It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
(female)

mp70 HB User
fibro and shots during oral surgery no longer work

I found out the hard way.

Ive never had an issue with the dentist or pain with dental shots before .Since the meds Im on make me vomit all the time my teeth are getting BAD... I had an appointment for a root canal and though the skin on the gum was numb, my nerves were not and more shots didnt work either. So I had half a root canal, couldnt stand the pain as in passing out from it while the dentist claimed I was only feeling pressure), had to have an emergency appointment with an oral surgeon and have it removed under general anesthetic.

Has anyone else had this happen?? I need a lot more work done and Im terrified.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Re: fibro and shots during oral surgery no longer work

Yes, it happened to me; also found out during a root canal but he kept giving me more and more freezing and it finally finished. Turned out the root was cracked and 15 years later had to have it pulled anyway but that's another story. Another dentist insisted that he could freeze me properly; the other dentist must have done something wrong. I fired him. I found a new dentist, but refused to have any major dental work done after that unless the dentist could assure me that there was no chance of going near a root. That worked for a few years then I had to have something done a couple of years ago; by this time I totally trusted my dentist. She said that she'd attended a course recently and learned that in some people there is a very narrow opening at the back of the jaw, and that she would need to use a super thin needle and she was sure that it would work. Fortunately, she was right. I'm thinking that its because of the TMJ or arthritic changes in the jaw bone - the other dentists didn't go to enough continuing education courses is my I guess. Or perhaps its something new they'd discovered that needs to be communicated to more dentists a little faster.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Did not have a problem, yet, with dental work but have acquired problems with anesthesia for invasive testing. I routinely had followup colonoscopy for previous polyps and had had good results from Versed. Actually I would be home and the next day before I ever came around. So I would classify myself as very easy to sedate. Since the onset of my FMS (and Lupus) I find it is almost impossible for them to sedate me. I have had Versed and it actually keeps me awake and wired for several days rather than having a relaxing effect as in the past. Now I also have the same reaction to Fentynal. I have to make sure that any anesthesia technician is well aware of this problem. I know I went through both a TEE and Heart Cath under no anesthetic effects and that was a very scary procedure to have to be awake and alert. I just wanted to add this experience as I feel that medication issues are common for a lot of us. I now have over 20 meds that give me problems (acting the opposite or having allergic reaction (SOB, itching hives, vomiting, etc) I just caution one that has had a bad experience to be cautious in adding new meds. I try to start with 1/2 of a pill (when splittable) and then go full strength if I have no side effects. Also I keep Benadryl with me at all times.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

mp70 HB User

THANK YOU for the replies!
I was afraid I was just weird or something because i'd never heard of it before along with fibro and lupus.

Gold, I understand about the paradoxal effect with meds... I too have the opposite reactions with versed, morphine,demerol etc etc ... and this JUST started about 2-3 yrs ago with the onset of Fibro symptoms. Enough fentanyl WILL knock me out, but it takes too much and the docs wont let me have it anymore. Im on Vicodin and it does barely anything.
**THANK YOU** for letting me know this is common with FIbro/lupus. I do feel as if my life was taken from me and I really dont know my own body anymore... and what irks me beyond belief is when you tell a Dr that a pain med isnt working and they think youre lying or a whiner!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

Mp70, do a search for my experience with Low Dose Naltrexone on this and the Lupus board. It is an off-label use for enhancing the body's endorphins so that the perception of pain is altered. I have had fairly good response with it's use. It is now in development stages/studies for distribution at low dosages. I have other health issues that preclude my using the only pain meds left at my disposal, but I also have codiene and Demerol problems so I am extremely limited as to using pain meds. So far my Tramadol and LDN is holding me for now. I just hate to use my only alternative heavy duty pain killer as I never know when I may really need it for an emergency. I fully understand your dilemma as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Yes..I have an issue with my gumsx numbing. It takes SEVERAL shots to get me numb if at all. They would use so much novacane that it would make me sick to my stomache.

So now, the dentist that I go to has to make a small drill incission under the tooth in question and put some sort of small tube in where they can shoot the novacane in. He said i am one of the very few he does this too...I wonder if they could have Fibro too?

My dentist said some people are just more sensitive to pain then others....

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

lallerb HB User

I'm so sorry you've had such a traumatic experience. Apparently, you're not alone.

I've had the same exact problem with my root canals, although it's been awhile since I've had one. I have to endure the drilling pain until the dentist drills down and exposes the root. At that point the novacaine is injected directly into the exposed root before I feel any relief. I'm okay from that point on. Next time I have to have a root canal I'm going to find a dentist who will put me in "twilight sleep" where you're sedated to the point you don't care what's being done to you.

The other thing I wanted to mention is the shots themselves. Thanks to another user here (I don't remember who...I'm sorry, but thanks to whoever you are) I learned the shots normally have a stimulent in them, which explains why I always had extreme anxiety, heart palpitations and generally feel like I'm going to die. Afterwards, I feel like I'd been through the wringer. I also learned that they can give you the shot minus the stimulent. I had to go to my doctor for medical clearance on the change, but It's made all the difference in the world. I felt relatively good after my work a week ago.

I hope you find this post helpful in some way, and I hope the going is easier on you in the future.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
(female)

TiredMother HB User

Oh yeah - I've had the same issues. I can tell you that the dentist makes a HUGE difference. I had one dentist attempt to numb me with 10 shots over a relatively short period of time and I kept saying that it wasn't working. In frustration, (because he thought I was lying I guess) he attempted to start the root canal before I was numb and he about had to peel me off the ceiling. (In retrospect, it's too bad certain body parts of his weren't within kicking range!) He was an idiot - I jumped up and left the office. They sent me a bill and I didn't pay it - never heard from him again, I guess he figured it out. So it was years before I would go back to a dentist. Then, I saw a dentist that was one of my husband's client - and I went in and explained to him I was hard to numb. He asked me a ton of questions, examined my mouth and said he was 100% sure he could numb me. 1 shot - I was completely numb. Now I've seen him for years and there have only been 2 occasions he had difficulty with - but he eventually got the right spot. He was extremely patient and knew I was very nervous. Honestly, if he left the country - I'd still make my appointments with him and travel to see him. He told me that sometimes people with fibro have very fibrous gums and it makes it difficult to hit the right place. I have also had needles bend during injections - so apparently my gums are uber strong. LOL

Good luck, your not alone.
At 40 Dx of FM - this time I believe it -ANA 2009

Closed Thread