days off work - thus, my recommendation to get a doctor's note.

Hello, just wondering.....Do you know where to find this in legislation? (you can't be fired strictly for too many sick days)
or any other place?
I just go let go today because of this..........

Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

I believe if you are in the US it is called the Family Medical Leave Act. You are given time for short term family illness and chronic illness of yourself. They don't have to hold your original position but have to offer you an alternative at the same pay rate. If they can't find one open then you are eligable for Unemployment. Don't quote me but I htink you can find all the rules and regs on the labor laws web pages. And in New Jersey we also have a seperate one from Federal that pays you for at least 12 weeks while you are home with a loved one. Hope this helps,
Cat :0)

Closed Thread