It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Does Fibromyalgia have a cousin?

I have suffered from a condition for about 4 years that resembles Fibromyalgia in some ways, however, it is different from it as well. I have been examined by a GP, neurologist and 2 rheumatoligist and they say I do NOT have it. I agree because I lack some of the main symptoms. I have taken several online quizes and only have a couple of the main symptoms.

I have widespread muscle pain, stiffness and weakness. It used to be in my legs only, but now has gone into my arms. It feels like little tight muscle spasms that I can actually feel and massage out sometimes. They always return. Even when the spasms go, the muscles are so tight that I cannot lift my shirt over my head or reach around to put on my bra.

I have no burning, no tingling, no numbness and NO pain or tenderness in those special little trigger points. Since I went on Thyroid meds for hypothyroidism, I am no longer exhausted and have a great mental attitude, considering the muscle stiffness and pain in my arms. It's driving me crazy. It difficult to sleep when your arms are so tight and sore. Legs are still tight and sore too, but better.

Does Fibromyalgia have a cousin that is sort of like him, just a little different? I would appreciate any comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

eonightmare HB User
Re: Does Fibromyalgia have a cousin?

Have you had a sleep study? Try one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

eonightmare HB User
Thumbs up Re: Does Fibromyalgia have a cousin?

[QUOTE=Kendra01;4187947]I have suffered from a condition for about 4 years that resembles Fibromyalgia in some ways, however, it is different from it as well. I have been examined by a GP, neurologist and 2 rheumatoligist and they say I do NOT have it. I agree because I lack some of the main symptoms. I have taken several online quizes and only have a couple of the main symptoms.

I have widespread muscle pain, stiffness and weakness. It used to be in my legs only, but now has gone into my arms. It feels like little tight muscle spasms that I can actually feel and massage out sometimes. They always return. Even when the spasms go, the muscles are so tight that I cannot lift my shirt over my head or reach around to put on my bra.

I have no burning, no tingling, no numbness and NO pain or tenderness in those special little trigger points. Since I went on Thyroid meds for hypothyroidism, I am no longer exhausted and have a great mental attitude, considering the muscle stiffness and pain in my arms. It's driving me crazy. It difficult to sleep when your arms are so tight and sore. Legs are still tight and sore too, but better.

Does Fibromyalgia have a cousin that is sort of like him, just a little different? I would appreciate any comments.[/QUOTEI'm suggesting you have a sleep study. The body doesn't repair if you don't get restorative sleep and lactic acid and toxins accumulate throughout your body.]

Old 02-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
(female)

TiredMother HB User

Have you had your vitamin D level checked? From my own experience, this doesn't seem to be a routine test. I went to the doctor with massive unexplained hair loss and widespread muscle pain - his answer, see a dermatologist, avoid stress (LOL!) and take aleve. The dermatologist said it was probably hormonal and see a gyno. The gyno said to relax and it may be PCOS related. Back to the GP I went - tons of blood work done, based upon those results he sent me to a rheumy. The rheumy did several tests and diagnosed me with fibro, at my last appointment I brought in the list of vitamins I read I should be taking and asked his opinion on some of then and he said - maybe we should check your vitamin D level. It came back seriously low at >5.

vitamin D deficiency can cause probelms- I have the majority, and NO ONE checked. Widespread muscle and/or bone pain is the most common symptom.

Have you been checked for Epstein Barr and Lyme Disease?

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
At 40 Dx of FM - this time I believe it -ANA 2009

Last edited by Administrator; 03-01-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Thank all of you for your ideas! You have given me a lot to check out.

I do have a Vitamin D deficiency. I was VERY low. 19 I think. They put me on 50,000 units once per week for 12 weeks. During that period I didn't get any better. In fact, when I ran out of the Vitamin D, my left leg that was hurting me every night and every morning, STOPPED hurting! I wonder Why. I can't get any more Vitamin D until I have more blood work done. The doctor is out of town and I am already paying a lot of money in out of pocket meds. I have insurance, but still it's costing me a lot.

I do have an old root canal and I know I wake up a lot a night; mostly from pain in my arm muscles. I can literally feel the muscles in knots in my arms. I can massage them out at times, but the muscles are still tight and sore.

What is so bizarre about this condition is that my mother has many of the same symptoms! This is what leads me to believe it is heredity related.

This weekend the pain was very bad. I must pick it back up and try to resolve this. It is really affecting my life.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

soapies777 HB User

May I suggest a front close bra so much easier.

Closed Thread