It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

CS7 HB User
muscle spasms.. not twitches.. SPASMS

Hi all,
I have a question that has been bothering me a while. I have fibro, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis, migraines, etc. I have suffered through all these and one symptom is awful. Muscle spasms, like a charlie horse, very tight powerful and Painful! It can be any muscle on my body. My leg/thigh, calf, hand finger, stomach (these are some of the worst, not inside gut, but the actual muscles of my stomach), even my jaw or chin/neck. It can come at anytime. I could be sitting in my chair, lean back and boom instant spasm. I have heard that this can happen with fm but the degree of it is intense to say the least. I am not very active, mainly because it hurts to darn much to do anything. I know, I know, I should try walk at least, but that is so hard since I have to use a cane just to get around now. (sorry for the segue)

Anyway, does anyone else suffer these muscle spasms to the same extent. It is embarrassing at work because sometimes I end up having to contort myself to make the cramp release. I work in a hospital so its worrisome. I scared one of my coworkers one day, I spazzed in my belly and had to stand up at the wall trying to undo it and was breathing through it like I was in labor, it was that bad.

So, does anyone else get them to that extent? Is this from the fibro or should I ask the docs to look at something else??

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

wondering kay HB User
Unhappy Re: muscle spasms.. not twitches.. SPASMS

When I have done to much I start having them in my calf, after i have been on my feet to long or to many days in a row, they will wake me out of a dead sleep. Sometimes I experience them in my side also. So I guess they just go hand in hand with fibro for some of us. Have a great day Kay!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: muscle spasms.. not twitches.. SPASMS

Yes I get debilitating spasms. The worse ones are in my back and front lower rib cage area. They curl you up in ways you never thought possible. Trying to describe the pain is difficult. I try to control them the best I can, in another thread I had mentioned the TheraCane. That is the tool I use at the least little muscle twitch to try and break it up and stop it fast. If you google the cane you'll understand what it does.
If I can't control the spasm with that I resort to muscle relaxers in quick fashion because once those things start they travel around till you either drop from exhaustion or an extra muscle relaxer knocks you out.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Yes..I do too. So bad that they wake me up in the middle of the night.

I have Flexeral when needed, and I also drink Tonic Water. My Rhumey pushes me to drink this stuff. he said it will help...starting to get used to the taste....ugh...

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
(female)

CS7 HB User

wow.. I am sorry you all suffer from them too, but now its good to know that I am not the only one.. or bad.. you know what I mean. The ones under the ribs are really bad, yes. I end up walking like Quasimodo or Igor.. over the cane and all. I joke about it after.. but during.. lordy.. its rough. I have tried pickle juice, and I do have the flexeril, but when they hit its like lightening!

I wonder if a different muscle relaxant might be good.. suggestions??

Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I'm on my third muscle relaxer, Flexeril. It works the best so far. It would be nice if we had some warnings of when the spasm would hit wouldn't it. Norflex was the first one, that did nothing.

Skelaxin was the 2nd. It worked for the most part but it did funky things to my head (like it's not funky enough with FMS) I was sending orders to people who I never spoke to that day (I swore up and down I spoke to them)or confusing customers with similar names at work. Luckily I had an understanding boss. I no longer have that job thanks to the economy

At home I have my husband massage me with tiger balm to help with the residual soreness after the spasms stop , be nice if we could stop them all. Ice packs sometimes help too.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

I get the spasms too. Once so bad, I fainted. Gee, that released it. But my rheumy told me to take tonic water.... It isn't that bad to taste.... and for me it gets rid of them quickly. I don't go anywhere far from my tonic water.

Closed Thread